your scariest photography moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in a lot of scary situations doing my photo work for national news magazines, mostly feature stories in big cities, where I was variously threatened with guns, knives and assorted blunt objects by various citizens because I was often interrupting their street business or venturing onto turf where I was an inviting target with expensive bangles on my shoulders. Amazingly, by either guile, luck, inspiration or 45 caliber solutions, I was able to make it through many such adventures with only vivid memories and amazingly high levels of adrenaline in my bloodstream as a consequence.

Another scary moment, this time with a wild animal, is also worth the telling and the telling is devoid of any politically correct risk.

I was on a really fun assignment to shoot vacationers all over the state of Michigan. One innocuous location was the bank of the Huron River, not far from Ann Arbor, where canoers launched their crafts for a day trip on the river. All in all, a very non-risky job.

Just before sunset, when I finished shooting the boaters, I turned into the very tree shaded, dark forested land adjoining the river bank which would take me, by shortcut, to where my van was parked. I had a 300mm lens on the camera with ISO 50 Fuji Velvia loaded aboard (all you people who started with digital only, take note - this was FILM) Just short of the van, my assistant, about 30 feet away from me at the vehicle, in an exaggerated stage whisper called out "don't move, David." I stopped in my tracks. I asked him what he was talking about. He said to turn around 180 degrees, very, very slowly. I did. What I saw was literally unbelievable. Staring right into my eyes, about 15 feet away, was what looked exactly like a black panther, weighing about 150 to 175 pounds, with some huge fangs showing in his open mouth! I was too freaked out for a moment to know what to do but stare. And, stare I did, until my autopilot idiot photo genes kicked in. I very slowly backed straight back a few steps and asked my assistant to hand me a camera loaded with ISO 400 film and an f/2.0 short lens to get a shot of this insane scene - black panthers are definitely not native to Michigan. I quickly got the camera, not taking my eyes off the big cat, and slooooowly walked forward to try to get a decent shot with the fast wide angle. For every step I took towards him, he backed up, making the distance between us constant. Finally, after about 20 steps in our mutual dance, he sidestepped behind a rock about 10 feet in diameter. When I slowly moved forward, afraid he might leaped around the rock at me at any moment, he had to have run straight back behind the rock, further into the dense woods, so that when I finally mustered the courage to peak around the rock, he was nowhere to be seen.

Just about then, the utter stupidity of my behavior dawned on me; there I was, actively invading the space of a very large predator cat, instead of trying to do the opposite. All of a sudden, my knees felt awful rubbery, and I hit myself on the forehead about twenty times, counting my naive blessings.

When I went home that night, I told my wife (then girl friend) about my adventure and tried to decide if I should inform some authority, or even a news organization, about it. I decided not to, because I didn't have a picture proof and I felt they'd just think I was a crackpot of some sort, because "there are no black panthers in Michigan." Then, much to my surprise, about two weeks later, newspapers and local TV stations in the metro area started reporting horses, cattle and dogs being killed at night in the same area I spotted the panther in, and some people even reported seeing what they too thought was a black panther fleeing the scene of some of the kills. The matter was never resolved as far as I know, but, as I was definitely the only person of those reported to have seen this cat close-up, I was probably alone in knowing that it was not just a story but a very real predator cat - most likely to be a potentially deadly black panther, probably a lost exotic (and illegal) pet or zoo/circus animal loose and lost in the not too wild woods of suburban Michigan.

Regards,
David

Upvote 0
Swimming through the Connecticut River with my (then still relatively new) AE-program and sneakers overhead after sliding off a cliff with no way to get back up on that side. Maybe that's what lead to focusing on people and leave the whole landscape thing to others...

There were a couple of close ones while skiing and climbing in the Alps as well. Does being mugged in a strip club in London count? Again, the camera made it out of that one as well. Part of the reason I'm still attached to it I suppose.

Upvote 0
azezal said:
I was photographing lightening,had the camera and the umbrella in the same hand and just as I was switching the camera (putting another one on the tripod) a gust of wind pulled my hand and I hit myself with the 7d's hotshoe right in the face and broke my nose

OMG, that's a winner.

