Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

Mar 17, 2020
This would be perfect for me. Using R5 now with 100-500RF. I love to shoot birds and this will be like 2x converter without quality loss in terms of ability to crop which would be a dream for birders. I also don’t care about video, so this will do me nicely.
Yes, however it's more like a 1.4x converter.

Already using the 5DS/R I felt comfortable reducing my lens baggage when shooting for fun. Just put on the 35mm IS L II and still be confident enough to leave both the 50mm and 85mm lenses behind. 14mm + 35mm + 100-400mm and you can cover almost anything and still get very high IQ results. Love the flexibility. Really hope to see a fast 35mm R mount lens soon.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
6 years after the last revolutionary Canon camera - we can hope the 5RS will be yet another legendary Canon camera release. :love:

Have put my Canon 5DS/R and all my remaining EF-lenses on sale today.
Bad time to sell a 5DSr when Canon is flushing inventory. They will be worth more in 6 months. People are snapping them up at the current discount price and sitting on them to sell on fleabay in 6 months or a year for a handsome gain and I think they are correct. The 5DSr captures great images and that won't change because there is a new kid on the block. I have an R5 and will likely get the R5s, but not likely to sell the 5DSr.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Bad time to sell a 5DSr when Canon is flushing inventory. They will be worth more in 6 months. People are snapping them up at the current discount price and sitting on them to sell on fleabay in 6 months or a year for a handsome gain and I think they are correct. The 5DSr captures great images and that won't change because there is a new kid on the block. I have an R5 and will likely get the R5s, but not likely to sell the 5DSr.
I worried about that. However, (probably due to recent Corona payments from Government) all my EOS L lenses and the body were picked up within 48 hrs - even the big whites. The body went for the asking price of 1.050 USD within 4 hours after I put it up on Facebook. Only have my 70-20mm f/2.8 IS L II left. All lenses went for 75-85% of my own price except my two mrk III extenders which only pocketed ~60%. Interestingly not a single offer for the 70-200mm yet??? I don't get it - but not arguing the results. o_O

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
patiently/ not patiently waiting for more info on this camera. this will be the camera that either keeps me using canon or switch to fuji gfx system. pixel shift is pretty meh after seeing the results of the gfx 100. it almost seems like more work and too narrow of application than its worth. give me great IQ, impressive DR, low noise and the ability to hike into the back country and not worry about light rain or melting snow from trees. not worried about size or weight. I currently hike with a 1ds mark iii so anything they make now will be lighter. lets get this thing moving already
Current Canon sensors are huge improvements on the 1Ds III. The gfx100 is very nice but nothing an R5 or 5D IV and a couple of stitch images can’t replicate.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
I worried about that. However, (probably due to recent Corona payments from Government) all my EOS L lenses and the body were picked up within 48 hrs - even the big whites. The body went for the asking price of 1.050 USD within 4 hours after I put it up on Facebook. Only have my 70-20mm f/2.8 IS L II left. All lenses went for 75-85% of my own price except my two mrk III extenders which only pocketed ~60%. Interestingly not a single offer for the 70-200mm yet??? I don't get it - but not arguing the results. o_O
How much you are asking for 70-200

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Current Canon sensors are huge improvements on the 1Ds III. The gfx100 is very nice but nothing an R5 or 5D IV and a couple of stitch images can’t replicate.

I would agree with this, I looked hard at the GFX100 but based upon the raw files I was able to download on the net I didn't see enough difference that making the move to a different ecosystem would have been worth it for what would basically have been a resolution bump.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Well....stitching together a few gfx100 images together is kinda fun too.

But oh man...I gotta start buying some new, larger hard drives.
;)

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well....stitching together a few gfx100 images together is kinda fun too.

But oh man...I gotta start buying some new, larger hard drives.
;)

cayenne
I looked at the GFX100 pretty hard as I wanted to love it, and there is no doubt the camera is a ‘medium format’ game changer. But the truth is the sensor is a disappointing increase in size over FF and truthfully I am not rich enough to justify the investment for the amount of time I feel the improvements over my current cameras would give me an edge.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I looked at the GFX100 pretty hard as I wanted to love it, and there is no doubt the camera is a ‘medium format’ game changer. But the truth is the sensor is a disappointing increase in size over FF and truthfully I am not rich enough to justify the investment for the amount of time I feel the improvements over my current cameras would give me an edge.

