Why do I keep my Eos M?

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Tried to be a bit provocative in my title but I am looking for opinions. I do have the 5Diii and it is my go-to for just about everything. I got the M during the huge price break a while back and that body with the 22mm and the 18-55mm and the adapter has been untouched for about a year. I have gotten some great photos with the M but the slow focus and the shutter lag (better after the firmware update but still slow) and the lack of a true viewfinder (without some more investment) have made it a rarely used spare. I've thought about bringing it along to use as a crop-based sensor to get more reach in conjunction with my usual kit, but then never do that. I have thrown it in my briefcase on a quick business trip but then wind up using my smartphone for a P&S quick snap or two because it is so easy and convenient. When the grandchildren are active, it is really tough to get a good picture with the M unless I can get them to be still (yeah, right).

None of the above is news or is earth-shattering information for any of us. I guess I am wondering why I have this camera. I am starting to think that if I want a smaller body with versatility that I'd have been better off with a M4/3 or a Fuji (if we ignore the price issues and the need for different lens lineup). I guess I just need some "counseling" here. No flaming desired but I'd like to hear others thoughts.

JPAZ

I too was attracted by the great price and was pleasantly surprised by the build and image quality. Like you I tend to use my ff as my main camera. I decided to sell my M lenses and keep the adapter. So now I bring the M along such that my 16-35 sort of behave like a normal lens. Meanwhile I have my 6d with a tele lens attached. I kind of like this setup. I know that one day I will IR convert the M. Any other cropped bodies are too large to bring along with a main body. A converted M can be tagged along as a "just in case."

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
I used it for a hike with the 11-22 and sometimes I use it with the 70-200 with a 2x, but my wife uses it more. She uses it for taking pics of our kids at school events because she is not willing to bring the DSLR.

I use it more as a video cam now. It is a better videocam than our dedicated 1st generation HD videocam HV20 (sp? and it recorded to DV tapes) that we got when our first child was born. I'll use the DSLR for pictures and put the M on a monopod/tripod to take videos of the kids performances. I've used the 24-70 on the M with the adaptor to record video while having the 70-200 on the DSLR.

Upvote 0

Psyclone

Storage is cheap - shoot early, shoot often
Jan 6, 2015
Centrally Isolated
I keep my M because it is a great "backpack" camera, and it can use any of my lenses. I got the M for hiking, but after some issues with settings changed without my knowledge due to the always-active touchscreen, I switched to the SL1 for most hikes. The viewfinder on the SL1 makes up for the extra size.

I like the M as a concept. I tolerate most of the foibles because it does most of what I want/need. But it is definitely a backup camera, or one that gets tossed in the back seat "just in case."

If I go out with the intent of shooting pics, an SLR always goes along.

I love the 11-22mm IS lens though. That alone made the M more useful before the 10-18mm IS was released.

Upvote 0
Same here, but the last thing my family wants to do when running around NYC or other day trips is to deal with me and my gear. Sometimes it's nice to just have a little thing with great image quality and go. I find the lack of a viewfinder a problem especially when using a CPL, but nothing's perfect. Once in awhile I get a real winning shot with it even if my DSLR is the default choice most of the time. And the familiarity with my DSLR eliminates the effort of learning a new system which might be the biggest win of them all.

Upvote 0
I've occasionally used it as a small walk-around- but usually in full auto mode (especially when the gf uses it).
The only other reason I keep it is for "digiscoping"- I got an adapter that lets you sit the camera on the eyepiece of a scope for taking photos of birds. The small size is really nice for this. I don't do this very often but I like the option.

That, and I figure there's pretty low chance of being able to sell it now. Might as well keep it.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
The M becomes my travelling camera. It is small, lightweight, and gives me great picture. The AF is definitely slower than the DSLR. But during travelling, 95% of my pictures are scenery and buildings (both exterior and interior). Therefore the slower AF does not bother me. As for changing setting due to the touch screen, It is a problem. I combat it by using a wrist strap and turn the camera off more often. On a 11 days trip, I have just mess up the setting once. After that I just form a habit of checking the setting before shooting. Both the 22mm and the 18-55 mm lenses have very small amount of distortion, very suitable for photo stitching

Upvote 0
I just bought the EOS M Kit with the 22 mm, the EF adapter and the little flash. One of the reasons was to replace my "old" Powershot SX230HS for occasions where I can not bring my DSLR.
Another reason was to be able to continue using my Wallimex 8 mm Fisheye Lens (bought for my 600 D which I sold after buying a 6D this year).
I know that there is a new version specially made for the EOS M but as I did not use this lens very often I'm not considering buying one now.
Maybe I will also try to use it for extra reach with my Tamron 150-600 mm, but I am not sure right now if this combination is really working "in the field".

