What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

One also has to admire the approach that Sony has taken over the past few years - building an army of goodwill, or a cult of Sony (like a Cult of Apple in a way), that really expresses loyalty to the brand, which has also resulted in continued customers transitioning from Nikon and Canon over to Sony.

tl;dr but no, I don't admire that. Whether or not it was a deliberate strategy on their part, Sony trolls bring down the level of discussion on this forum and sometimes make it an unpleasant place to be. I'd rather everyone discussed the pros and cons of products, their desires and hopes, their techniques, etc, rather than the juvenile name calling we see so often online. If that's the model to ape, then count me out of forums in future (thankfully, usually this is just temporary, I'm sure it'll all die down in a few months' time).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Hi guys, most probably this has been discussed somewhere but I must have missed it. Somehow I cannot find a place online where they have an RF/EF adapter available. It looks like they are in backorder. I don't have any RF lens. Any suggestion/idea?
Sorry I cannot help, they seems to be back ordered everywhere.

Interestingly when the R and the RP came out they were giving them away with the kits and loads of them were on craigslist so I bought 1 for each of my EF lens (I hated switching it) they were super cheap.

Edit: Have you looked at the RF 35 1.8? I really like this little lens and it is cheap. Something to start the RF collection and get you shooting.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Has anyones local shops gotten the R5 in? Mine was supposed to get some in for those who preordered through them, but I haven't gotten a call and IF I have to wait until November I WILL be jumping ship to Sony and returning ALL the RF gear I've purchased for a full refund.
Wow, that sounds scary, Canon, watch out!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Not exactly. But I think I did hear about some YouTube celeb shooting a bunch of stills, then shooting video and the stills shooting drastically cut into the video thermal limit window.
Well, it looks like for some of the "YouTube celeb" the R5 is overheating while unboxing...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, most probably this has been discussed somewhere but I must have missed it. Somehow I cannot find a place online where they have an RF/EF adapter available. It looks like they are in backorder. I don't have any RF lens. Any suggestion/idea?
Amazon has Canon-brand adapters used at premium prices. There are a few Canon-brand adapters on Ebay, most shipping from Hong Kong or Japan.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Has anyones local shops gotten the R5 in? Mine was supposed to get some in for those who preordered through them, but I haven't gotten a call and IF I have to wait until November I WILL be jumping ship to Sony and returning ALL the RF gear I've purchased for a full refund.
Wow! Fickle and impatient! Buying local is great if you have a local store, which I don’t. But if you wanted one early, why didn’t you order from Adorama or B&H on 9 July? Received my R5 from B&H yesterday.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The situation is overblown as always. Every time Canon has an issue the world is ending according to some news sites.

The a7sIII shuts down in 30 minutes recording 4k24p. They should recall even this camera right?

Sony a7S III heat testing update. Had it out again for one last set of tests before returning our pre-production unit to Sony. Once again bright sunny day, mid-afternoon, 90F, but this time lower humidity (31% vs 51%). Auto temp power off set to high (again), but this time rear screen swung a full 180 degrees away from body. Only lasted 30 minutes this time. For now, my results are very similar to Dan Watson’s down in Florida.

Follow Philip Bloom for accurate A7Slll content, to my knowledge, he's had the camera for the past 8 weeks. His (unpaid) extended review is due out soon.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020

If you are a videographer and you won't lose any money returning gear, I'd say go for it. The A7SIII is a near perfect video camera as long as IBIS is not that important to you.

If photos are important to you, or you have some kind of balanced hybrid workflow, I'd stick with the R5. This is assuming you can work with the heating and recording time limitations.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Sure the newer EF lenses are going to be great but expect compatibility issues galore for older EF lenses. That was never mentioned. When the EOS 1R comes out next year, it’s going to be a punch in the gut if you don’t already have all new glass.
Has there been any update on an R1 next year? This would be great news.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
When I say overhype, I was reference more that was their lead in on the R5. They NEVER sated any capability and to your comment most people did not believe the spec. The problem is that the issues was totally blown ourt of proportion by the reviewers. We seem to have a culture that is more interested in finding flaws that recognizing IBIS (which can you have spotlighted more), Animal / People AF, etc. I am not sure it would have made a difference in the long run, but a lot of folks want controversy that will generate more clicks, likes and even negative reaction. I have had a very realistic view since learning about the 8k and my expectation was 3-5 minute clips at most.
Hi, I'm not sure your reply was meant for me? Obviously something has annoyed you but not sure what it is as I dont think any of my posts have been critical of anyone??

