What do people want to see in the Canon EOS R1? PetaPixel gives their thoughts

Sep 20, 2020
I'm curious....

Can you list the still shooting compromises they have to make when having video on the camera too?

I honestly can't think of any....

cayenne
I can theoretically but not if the photos are 30+ FPS anyway.
As long as we care about fast readout and a decent buffer they may as well throw in decent video.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For 8K video, the devil is in the details with the A1. No raw (even with crop) ie only via codecs with 200/400Mbs to V60/V90 UHS-ii cards. They use the full 50mp sensor width and oversample to 8K but only 4:2:0 rather than 4:2:2
Sony added 4:2:2 in a firmware update.
It might not be available everywhere since heat tolerance rules vary from country to country.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't want to pour cold water on people's hopes, and I don't doubt Canon is working hard to make strides, but if you want more of everything and no overheating and better battery life then I think you'll be disappointed by reality. More resolution, especially in video modes, two high power card slots, higher framerates etc will generate more heat and use more power, right? So even if they make their processors more efficient, and increase their battery capacity, it might be eaten up by the other advances. My current phone's battery lasts about as long per charge as the one I had five years ago, even though it has a higher capacity. Physics is physics.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't want to pour cold water on people's hopes, and I don't doubt Canon is working hard to make strides, but if you want more of everything and no overheating and better battery life then I think you'll be disappointed by reality. More resolution, especially in video modes, two high power card slots, higher framerates etc will generate more heat and use more power, right? So even if they make their processors more efficient, and increase their battery capacity, it might be eaten up by the other advances. My current phone's battery lasts about as long per charge as the one I had five years ago, even though it has a higher capacity. Physics is physics.
The usual procedure being:
1: exaggerated high expectations
2: disappointment with the actual camera
3: Canon bashing
4: ship-jumping menaces
5: well, all things considered, the camera is really fine, sells well and the ships are not jumped into

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Global Shutter stacked sensors do exist.
I believe there is one in the RED Komodo.
I am not sure there is any other way to create one using a CMOS sensor.
KOMODO 6K Image

SENSOR TYPE KOMODO® 19.9 MP Super 35mm Global Shutter CMOS

Upvote 0
I don't want to pour cold water on people's hopes, and I don't doubt Canon is working hard to make strides, but if you want more of everything and no overheating and better battery life then I think you'll be disappointed by reality. More resolution, especially in video modes, two high power card slots, higher framerates etc will generate more heat and use more power, right?

Physics is physics.
Yup. All toggles costs power, so more toggles costs more power.
The dynamic power consumption Pd is given by
Pd=V^2*C*f
V is the voltage, C is the capacitance charged/discharged and f is the effective frequency. Changing the process node for (say) the DIGIC processor reduces the capacitance and sometimes also the operating voltage.
In low power design, one of the most effective ways to reduce power consumption is to stop the toggling from occurring.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How about building in about 1TB of memory on the thing....like some other cameras are doing?
No thanks. I don’t want a camera that bricks if a file is corrupted. I don’t want to try and maintain folders and files from the back of the camera. I don’t want a TB of files on my camera to sift through. I don’t want to be limited to a single TB of files if I’m on an extended trip or, alternatively, have to bring along a laptop and drive and spend hours transferring files while traveling.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No thanks. I don’t want a camera that bricks if a file is corrupted. I don’t want to try and maintain folders and files from the back of the camera. I don’t want a TB of files on my camera to sift through. I don’t want to be limited to a single TB of files if I’m on an extended trip or, alternatively, have to bring along a laptop and drive and spend hours transferring files while traveling.
I presume the internal storage would be in addition to card slots, not instead of them. That’s how it is on my old Vixia M41 camcorder (32 GB internal plus two card slots). Lower models in the same line had just the slots.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'd be curious to know who on this forum plans to buy an R1? Not in a facetious way, but genuinely curious. Personally just an observer on this one. Highest I'd go is an R3 at some point down the line.
If there are advantages for me compared to my R3, I’d certainly buy an R1. QPAF, for example. Also, I’d like to see better extreme defocus capability with long lenses. The R3 is great at tracking, but thing I notice is that I sometimes need to give it a MF assist when changing from a very close to a more distant subject. I had wondered if this was just with my adapted 600/4 II, but the 100-300/2.8 behaves similarly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm curious....

Can you list the still shooting compromises they have to make when having video on the camera too?

I honestly can't think of any....

cayenne
Agreed. I've never been able to figure out how video features degrade still photos or the stills shooting experience. The only thing I can figure is that the "stills only camera" crowd thinks the price would drop? Not so.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
If there are advantages for me compared to my R3, I’d certainly buy an R1. QPAF, for example. Also, I’d like to see better extreme defocus capability with long lenses. The R3 is great at tracking, but thing I notice is that I sometimes need to give it a MF assist when changing from a very close to a more distant subject. I had wondered if this was just with my adapted 600/4 II, but the 100-300/2.8 behaves similarly.
Every mirrorless camera I have had, regardless of brand, seems to have AF trouble going from far to close and close to far with a zoom lens. This is why I would love to see in-camera AF limiter settings on Canon cameras as they are on my Olympus/Om System cameras. It's why I prefer my OM-1 to my R7 for bird photography. Personally, not in the market for an R1, but would love to see this feature on Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Do you have the same problems with your RF 100-400 and 100-500?

Upvote 0