What about a new 50/1.4 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwil

Canon hasn’t introduced a standard (excluding macro and DO) non-L prime since 1995. Their line of thinking is probably that most folks buying xxxD and xxD cameras want zooms, and most folks buying xD’s want L’s. One could also surmise that because it’s been in production for over 18 years, the ROI is pretty high on it too. Why replace a high margin product with one that would require R&D, factory retooling, defect management, and marketing- only to have folks complain about how expensive it is?

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
mathino said:
Some patents were released/filled, but it's hard to guess if something like new 50 f/1.4 will be released. If you need that focal length then I would suggest to go for Sigma 50 f/1.4 - it's a decent lens and yes it is usable on 1.4 and I think that it has better bokeh.

+1 for the sigma
Real usm, (in my opinion) better bokeh & great IQ at f2.0 and wider. Those are my top 3 reasons for chosing the sigma...

Upvote 0
katwil said:
Canon hasn’t introduced a standard (excluding macro and DO) non-L prime since 1995. Their line of thinking is probably that most folks buying xxxD and xxD cameras want zooms, and most folks buying xD’s want L’s. One could also surmise that because it’s been in production for over 18 years, the ROI is pretty high on it too. Why replace a high margin product with one that would require R&D, factory retooling, defect management, and marketing- only to have folks complain about how expensive it is?

Nikon redid their 50 f1.4 and its a stellar lens, I hope canon produce something similar also the new Nikon 50 f1.4G is about the same price as the canon 50 f1.4 and its a superior lens

Upvote 0
G

gb2012

Zo0m said:
mathino said:
Some patents were released/filled, but it's hard to guess if something like new 50 f/1.4 will be released. If you need that focal length then I would suggest to go for Sigma 50 f/1.4 - it's a decent lens and yes it is usable on 1.4 and I think that it has better bokeh.

+1 for the sigma
Real usm, (in my opinion) better bokeh & great IQ at f2.0 and wider. Those are my top 3 reasons for chosing the sigma...

Hi all,
I'm also waiting for any news…

I'm buying a new 50mm lens within the next 3 or 4 months (baby coming soon).
50mm is my favourite portrait focal length on my 7D. I also have the great 85mm f/1.8 but I don't use as much as I use my 50mm f/1.8.

I'm pondering between the 50L f/1.2 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4. But since 50mm is my favourite focal length, I'm thinking of getting the best possible and go for the L (not that I need the 1.2..it would be nice to have it, but I would stop it down a little bit...I'm considering the Canon for it's sharpness, color, contrast, built quality, etc).

I'm not so concerned about the price tag here…

How does the Sigma compare with the 50L?

Rgds
GB

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
If the perfectly respectable, compact, though long in the tooth EF 50 f/1.4 doesn't do it for you the Sigma 50 f/1.4 is class glass. It's much bigger and heavier than the EF 50mm but does have the side benefit of taking 77mm filters which is in line with plenty of other Canon L glass.

The venerable EF 50 f/1.4 still sells in large numbers, and it's been suggested on other threads in this forum that Canon would be unlikely to release a new 50 that would eat into sales of the halo EF 50 f/1.2L.

FWIW I replaced my EF 50 f/1.4 with the Sigma and though it is a perfectly fine lens, I think the only real gain has been extra weight in my bag.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
nounours18200 said:
Is there any news about a replacement of the (very) old 50/1.4 ??

There have been rumors of an update, and as many times as they've updated the 50 1.8, it doesn't sound unreasonable. Also, the 50 1.4 is an incredibly popular lens, I had one before the 50L, and its been the first prime purchase for a lot of my friends new to DSLRs.

Upvote 0
gb2012 said:
Zo0m said:
mathino said:

+1 for the sigma

Hi all,

50mm is my favourite portrait focal length on my 7D. I also have the great 85mm f/1.8 but I don't use as much as I use my 50mm f/1.8.

I'm pondering between the 50L f/1.2 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4. But since 50mm is my favourite focal length, I'm thinking of getting the best possible and go for the L (not that I need the 1.2..it would be nice to have it, but I would stop it down a little bit...I'm considering the Canon for it's sharpness, color, contrast, built quality, etc).

Rgds
GB

I disscussed this with one guy who owns both of them and he said his favourite 50 mm lens is Sigma 50 f/1.4 and that there is not so huge difference (in real life situations, not test charts) between them. So unless you really need 1.2 aperture I suggest to go for Sigma. For a little plus over Canon EF 50 f/1.4 you get a nice lens that performs fine even wide open (we are buying primes to shoot them at narrow apertures).

I had both Canon EF 50 f/1.4 and Sigma 50 f/1.4 for a little unscientific test and (for me) Sigma is the winner. This is a lens I will probably pick up as my 50 mm lens for FF in the future.

If you want I can send you some pics from my findings :)

Regards

Upvote 0
G

gb2012

mathino said:
gb2012 said:
Zo0m said:
mathino said:

+1 for the sigma

Hi all,

Rgds
GB

I disscussed this with one guy who owns both of them and he said his favourite 50 mm lens is Sigma 50 f/1.4 and that there is not so huge difference (in real life situations, not test charts) between them. So unless you really need 1.2 aperture I suggest to go for Sigma. For a little plus over Canon EF 50 f/1.4 you get a nice lens that performs fine even wide open (we are buying primes to shoot them at narrow apertures).

I had both Canon EF 50 f/1.4 and Sigma 50 f/1.4 for a little unscientific test and (for me) Sigma is the winner. This is a lens I will probably pick up as my 50 mm lens for FF in the future.

Regards

Thank you all for the feedback.

Mathino,
If you don't mind, I really would like to see those pics.