Upvote 0
The width of the mount is the same. The distance to the sensor has just changed.

That's the big one, doing away with retrofocus lens design issues, and getting the lens closer to the sensor.

I always wondered how much difference the wider/bigger mounts actually made in practice, the Zeiss OTUS always tested better on Nikon's tiny mount, same glass, just on a different mount.

Back in the day, the tiny mount of Leica M's always tested better than the SLR's too, no mirror box again.

Upvote 0

jcfalconer

Falconer
Sep 13, 2014
Time to start your RF lens collection, then. ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
This is an absolute nail in the coffin of the R6 and I was really hoping to buy it.

But just listen to what he says; Canon has been very upfront and have written down what you can record and for how long. The End. That he still thinks it’s “just on paper” and completely different to experience in the field than to read it on paper is utter bullshit.

no one ever said this is a replacement for the Cinema series, and they are indeed open and with fans. WTF did people expect?

I tried to use my TV as a surfboard, it failed, and now I can’t even watch anything on it. RECALL RECALL MAJOR ISSUE!

please

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Being on the west coast, I set my alarm for 5:30AM to order the R5 once it was announced (I've never participated in a camera "launch" before, so I figured it would be like Apple products that go on sale once they are announced -- not once the presentation starts). As such, I am fairly certain I bought it within the first hour of it being available on B&H (my confirmation email didn't arrive until around 6:03AM). The R5 availability email from B&H arrived at 5:23AM, so at worst I ordered it in the first 40 minutes I believe. Anyways, I guess that was too late because today I received the backorder email from B&H, so I guess I probably won't be getting it until November? I've gone ahead and canceled my RF lens orders, and will probably be returning the only one that's arrived so far -- it doesn't make sense to have them sitting around unused and eating up their one month return period. I'll reorder them closer to the actual ship date in case there's any issues with them that I can't find until actually trying them. At this point I don't know what to want -- if there's going to be some hardware change I guess I prefer to be part of the second batch? Who knows. I have to say that regardless of the product itself, this launch seems... chaotic. The email from B&H seems really vague, saying it is "still backordered", treating it like I purchased an existing item that was clearly marked backordered at the time, instead of the reality of being one of the first to order an item in very short supply and messaging it that way (this portion is of course not Canon's fault, but it's part of a larger weird experience).

• Wow
Upvote 0
This is why I like to read here and other camera forums - you generally can get a sense of what normal everyday people think - pros and hobbists - without any of the Youtube/Influencer crap.

I'm a former Canon 5D shooter, one who switched to Sony when they introduced the original A7R, and purely for the EVF as I had a need for "run & gun video."

Very interested in the RF glass, its perfect for my requirements; 15-35 (stabilized for video), 50/1.2 (portrait/GP lens), and that super compact 70-200/2.8 (this one is superb), that's it, I'm happy.

Simply here trying to figure out *if* this new R5 is going to work for me. So far, on the stills side, it ticks all the boxes, bar the electronic shutter being capped at 1/8000th, that's the one issue I have with the A7RlV too.

The video side looks superb (if the overheat issue can be resolved via firmware). I'm hopeful here as Sony had the same issues early on, every early Sony model suffered the overheat issue, and If I remember correctly, it was the A7Rll that overheated in 4K until we got a firmware update and then it became a non-issue.

So I'm hopeful Canon can offer up firmware a fix too.

Maybe Canon just need to be less conservative on the thermal cut-out point, and raise it a little, we suspected thats what Sort did early on too.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

gerald undone had tested R5 recording using atomos external recorder.
he said 4K 60 recording using external recorder is fine & not limited by heat.

Thanks for the info, already saw this when he first posted it and I immediately ordered a Ninja V. Got hte Ninja V, but my R5 is delayed. However while this gives me limitless 4K60 it still means that if I ever want to use the 4K120 mode I must do so at the start of a shooting day, otherwise the accumulated heat buildup will already be too much for the camera to even start recording.

Upvote 0