Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have received very few tidbits about the coming high-megapixel RF mount camera coming from Canon, but that has started to change over the last couple of weeks.
Anything in the quotes below is directly from what I have been told. The information sent did require a bit of reading between the lines, and I’ve done my best to be accurate.
I have been told the following about the coming Canon EOS R5s (Unofficial name):

Approxamently 90mp sensor
“Pixel-shift like feature” to add resolution (Perhaps like Fujifilm’s feature in the GFX 100?). Total resolution “north of 300mp”.
Nearly identical body design as the Canon EOS R5.
Video features are “NOT a focus” of the Canon EOS R5s.
Image stabilization will be a “slightly different version” than the current RF mount cameras.
Pricing will be “similar” to the Canon EOS R5.
Announcement scheduled for Q1 of 2021 (All announcements are still a moving target for...

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Hi,
Have you heard confirmations about the fact that we won't see a 5D Mark V? Or is it still a possibility given the fact that NikonRumors now reports as almost a certainty a replacement for the D850?

Thanks

We are never getting another 5D DSLR, it would be an economic misstep if Canon made such a camera. Move to RF.

• Wow
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hi,
Have you heard confirmations about the fact that we won't see a Direct Print button? Or is it still a possibility given the fact that PrintingRumors now reports as almost a certainty a replacement for the Direct Print button on the Kodak PixPro AZ252?

Thanks
Is there an echo in this thread? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Will be interesting to see how this one shapes up. I am not as concerned about the IBIS and focusing system as most of the work I do with the 5DSR is on tripod and shutter release (live view). My questions will have to do with higher ISO noise for night photography and lens ability to resolve to this high of resolution. Will be a killer landscape camera if the DR keeps up with the R5 and any ISO noise is tame.

Will also be interesting to see how if they improve the EVF for night photography (or if they can). It is still one of main reasons I like the OVF on my 5DSR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Will be interesting to see how this one shapes up. I am not as concerned about the IBIS and focusing system as most of the work I do with the 5DSR is on tripod and shutter release (live view). My questions will have to do with higher ISO noise for night photography and lens ability to resolve to this high of resolution. Will be a killer landscape camera if the DR keeps up with the R5 and any ISO noise is tame.

Will also be interesting to see how if they improve the EVF for night photography (or if they can). It is still one of main reasons I like the OVF on my 5DSR.
What kind of improvement are you looking for? I only ask because I've had the opposite findings - my M50 and the R6 I used for a week or so seemed like a HUGE improvement in low light visibility. Especially if I turned off exposure compensation. Nice bright view, just needed to be sure to watch the exposure meter.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
90mp...pixel shifting to 300mp....yikes. That's a lot. I wonder if they limit frame rates and stick with SD cards, or go with the 1 SD 1 CFE card like the 5d...the latter may not be necessary with no 8k video. But even if video is not a focus, they may still include that feature. And people will certainly complain either way - "charge me less, I don't need it', or 'its clearly capable, they just needed to use their cripple hammer'.

-Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think this would be enough to move me to mirrorless. HD video would be fine for me or leave it out altogether. Video must be my must underused tool on a Canon camera. I've never understood why its become such a vital part of the sales pitch. I wonder what % of Full Frame camera buyers are mainly videographers. I see great images taken with them but not much great video. I think its probably that interesting video requires alot more than a good camera. There are much smaller devices that deliver good 4K video ( I can't even display 8K video). Even phone video is quite excellent. I'm sure it wouldn't reduce the price much if video was removed. Consumers probably expect a minimum of 8K video nowadays even though its probably impossible for them to do anything with it. You need a good computer to edit it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Looks like a replacement for my 5Ds. The R5 was very good, but not a big enough advance in areas of importance to me (for the outlay)
I've been waiting for pixel shift since using the rather nice S1R for a while, with TS-E lenses.
Looks like an expensive year if the 14mm RF tilt shift comes at the same time (and why not, they go together).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0