My concern with the Sigma is the possible focus issues (but I know it's more bad-mouthed than in fact it is).

I have a Sigma myself and I'm very happy with it (17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM). +6MFA on my 7D seemed to give me very good results across the whole range (and subject distance as well). It's a good, and very sharp lens, I use it very often (very good match with my 70-200 f4 IS).

Before that, I had a Sigma 18-50mm Macro....I had focus issues and I decided to return it and replaced by a Canon 15-85mm (at that time, my camera body didn't have the MFA, it was a 40D).

Cheers
GB

Upvote 0
I once owned the 50mm 1.4.

I must say that I do like the look of the pictures at 1.4. Nonetheless, the pictures are pretty soft at that aperature. And the lens suffers from purple fringing, at night. ( Both of my copies were the same ).

Another thing I didnt like about this lens is the minimum focusing distance. You do need to be quite a way away to focus. Overall, a fun lens to use, but for me, it wasnt practical and too much pain to use for the return of what it can do.

so I sold it.

then bought another one cos I thought I missed it.

but nope, I realised why I sold it soon after I bought it back so I sold my 2nd copy. Never looked back.

Upvote 0
katwil said:

I'm an enthusiast who owns a 5Dmk2, and here's what I think:

I bought the Canon 35mm f/2, and am not too happy with it. The 35mm f/1.4 L is too expensive for me - I can't pay U.S.$1,000+ on *every* lens I buy. Reviews say the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 is great. It doesn't autofocus, but at that focal length, I can live with that. I plan on selling the 35mm f/2 and buying the Samyang.

Reviews say the 24mm f/2.8 has mediocre IQ, and it's only 1 stop faster than the 24-105mm f/4 which I usually carry anyway. The 24mm f/1.4 L mark II is too expensive for me. Samyang has announced a 24mm f/1.4 lens. If it's price & reviews are like the 35mm, then I might buy it as well.

A co worker is in a similar position. He has a 5D mark 2, he has a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM, but with a family to feed, he can't cough up price of L primes. Actually, all his primes are by Sigma (an 85mm f/1.4, a macro, etc), and he is happy with both the price and the photos.

Upvote 0
gb2012 said:
mathino said:
gb2012 said:
Zo0m said:
mathino said:

+1 for the sigma

Hi all,

Rgds
GB

Regards

Thank you all for the feedback.

Mathino,
If you don't mind, I really would like to see those pics.

My concern with the Sigma is the possible focus issues (but I know it's more bad-mouthed than in fact it is).

I have a Sigma myself and I'm very happy with it (17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM). +6MFA on my 7D seemed to give me very good results across the whole range (and subject distance as well). It's a good, and very sharp lens, I use it very often (very good match with my 70-200 f4 IS).

Before that, I had a Sigma 18-50mm Macro....I had focus issues and I decided to return it and replaced by a Canon 15-85mm (at that time, my camera body didn't have the MFA, it was a 40D).

Cheers
GB

I've sent you message here on CR with links to those shots. Hope that it will help you to decide for which lens to go. And IMHO if you have 7D and possibility to micro-adjust AF for lens then it'll be ok. I suggest to test the Sigma before buying. I don't know about your country/store but I asked if there is possibility to adjust camera and lens together to have AF working correctly and they said it can be serviced within warranty. There is also a 4 years warranty in here where I live on Sigma lenses.

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

I'll echo gb2012's request for a few pics up. Won't be buying either as I already have the L, but I would like to keep my options for future purchases open.

mathino said:
gb2012 said:
Zo0m said:
mathino said:

+1 for the sigma

Hi all,

Rgds
GB

Regards

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

i would love to see a new canon EF 50mm f1.4.

i don´t shoot that much with a 50mm prime to justify the 50mm f1.2 but i would pay for an 50mm f1.4 MK2 in the 500 euro range. if it has a stellar IQ i would go up to 600 euro (the EF 50mm f1.4 costs 299-320 euros here).

i really think canon should produce such a lens.
as said nikon has one that is really good.
with todays technologie it should be no problem to outperform the old model easily.

and what is the best sensor technologie worth with medicore lenses in front of it?? ;)

the sigma 50mm f1.4 has very mixed reviews.

the review on photozone is very positiv... the review on digital-picture not so much.
when i read from user experience it seems to be an 50:50 mix of love and hate.

i don´t know if it´s the usual dreaded sigma quality management.
but i stay away from sigma if possible.

Upvote 0
K

KHAWACHEN

Bought > Sold > ? > Bough again > Sold again

haha i have done that too and it's happening to me again but with Sigma 30mm 1.4, haven't bought it yet but feel the itch to do so... :mad:

00Q said:
I once owned the 50mm 1.4.

I must say that I do like the look of the pictures at 1.4. Nonetheless, the pictures are pretty soft at that aperature. And the lens suffers from purple fringing, at night. ( Both of my copies were the same ).

Another thing I didnt like about this lens is the minimum focusing distance. You do need to be quite a way away to focus. Overall, a fun lens to use, but for me, it wasnt practical and too much pain to use for the return of what it can do.

so I sold it.

then bought another one cos I thought I missed it.

but nope, I realised why I sold it soon after I bought it back so I sold my 2nd copy. Never looked back.

Upvote 0
Ellen Schmidtee said:
I bought the Canon 35mm f/2, and am not too happy with it.

I would be interested in why you were not happy with the 35mm f/2 (or anyone else who has used this lens)

I have read universally positive reviews on the 35mm f/2. Very good value for the price. Very sharp lens. Noisy AF is really the only consistent complaint?

I haven't used this lens, but was considering purchasing it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.