Upvote 0
Ditto. Bought mine a few months back for $249 + $62 for an adapter. I was impressed with the build quality. It was an extremely "neat-o" little camera.

But, I never used it. I couldn't get too excited for the same reasons mentioned above and I already had the SL1 that works great. Plus, since Canon crippled it with firmware limitations, I couldn't use it for special projects that a mirrorless non-shutter design would have been perfect for. So I took the chance to sell it for what I paid as essentially brand new recently.

I'd love to try again someday though if Canon would release another one that hits it out of the park! The whole concept has a lot of merit. Come on Canon!

Upvote 0
Some other follow up thoughts - with the 11-22, it goes where no compact can - to 18mm, which is 6mm wider than any compact with built in lens. My dream little camera is still not available according to a search I did the other day:

--Small size (like my Panasonic LX-5) - should fit in a pants pocket without looking or feeling silly
--Single lens (concert Nazis are now saying no to all interchangeable lenses, but some are stupid regarding the M)
--Lens range from 24-120mm equivalent
--4+ FPS, with a decent buffer
--Decent performance at ISO 3200 (M does this)
--Responsive AF, zoom motor, and features
--Good menus (like Canon - Sony and Panasonic are HORRIBLE)
--Solid build
--Decent battery life
--Built in VF, even the lousy Powershot G is better than nothing, or EVF that doesn't detach
--built in flash

I know I'm not the only that wants one like this and yet no one has come up with a single model that has more than about half of these features.

The M comes closest, but needs a EVF, built in flash, and to be smaller. I tend to carry my M in pieces - body in one pocket, lens and flash in the other pocket, assemble when needed.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Same set up, 5DIII is my primary camera and I bought the EOS-M a couple years ago.

I use it when I want a small and light camera, when I want a "second body" (say, when shooting birds, have it for the occasional wide-angle shot), or when I do not want to stand out as "a photographer." I also think I have found another use for it. I think I will get an EWA-Marine housing, a filter adapter and use it for underwater photography. I could also use my 5DIII, but I feel better taking something I spent $300 on underwater.

I've been impressed by the IQ. It could be better and I honestly hope that Canon releases a very good M3.

But, I do use my 5DIII >95% of the time.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Much the same here, too, except that I disliked using mine so much (the image quality is good, but...) that I sold it shortly after buying it (I should have just returned it but waited too long) and bought an SL1 instead; seldom use that either.... I wish Canon would make a small, competent, mirrorless camera (a large one would be fine too, but for other purposes), but until they do when I want something smaller and lighter, as I increasingly frequently do, I'll stick with my Olympus OMD & Sonys - not as small, but so much nicer to use and, in the case of the Sony a7 line, better image quality too (for obvious reasons).

Upvote 0
I love my Eos M, and here's how I use it:
1. Dinners, parties and get togethers- a conveniently sized camera that doesn't yell "photographer", is easy to use for someone asked to take the shots (especially as most people on the road seem to prefer an LCD to a viewfinder for composition), cheap enough to give to someone to take the shots, and far better low light capability and IQ than a smartphone or point and shoot.
2. Back up standard FL camera- I will often take a telephoto lens on my FF camera and mostly plan to shoot long- for example, a 135L in the zoo. In the occasional situation when I need something wider, the M+22 supplements admirably.
3. Always a camera with me- It is compact and inexpensive enough for me to always keep it in my car- this allows me to have a camera around if some unexpected photo opportunity comes up; for example, I ran into a dragon boat race in a place I had gone to attend a management course.
4. Camera for my wife- she has a good eye for composition, but not the patience to focus and recompose or change focal points. When using the M, she can easily tap to focus and shoot away. Also, for someone who thinks 6D weighs a ton, the M is at least an acceptable burden to bear.
That's why I keep my M around. I don't have an adapter, and only the one prime lens. Works great!

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
I love my Eos M, and here's how I use it:
1. Dinners, parties and get togethers- a conveniently sized camera that doesn't yell "photographer", is easy to use for someone asked to take the shots (especially as most people on the road seem to prefer an LCD to a viewfinder for composition), cheap enough to give to someone to take the shots, and far better low light capability and IQ than a smartphone or point and shoot.

+1. Took the M + 22 f/2 and 270ex ii to a surprise dinner for a friend at a fancy restaurant. The 270ex ii was just powerful enough to be used bounced of the ceiling, and yet I was able to keep the camera and lens in one jacket pocket and the flash in the other.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2012
I have 2 M's - one which I purchased as a backup for my 5D3, [and is sitting in a bin now that I have a 6D], and one which is converted to 590nm infrared. The IR body, with 22mm lens, goes with me on all my trips. Perfect adjunct for travel, especially for midday when the light is terrible for anything else. Still hate the arms-length focus/compose thing, but can really recommend an IR conversion for a little-used M.

Upvote 0