But is the 7D OK? :=)

That wasn't the scary part,2 seconds later lightening stuck the neighbouring building literally 20 ft away

Upvote 0
I was on a local nature reserve - renowned for its butterflies and orchids.
I was using my 180 Macro, and stalking a very flighty butterfly.
I watched it fly up the face of a dune, and settle on the grass at the top.
With great patience I crawled up the dune, holding my breath, and eventually got close enough to get a few "arty" shots with the butterfly filling about a fifth of the frame. Anxious to get a close "frame filler", I crawled on my elbows and got in close enough. I had just got perpendicular to the wings, and was about to trip the shutter, when I heard a loud "Oy you - what the *** are you about!"
I looked away from the viewfinder to see that the my lens was pointing directly at a very large, and very naked, man who I had just interrupted enjoying himself with (I presume) his girlfriend.
He started to run (still stark naked) up the dune towards me - shouting about how he was going to stick my camera where the sun didn't shine.
Fortunately I ran faster than him back down the dune, but he only stopped chasing me when he saw that I was headed for the car park - and lots of people!

Upvote 0
Had a few scary moments...

Once was shooting a burning house, I was the man on the spot with a camera and a few rolls of Tri-X. There was a large tank next to the house that exploded. I don't know if it was LP or fuel oil (I'm thinking LP as the house was in Florida). Knocked me right down to the ground.

Was shooting drag races from the crew zone behind the cars at the gate... had a rear engine rail blow when the tree went green. Literally "blow" as parts and rubber were all over the place. You don't hear stuff like that coming, as earmuffs and plugs (both) were required.

I dunno, maybe the scariest was when I was shooting Vulcon in Tampa one year. One of the last film shoots I did, and had a guy literally unfasten a 90/2.8 Elmarit from one of my M4's. I caught him... lens in hand... he dropped it, I blocked its fall. Got to keep an undamaged lens, the perp got away.

Not with the 90... but from that Vulcon... I've always like this image for some reason
vulconlass_zps47073516.jpg

Upvote 0
fegari said:
azezal said:
I was photographing lightening,had the camera and the umbrella in the same hand and just as I was switching the camera (putting another one on the tripod) a gust of wind pulled my hand and I hit myself with the 7d's hotshoe right in the face and broke my nose

OMG, that's a winner.

But is the 7D OK? :=)

at wasn't the scary part,2 seconds later lightening stuck the neighbouring building literally 20 ft away

Yeah obviously it was my nose against the 7d who do u think won???
I got 3 stitches

Upvote 0

Sauropod

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2012
My family stumbled upon a largish rattlesnake while hiking in Arizona. After trailing it a bit I decided to swap out the 15-85 for my new 70-300L as I was shooting way too close for my comfort. Crocodile Hunter I am not! After switching out the lens I called out asking where the rattler was. Turns out my family had grown bored of the snake and had continued walking down the path! Who gets bored of a live Crotalus atrox? And, more importantly, where did the snake go??? Being this was my first rattler with proper photographic gear on hand I figured since I knew the general direction it was heading when I last saw it I’d see if it was still around. I walked about 10’ across the granite strewn ground when thoughts of how Western Diamondbacks are naturally camouflaged caused me to look down. It was then that I learned my last step had placed me directly *over* the rattler! I was now straddling a coiled snake. Not a rattle one came from it but everyone for miles around likely wondered the cause of my falsetto scream. I’ve never moved so fast in my life, leaping blindly backward into a creosote bush (lucky it wasn’t a cactus!) from pure terror. Thank goodness for IS for, after I realized I hadn't been bitten and wasn't going to die, I took some shots of it simply tasting the air with its tongue the entire time shaking badly from fear. Three years on and my boys still loving imitating my scream when we desert hike...

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
Friend and I entered a large park through one of the many entrances...had about 20K of equipment amongst the two of us and some obvious lenses and 1 series bodies.... after a long shoot (he shot, I mostly made snide remarks about the sillyness of shooting birds and trees) we walked out through a different exit and found ourselves in an interesting neighborhood... teens in wife-beaters standing at the corner in groups, car windows blown out with garbage bags as covers...you get the idea...

Nothing came of it...and perhaps we judge unfairly folks in some neighborhoods, a few stares and may be a comment or two... but it was the longest walk to the larger road from that pot-holed street. I have had a closer call close to my own house few years back, but that only goes to tell you perhaps neighborhoods don't matter afterall.

I pay more attention now to where I am and how I carry my equipment in less obvious ways.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I decided I wanted a shot of the Goat Fell range on Arran in the snow.

I checked my OS map for a route in and route out and set off.

On the shortest day of the year.

The first warning should have been the 6ft deer fence. Which I scaled.

The second warning should have been the footing on Cul-Nan-Creggan, the marsh, which I had counted on being frozen, was thawing a bit in the late afternoon sun.

Thawing.

Got to the peak of Cul-Nan-Craggan with a lovely view up Glen Rosa, and set up and got some nice shots.

Watching the shadows dance around the glen as the sun dips.

The sun dips, on this the shortest day of the year.

Mindful of the thawed marsh behind me I follow my plan down to a ford at Rosa Burn off of Bienn Nuis.

