What does the AD-E1 actually do?

Jul 21, 2010
I'm wondering will companies like Yongnuo update their flashes hotshoes to fit the R6ii's etc better?
I doubt it. The existing 'old-style' foot works in the hotshoe of all Canon cameras, if they update it to the new multifunction shoe connection, their flashes will only work on the newest R-series bodies. Seems like that would be shooting themselves in the multifunction foot, so to speak.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
On the flash is ETTL with high speed sync.
On the camera is
Flash firing Enable
ETTL Balance Standard
ETTL Meter Evaluative
Cont flasg ctrl ETTL each shot
Slow synchro 1/180
Are these the settings you were asking about?
Please post a few pictures with EXIF Data (metadata) intact. Rear Curtain Sync only works with a shutter speed of 1/30th of sec or slower. Or 1st curtain sync will be applied automatically even if the speedlite is set to rear curtain sync. High Speed Sync (HSS) only works with a shutter speed above 1/180th sec. If your at sync speed or lower. 1st curtain sync is applied automatically even if the speedlite is set to High Speed Sync (HSS).

Upvote 0
Something isn't right. Do other Canon speedlites cause this too. This shouldn't happen at all. What was the ambient lighting in the picture because it looks quite dark. The camera meters the scene without flash as if flash isn't being used. Did the speedlite fire an AF Assist Beam. Heavy use of the AF Assist Beam can cause the speedlite to discharge quickly. Note with R series cameras the AF Assist Beam emission method from a speedlite is Intermittent Flash Firing. The IR grid will not be projected all. Even if the speedlite has a personal function for both IR and Intermittent Flash Firing. Intermittent Flash Firing takes precedence over IR. But note depending on ambient lighting an AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite.

Upvote 0
Something isn't right. Do other Canon speedlites cause this too. This shouldn't happen at all. What was the ambient lighting in the picture because it looks quite dark. The camera meters the scene without flash as if flash isn't being used. Did the speedlite fire an AF Assist Beam. Heavy use of the AF Assist Beam can cause the speedlite to discharge quickly. Note with R series cameras the AF Assist Beam emission method from a speedlite is Intermittent Flash Firing. The IR grid will not be projected all. Even if the speedlite has a personal function for both IR and Intermittent Flash Firing. Intermittent Flash Firing takes precedence over IR. But note depending on ambient lighting an AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite.
That's what I was thinking. Other brands of flash work fine on both cameras, it's just the Canon flash that does not. Even with the new adapter. There was ambient light, but I had selected setting so the flash would have to fire and it did, just was not captured on the photos.

Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking. Other brands of flash work fine on both cameras, it's just the Canon flash that does not. Even with the new adapter. There was ambient light, but I had selected setting so the flash would have to fire and it did, just was not captured on the photos.
Full Electronic Shutter is NOT compatible with Flash photography. Retest with EFC or Full Mechanical. The speedlite will NOT fire in full electronic shutter mode.Screenshot 2023-03-17 174947.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Full Electronic Shutter is NOT compatible with Flash photography. Retest with EFC or Full Mechanical. The speedlite will NOT fire in full electronic shutter mode.View attachment 207964
I’m still not sure what the problem here is, I will try and replicate his flash settings on my camera today, time permitting.

But to clarify, the camera being used is an R3, which CAN fire a flash with full electronic shutter. That’s made possible by the fast readout speed of the stacked sensor, although the max sync speed of 1/180 s is slightly slower than with EFCS (1/250 s) or full mechanical (1/200 s).

Upvote 0
Still doing the same thing in full mechanical shutter mode. he flash does go off, but the photos are dark.
Is the speedlite firing an AF Assist Beam. This could be discharging the speedlite. Heavy use of the AF Assist Beam can discharge the speedlite quickly. Especially when the speedlite is using Intermittent Flash Firing.

Upvote 0
I’m still not sure what the problem here is, I will try and replicate his flash settings on my camera today, time permitting.