I only got one because I lucked out and found a deal.

I happened to have some extra $$ I'd saved, and I found a gfx100 on sale at B&H for $2K off list price. Aside from a couple of the items in the box looking re-wrapped, this thing looked and acts NIB.
At that time, they also had the GF50mm lens on sale for like half price...$499.

I just couldn't pass it up. I also bought an adapter to use my EF lenses on is and the Metabones speed booster so that I can adapt my Hasselblad V system glass to the gfx100.

So, I had a lot of varied glass to put on the gfx all at once. It was $$, but I happened to have some cash set back and with this deal I could jump in with a bunch of lenses and get going.

I later found a deal at B&H for a used gf120 macro lens...so,w with all that I'm set to do some interesting stuff with it.
It is pretty amazing. But again, I'd not be in it at fun list price either. I do read that Fuji is coming out with a new version soon with a smaller body more akin to the GFX50 cameras.

This really more than anything, is showing me one of the true FUN things with mirrorless cameras, is adapting them to use other lenses...vintage lenses that are often quite high in quality.

And while they won't be clinically sharp....well, that's not everything, and some great deals can be found on vintage lenses that have character and can give your images a great look. The price is right on many of these too.

And the mirrorless manual focus assist tools helps those of us with less that perfect eyesight to again effectively use manual focus lenses.

Anyway, this of course is getting off topic.

I'm still saving to get a R5 or might see what the canon mirrorless R1 type camera comes out looks like....but in the mean time, fun.

And while pixel super high rez images aren't for all shoots, they can provide some interesting abilities and fidelity for where they are appropriate.

C

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
This thread has gotten kind of quiet over the last couple of weeks. For once I actually seem more discussion regarding M series systems :) One of the changes this camera would bring about for me I think is a new direction on lenses. I have mainly used Zeiss manual focus glass for my landscape photography but with improvements over the last several years, and a new RF mount as well I might decide to change that direction.

As I get older the potential of walking around with 3 very capable (and much lighter) zooms vs. 4-5 metal primes is appealing to me. Particularly since the performance of lenses like the RF 15-35 seems to be so great (from what I've seen it may outperform the Zeiss 15 in the corners). That all translates to less weight, less fatigue, a smaller camera bag, less filters, adapter rings, hoods, etc.

While I don't suspect I'll ever sell my 5dIV or Zeiss glass and will still use it, I am sort of looking forward to having a smaller/ lighter kit to choose if I desire, with the added advantage of much newer sensor technology, and much more resolution.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Since this thread is about the upcoming R5s (a future R5-ish version), I just thought I'd mention this: What I'd like to see is a R5a version with a 45MP sensor with red optimized for more H-Alpha sensitivity as a 2nd R... body. I'd think Canon would want to do this at some time since they did come out with a Ra. If they both came out at the same time, I'd probably choose the R5a over the R5s (but I'm probably in the small minority regarding that choice).

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I know that this is an old thread, but I don't think that anyone has mentioned that every digital camera can have pixel shift.

Just use a non rock solid tripod ( or give the camera a knock between shots) and take four shots or so, the tiny movement will result in a pixel "shift" . Then auto align and blend the images in photoshop, and you end up with a much sharper, more detail image without the unwanted artifacts that pixel shift can introduce. Of course the same limitations exist as for the pixel shift function - subject must be still.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I know that this is an old thread, but I don't think that anyone has mentioned that every digital camera can have pixel shift.

Just use a non rock solid tripod ( or give the camera a knock between shots) and take four shots or so, the tiny movement will result in a pixel "shift" . Then auto align and blend the images in photoshop, and you end up with a much sharper, more detail image without the unwanted artifacts that pixel shift can introduce. Of course the same limitations exist as for the pixel shift function - subject must be still.
Exactly the same basis for astro shooting, and noise average shooting, but you knew that.... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0