A fording point now under 5 ft of in spate thawed snow, or water as some folk call it.

Not to worry, I convinced myself, I'll find another crossing point.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Lost confidence a bit and wet up to my waist (carrying my billingham bag above my head) I decide on another course of action, to climb down the deer fence like a wire ladder, which was vertical in some places.

Now in the dark with my legs shivering and cramping. Muddied from several slips, back twisting with tripod and bag hanging off me as I climb down.

I was almost at the stage where I was going to have to call in mountain rescue.

I eventually got the small bridge where the burns meet and a decent path. I limped back to brodick and had a few pints at the Ormadale by the fire, reflecting on my lucky escape, but also my sheer minded stupidity, which nearly had me asking others to risk their lives to help me.

The pictures weren't bad though.

Attachments

• 3089617434_de6b3645d4_o.jpg
    3089617434_de6b3645d4_o.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0
Wow some insane stories here! Great thread!

I have a couple, only been shooting a couple years but have had some scary moments.

Last week I was shooting cruise ships in Ft. Lauderdale, FL leaving the port. The last ship to leave was the Oasis of the Seas, the world's largest cruise ship. A local photographer told me to go by the rocky area as the waves produced from the ship are outstanding. Taking his advice, I took my gear and moved the couple of meters to the rocks. I settled on a rock with my bag on it and shot the ship with the 70-200 II and 10-22. As the Oasis got close (so close 10mm couldn't fit the ship), the water went more than a meter below and stayed. Half a minute later when the ship passed me, the water began to rise quickly and waves began. I took pictures of the dramatic change and all of the sudden the water got to my level. My heart raised and I grabbed the bag rapidly with a 70-200, 50 and 400L in it while having a 7D and 10-22 in my hands. It was merely 2 seconds from being washed over.

Another time I dropped my 70-200 on concrete, not too high thankfully. Nothing happened, the lens was intact but scary it was.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
dafrank said:
What I saw was literally unbelievable. Staring right into my eyes, about 15 feet away, was what looked exactly like a black panther, weighing about 150 to 175 pounds, with some huge fangs showing in his open mouth! I was too freaked out for a moment to know what to do but stare. And, stare I did, until my autopilot idiot photo genes kicked in. I very slowly backed straight back a few steps and asked my assistant to hand me a camera loaded with ISO 400 film and an f/2.0 short lens to get a shot of this insane scene - black panthers are definitely not native to Michigan. I quickly got the camera, not taking my eyes off the big cat, and slooooowly walked forward to try to get a decent shot with the fast wide angle. For every step I took towards him, he backed up, making the distance between us constant. Finally, after about 20 steps in our mutual dance, he sidestepped behind a rock about 10 feet in diameter. When I slowly moved forward, afraid he might leaped around the rock at me at any moment, he had to have run straight back behind the rock, further into the dense woods, so that when I finally mustered the courage to peak around the rock, he was nowhere to be seen.

Just about then, the utter stupidity of my behavior dawned on me; there I was, actively invading the space of a very large predator cat, instead of trying to do the opposite. All of a sudden, my knees felt awful rubbery, and I hit myself on the forehead about twenty times, counting my naive blessings.

Actually, from what I have read, your instinct was actually the right one. By advancing slowly on him, you left him with the impression that you were not prey, but an equal predator, and he retreated.

He might very well have attacked had you run.

Upvote 0
This image was captured through the car window after the following encounter:

It all began before dawn as I left my car and hiked out into the fields of Arrowleaf Balsam Root, Larkspur and Lupine blanketing Antelope Flats outside of Jackson Hole. I intended to photograph the soaring peaks at first sunlight with the wildflowers stretching out in an endless sea to fill the foreground. I carried my full photo backpack, my tripod and my big and unwieldy panoramic tripod head.

After moving through the flowers until I found an interesting arrangement to compliment the foreground, I opened my backpack and spread my equipment out for easier access. I mounted the camera on the tripod, and using my 10-22mm I began to photograph a number of images. There were no wildlife to be seen anywhere from where I stood.

As the sun began to make an appearance and brought life and color to the sky, I immersed myself in capturing the best image possible, becoming totally engrossed in the task at hand, using my manfrotto sph303 panoramic head and live view to ensure ample image overlap and no camera shake.

Lost in this very nearsighted focus, I shot for about 15 minutes when I became suddenly very aware of a quickly approaching group of buffalo. While I would not describe their actions as a stampede, they were trotting quickly as a collective group directly towards me. When I reviewed my images later I could actually see the progression as they appeared on the horizon from below a depression I couldn’t see about 500 yards away, but due to my focus on the camera, rather than looking through the viewfinder, I had been oblivious to their approach.