But to clarify, the camera being used is an R3, which CAN fire a flash with full electronic shutter. That’s made possible by the fast readout speed of the stacked sensor, although the max sync speed of 1/180 s is slightly slower than with EFCS (1/250 s) or full mechanical (1/200 s).
Ok did not know that the R3 didn't have this limitation. That other R series cameras have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On the flash is ETTL with high speed sync.
On the camera is
Flash firing Enable
ETTL Balance Standard
ETTL Meter Evaluative
Cont flasg ctrl ETTL each shot
Slow synchro 1/180
Are these the settings you were asking about?
Those are mainly default except for HSS (not clear if your slow synchro is 1/180 auto or fixed so I tried both). Couldn’t replicate your issue when matching your settings with one of my 600EX-RTs (not MkII).

In a dark room (the EVF looked like your second shot, could barely make out the scene) focusing was with the camera’s assist lamp not the flash, and was snappy. Tried shutter speeds of 1/60 s (auto) and 1/1000 s, ISO of 6400 (auto) and 200.

It then occurred to me that maybe I was making it too easy because I used the lens that’s usually on my camera at home, the RF 28-70/2. So I switched to the RF 100-400 (f/5.6 at the short end) and repeated. Same scene, but the EVF was black. Focusing strobed the flash head main tube for assist. Shots still came out with proper flash exposure.

I presume you have good batteries in the flash. Maybe try cleaning the flash contact pins (cotton swab, isopropyl alcohol). Some things to try might be resetting all the flash C.Fns (mine are all default), resetting your camera to factory settings (you can copy your settings to a memory card first and restore them if the reset doesn’t help).

Upvote 0
Those are mainly default except for HSS (not clear if your slow synchro is 1/180 auto or fixed so I tried both). Couldn’t replicate your issue when matching your settings with one of my 600EX-RTs (not MkII).

In a dark room (the EVF looked like your second shot, could barely make out the scene) focusing was with the camera’s assist lamp not the flash, and was snappy. Tried shutter speeds of 1/60 s (auto) and 1/1000 s, ISO of 6400 (auto) and 200.

It then occurred to me that maybe I was making it too easy because I used the lens that’s usually on my camera at home, the RF 28-70/2. So I switched to the RF 100-400 (f/5.6 at the short end) and repeated. Same scene, but the EVF was black. Focusing strobed the flash head main tube for assist. Shots still came out with proper flash exposure.

I presume you have good batteries in the flash. Maybe try cleaning the flash contact pins (cotton swab, isopropyl alcohol). Some things to try might be resetting all the flash C.Fns (mine are all default), resetting your camera to factory settings (you can copy your settings to a memory card first and restore them if the reset doesn’t help).
Do you think @werunhsv was discharging the speedlite due to heavy use of the speedlite's AF Assist Beam. Edit I rechecked the the EXIF Data. The camera was set to Servo AF. So the camera or speedlite won't fire an AF Assist Beam. @neuroanatomist you said that the AF Assist Beam fired from the speedlite and the camera in different tests. Were you using One Shot AF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll try those.
What lenses are you using by any chance. Are you using fast aperture lenses or slow aperture lenses. Also for a test try using One Shot AF. All of @neuroanatomist test the AF Assist Beam fired. But you haven't mentioned anything about the AF Assist Beam. Since your camera is set to Servo AF. Also post some example pictures after the settings have been changed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do you think @werunhsv was discharging the speedlite due to heavy use of the speedlite's AF Assist Beam. Edit I rechecked the the EXIF Data. The camera was set to Servo AF. So the camera or speedlite won't fire an AF Assist Beam. @nueroanatomist you said that the AF Assist Beam fired from the speedlite and the camera in different tests. Were you using One Shot AF.
I was using One Shot. Tried Servo, as you say no AF assist but still a proper flash exposure.

I should also note that it’s certainly possible to use settings where the flash cannot provide enough power. For example, setting 1/8000 s, f/11, ISO 100 resulted in a barely lit exposure. But 1/8000, f/11, ISO 6400 was properly exposed with flash.

Upvote 0