What happens if Canon and Nikon enter FF mirrorless in different price points?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
What happens if Nikon enters the market on one end of FF and Canon enters on the opposite, i.e. a pricey mirrorless D850 comes out around the same time as a modest mirrorless 6D2, or the D610 line is refreshed as a $1999 mirrorless setup while Canon puts out some $4k 5DS2 flavored mirrorless rig?

Curious to see (if Canon and Nikon don't enter the market with multiple price points right away) if people freak out that the first offering is all they are going to get and it wasn't the price point / feature set that they've wanted.

Would either company publicly reassure folks that 'this is just the first body and others are coming' or will they button their lips to get folks to focus their wallets on what is currently being released?

- A

Nov 2, 2016
ahsanford said:
What happens if Nikon enters the market on one end of FF and Canon enters on the opposite, i.e. a pricey mirrorless D850 comes out around the same time as a modest mirrorless 6D2, or the D610 line is refreshed as a $1999 mirrorless setup while Canon puts out some $4k 5DS2 flavored mirrorless rig?

Curious to see (if Canon and Nikon don't enter the market with multiple price points right away) if people freak out that the first offering is all they are going to get and it wasn't the price point / feature set that they've wanted.

Would either company publicly reassure folks that 'this is just the first body and others are coming' or will they button their lips to get folks to focus their wallets on what is currently being released?

- A

If there’s one thing I would imagine to be true, it would be that both Canon and Nikon are doing their best to figure out what the other is planning. It would sure be interesting if what you mention would be true though.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
melgross said:
ahsanford said:

- A

If there’s one thing I would imagine to be true, it would be that both Canon and Nikon are doing their best to figure out what the other is planning. It would sure be interesting if what you mention would be true though.

Given that it takes 3-5 years to produce a camera, with what is at stake and considering the probable levels of industrial espionage, I would be very surprised if Canon and Nikon did not have a detailed knowledge of what the other is doing....

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Don Haines said:
melgross said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Given that it takes 3-5 years to produce a camera, with what is at stake and considering the probable levels of industrial espionage, I would be very surprised if Canon and Nikon did not have a detailed knowledge of what the other is doing....

True. So now, we have to wonder if each company is on the same track, or whether they’re targeting different markets. A year ago, when Canon’s top people were interviewed by DPreview, they said, in response to a question, that while they would be having a mirrorless top pro camera, the technology, primarily for the ELF, wouldn’t be there for a while yet. So we know that isn’t in the cards for now.

But otherwise...who knows?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I can’t imagine it would make much difference.

People who have stuck with nikon to use nikkor lenses will continue to do so.
People who have stuck with canon to use canon lenses will continue to do so.
People who just buy whatever rather than succumbing to the “captive” mentality will buy what they see as the best value proposition.
Most people won’t buy any of them.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
People on the forum will freak out and make all sort of exaggerated declarations. Normal folks will wait until the camera that they want is available, whether that is 1 , 2 or 5 years down the road. Nikon users will buy the Nikon version they want. Canon users will buy the Canon version they want.

Forum users will all declare that they are switching to Sony.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
People on the forum will freak out and make all sort of exaggerated declarations. Normal folks will wait until the camera that they want is available, whether that is 1 , 2 or 5 years down the road. Nikon users will buy the Nikon version they want. Canon users will buy the Canon version they want.

Normal? Not me, but, in 1, 2, or perhaps even 5 years from now I'll still be shooting with my trusty 80D and the notorious, dreadful, and awful 6D2....(without any complaints).

I may swap my 80D out with the 7D Mark iii in a few years when they lower the price or it goes on sale. (only if it has a flip screen though).

In the meanwhile I'll still be reading the forums for entertainment purposes only ;)

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
I can’t imagine it would make much difference.

People who have stuck with nikon to use nikkor lenses will continue to do so.
People who have stuck with canon to use canon lenses will continue to do so.
People who just buy whatever rather than succumbing to the “captive” mentality will buy what they see as the best value proposition.
Most people won’t buy any of them.
Exactly.
+ every manufacturer will later release some other mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
BeenThere said:
What happens if Canon is 6-12 months behind Nikon in delivering a FF mirrorless Camera?

Nothing.

Do you seriously believe that photographers will all abandon their current cameras in the next 6-12 months just to get a new mirrorless? Pretty much every Canon user currently has a fine camera that won't need to be replaced. For those folks whose cameras will fail in the next 12 months, well, I guess they will have decision to make if they definitely want a FF mirrorless camera. Folks looking for their first ILC camera are probably not going straight to FF. That's my opinion.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
dak723 said:

agree. We spend way to much time analyzing, thinking about, and discussing the smallest detail on each camera. Most buyers simply pick one and get on with their lives.

But it is fun to put Nikon and Canon under the microscope - in a sick sort of way

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Since the biggest competitor to Canon remains Nikon, I think it’s interesting to look at what Thom Hogan has to say about customer complaints about their Nikon gear, and how Nikon treats them.

I have to say from experience with Canon going back to 1969, and my daughter, a pro in the field for 6 years, that our experiences with Canon have been far better.

I still remember my first experience with Canon’s repair center in lower Manhattan. I had the F1, and my 50 1.4 seemed a bit gritty. The diaphragm lever was not as smooth as it should be. Since I designed, and built equipment, I thought I could do a simple disassembly of the back lens plate to see if I could clean out the race with the ball bearings.

That was a great idea! As soon as I removed the last screw in that back plate, it shot off. I took it to the Canon repair station, I think it was around 39th street. The Japanese fellow behind the counter looked at the lens, and then looked at me. He said:

“Took plate off and ball bearings went ALL OVER room, yes?” I said said yes. He said: “No worry, I fix.” They didn’t charge me either.

https://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/more-reader-questions-answe.html

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
melgross said:
“Took plate off and ball bearings went ALL OVER room, yes?” I said said yes. He said: “No worry, I fix.” They didn’t charge me either.

GREAT story, love it! Those are customer experiences one will not forget and tell many people about it! ;D 8)

just found this nice "info graphic" perfectly OT in this thread and hopefully to the liking of many fellow forum members:
Nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-rumors-768x377.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
ahsanford said:

I can tell you what will happen: I will then buy the 2k Nikon, provided it is more compact than the Canon model. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
fullstop said:
melgross said:

GREAT story, love it! Those are customer experiences one will not forget and tell many people about it! ;D 8)

just found this nice "info graphic" perfectly OT in this thread and hopefully to the liking of many fellow forum members:
Nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-rumors-768x377.jpg

Assuming that you don’t already have a Nikon system, and need to buy a small bunch of new lenses, it could cost you a lot more to buy that cheaper Nikon.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
ahsanford said:

- A

Both companies will be coming out with something marketed competitively against the market leader, Sony's a7III. Probably the price will be lower, since neither of them will be able to match Sony's performance, so they will need to come in at a lower price point to compete. The a7III pricing was probably set at what it is as a pre-emptive shot by Sony, to make the introductory FF cameras from Canikon a bitter pill to swallow. It is unlikely that the high end DSLR set will be willing to part with their systems for a new MILC mount, so they will need to start off at the low end IMO, and that creates certain limitations. That is what I think will happen.

Upvote 0