Why I love the 200mm f2.0 prime

luckydude

1dxII, 5DIII, 7DII, lots of glass, tolerant wife
Aug 3, 2013
So I'm not a pro, not by a long stretch. But some pros convinced me to get the 200mm f2.0 and they were right.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/daryn/index.html

I've seen much better pictures from that lens by people better than me, I'm just stoked that a non-pro like me could get those pics. It's worth
the price. I've got a lot of Canon glass, this one is special and gets used a lot.

luckydude said:
So I'm not a pro, not by a long stretch. But some pros convinced me to get the 200mm f2.0 and they were right.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/daryn/index.html

I've seen much better pictures from that lens by people better than me, I'm just stoked that a non-pro like me could get those pics. It's worth
the price. I've got a lot of Canon glass, this one is special and gets used a lot.

Nice series and the perfect setting to use this wonderful lens. I shot both the old and new version. The old one felt like carrying a rock compared to the new version. I have been trying to get a refurbished one for a while - but no luck. Not many have been sold, so they get sucked from Canon's site the instant they come up for sale...

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Perio said:
How do you clean front element of your 200 2.0 when it gets dirty?

Simply use a clean photo lens cloth - just remember to breath on the lens first (as with any other lens).

I've been told that you're not supposed to breathe on the front element of a lens before cleaning it. Use a proper lens cleaning solution and a clean lens cloth. I found this article from Petapixel that confirmed the advice from Nikon not to breathe on your lens. http://petapixel.com/2012/12/07/your-breath-contains-harmful-acids-that-can-damage-camera-lenses/ However, the webpage from Nikon was apparently updated to remove the statement that breath could damage lens coatings. https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539/~/how-do-i-clean-the-camera-lens? Hard to say if that is not true, or just bad PR from a marketing standpoint to say that your lens coatings are so fragile.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
mrzero said:
Hard to say if that is not true, or just bad PR from a marketing standpoint to say that your lens coatings are so fragile.

First time I have heard that. I must say I trust my breath a lot more than any chemicals which lens makers always advise against. But maybe I am wrong.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cleaning.htm

OK, Ken Rockwell says he breathes on his lenses before cleaning them. So, that answers it.

Upvote 0

Atonegro

It's not the gear, it's the eye.
Dec 16, 2012
Netherlands
mrzero said:
Maiaibing said:
mrzero said:
Hard to say if that is not true, or just bad PR from a marketing standpoint to say that your lens coatings are so fragile.

First time I have heard that. I must say I trust my breath a lot more than any chemicals which lens makers always advise against. But maybe I am wrong.

OK, Ken Rockwell says he breathes on his lenses before cleaning them. So, that answers it.

Breathing on a lens will not affect the coating.
However, a lot of (mostly older) lenses can develop fungus-problems by doing that.
All water-containing fluids have that risk, and your breath even has virtualy no anti-fungus ingrediants.

But the 200 F2 is relatively well protected, so it is pretty safe.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Don't own it, too much for my pocket, but I rent it on a specific sport event once or twice a year and I agree it is a superb lens. I have shot with the 85 1.2, 35 1.4, 135 2.0 but the greatest satisfaction has always been from the 200 2.0
People complain about the weight but I handheld it shooting basketball, volleyball and video 14hours in two days and it is ok. I use only a monopod during soccer games (and video if for longer period).
For hockey, though, I prefer the 135 f2 wide open, shooting from behind the goalie through the Plexiglas. Smaller for such a fast action game.
I am no professional on hockey games, either.

Enjoy! I envy you.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
mrzero said:
Maiaibing said:
mrzero said:

:D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Viggo said:
The one lens I will NEVER sell. Absolutely unique.

Clean the front? No problem, the front glass is a protector like a uv filter, and not that expensive to replace. I have only wiped my lens after heavy rain when the glass is covered in droplets.

I would, ONLY ver II is at least 25% lighter ;)

Attach this lens on 1Dx = MAJOR G.A.S.
_X7U7731.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
Viggo said:

Clean the front? No problem, the front glass is a protector like a uv filter, and not that expensive to replace. I have only wiped my lens after heavy rain when the glass is covered in droplets.

I honestly think sometimes to sell my 200 2.0 to get 300 2.8ii. I didn't have actual experience with 300 2.8ii but I've read it's a truly unique lens. I may need to get it as a CPS loan.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Perio said:
Viggo said:

I honestly think sometimes to sell my 200 2.0 to get 300 2.8ii. I didn't have actual experience with 300 2.8ii but I've read it's a truly unique lens. I may need to get it as a CPS loan.

I started out by upgrading the 300 f4 to the 2.8 IS I, and I never found a use for 300, to short for birds and too long for people and kids, so even as great as it was I didn't use it. The 200 length is just right for me and I can use it for anything, and I LOVE that extra stop of light.

Upvote 0
Why i love my 200mm f/1.8 prime?

Already shoot them side by side. Both are very sharp, i would not take sharpness into account at all when comparing these two lenses. With today's high-ISO DSLRs i think Image Stabilisation is 't that important anymore.

The images from the f/1.8 version has its very own, unique, surreal looking style, while the f/2.0 version gives a more 'regular' looking like the 135 f/2.0.

Cons are the weight and the fact this lens is out of production.

Here some of my 200/1.8 shots where you see the surreal-dreamy bokeh:

13184906923_0d2d91f17b_c.jpg

5103216452_8db52e6edb_b.jpg

4619878122_9b2ffe1172_o.jpg

3644314873_5fede97e72_o.jpg

These images will definately look different when taken with the f/2.0 version.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
spy-glass said:
Why i love my 200mm f/1.8 prime?

Already shoot them side by side. Both are very sharp, i would not take sharpness into account at all when comparing these two lenses. With today's high-ISO DSLRs i think Image Stabilisation is 't that important anymore.

The images from the f/1.8 version has its very own, unique, surreal looking style, while the f/2.0 version gives a more 'regular' looking like the 135 f/2.0.

Cons are the weight and the fact this lens is out of production.

Here some of my 200/1.8 shots where you see the surreal-dreamy bokeh:

13184906923_0d2d91f17b_c.jpg

5103216452_8db52e6edb_b.jpg

4619878122_9b2ffe1172_o.jpg

3644314873_5fede97e72_o.jpg

These images will definately look different when taken with the f/2.0 version.

Bokehlicious! Great photos
So your collection is the 50 f/1.0 and the 200 f/1.8. It seems you don't go for less :D
Or less is more....bokeh

Upvote 0