I quickly realized I was in trouble. I was over 200 yards from my car. My tripod was the tallest thing other than buffalo for over ½ mile, I did not have bear spray with me as there were no animals in sight when I left me car, my stuff was still strewn around on the ground, and the buffalo were now within 100 yards with their rapt attention fully trained upon me. I knew that to break into a run would be foolish, only goading the unsettled herd into a stampede instinct. I knew they could cover the ground much faster than I ever could. Then, to make maters worse, the herd of 20-30 animals split into two groups. One group continued towards me while the other group totally surrounded my car, a 1997 Honda Civic. At this point, I was totally at a loss. I had a group of 15 or so bison bearing down upon me quickly and my only retreat was now surrounded by more bison.

Somewhere in there, I managed to scoop my stuff into my backpack and zipped it partially shut. I held my tripod out in front of me in a ridiculous attempt to perhaps fend off any of the approaching bison, willing to sacrifice my camera if it meant my own health was spared, and I began slowly backpedaling towards my car, of which I could only see the very top through the mass of buffalo. In my mind, I purposed to get as close to the car as possible and then make a maddened charge through the mass of beasts and jump onto the top. I had no other options and my pulse was beating a crazy tempo.

As I backpedaled, the approaching buffalo closed the distance to 30 or so yards and then they lined up shoulder to shoulder in a wall. I’ve seen them do the same thing facing down a grizzly bear. As they formed the line, they made a bluff charge towards me. As I continued backpedaling towards the car, I shouted loudly as they closed to 15 or so yards. They veered off and circled around, once again forming up the line and coming directly at me. We played this game 3 more times as I continued to get closer to my car. By this point I was praying fervently that God would part the Bison so to speak that surrounded my car and I truly feared the worst, as with each bluff charge and yell, the buffalo before me drew closer and closer before veering off.

I was within 50 yards of the car and still backpedaling fast when He did just that. The Bison moved around my car to the side opposite of me, so I had a clear shot to the vehicle. All in the same motion, as the animals before me veered off and I was within 40 yards of the car, I turned my back to them and took off. I managed to get to the car as I threw my backpack on the ground and slammed my tripod next to it and dove through the passenger door. The group pursuing me stopped approximately 10 yards away and milled about as I contemplated what had just happened, fully cognizant of the Lord’s blessing and my close call.

After 2 or 3 minutes of pulse-racing regrouping, I opened the door and reached out to grab my camera. I shot several images through the open window.

From the safety of my car, I watched the same group of buffalo charge a guy on a motorcycle as he stopped to look. I don’t know what riled them up, but I’m grateful to be alive and well.

Attachments

• Antelope Flats Buffalo Herd--final photoshop version_HDR.jpg
    Antelope Flats Buffalo Herd--final photoshop version_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0
1 - Silly & Scary: Friend and I were doing the 8 mile or so rough Subway hike in Zion. Since I was carrying 2 bodies, lenses, tripod etc. and my friend was only carrying a small light DSLR, I asked her to carry all the water we had in the car. She said no problem. Silly me, I didn't visually check. About 3/4 of the way there, we're taking a break and I'm asking her for more water; turns out she only brought 3 bottles total. Stupidly, after some debate (and angry words on my part), we continued going since we were so close. Oh, and she got up late and ate breakfast slowly, so we started hours later than I had planned.

So on the way back, it was getting dark. If you know the Subway hike, we did the climb up the 400' cliff in the dark. We had headlamps, but the climb was still difficult. My friend slipped and almost rolled off the cliff, and I was so dehydrated and exhausted I literally was almost falling asleep on my feet; never been so exhausted in all my life. Had to rest a bunch of times on the way up. We were both thinking we weren't going to make it up to the car, but we did. Barely.

To add insult to injury, the water level in Subway was much higher than normal, so we didn't even get good shots.

2 - Was in Yosemite doing the short hike to lower Yosemite Falls; it's a short, well-traveled paved path, so I was surprised at what happened. I started to hear a rustling noise and looked around. I saw one, then two, then about half a dozen deer bounding through the trees and brush directly at me. I started to smile, thinking how cool the moment was, especially as they zipped by on both sides of me. I'd swear I could have reached out to touch one of them. I was reaching for my camera until I saw WHY they were bounding. A big coyote (wolf?) was chasing them, which made me immediately freeze. Fortunately, the coyote was focused on them and never glanced my way, although it passed within 10 feet of me. I'm not sure what it would have done if it had seen me, but it sure did freak me out for a few moments, especially when I realized I was probably easier prey!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.