What to shoot at Disneyland that isn't a cliche'?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
drmikeinpdx said:
The wifey and I are going to spend a day or two at Disneyland later this month. I'm bringing my 77D with the 17-85 IS and the 24mm pancake with maple syrup.

What can I possibly shoot at Disneyland that isn't the ultimate photographic cliche'?

The lineups waiting for the rides?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'd bring something ultrawide (on a cropped sensor, I mean) and go for unexpected perspectives, especially low and close...Maybe the other extreme too, some macro.

Rick Sammon has some great travel videos and books explaining his thinking and composing to get fresh shots, or at least something that isn't too boring.

The 40mm only adds a faster aperture to the lens you are already bringing, and a smaller size. Is it really different enough to have as your only other lens?

Upvote 0
As a professor told me once, everything (especially a place like disneyland) has already been photographed to the umteenth time... So the pressure is off as far as trying to be original or unique... But there are things of personal value that are worth photographings... kids reactions, excitement, anticipation... Some kids go to disneyland every other month, some go once or twice a lifetime... To those kids, the excitement is real.. Those are the real stories worth documenting...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I do not know what is considered "cliche photograph" but have you already taken the "cliche" photographs?

What is the point of taking something strange/different if you haven't covered the basics? (Despite some labeling them as "cliches") Someone else's cliche may be a must for me (and vice versa).

I would try to take as much as possible in addition to having fun but taking pictures is also fun for me so:

I would try have fun taking pictures in addition to having fun not taking pictures ;D

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Looking back at my photos from Disneyland in the 1950's, by far the most important were photos of me and my family. The ones of the rides and attractions have little value. So, get good photos of yourself and friends / family, those will be the treasures of the future.

Great reminder! :D

Upvote 0