Aug 9, 2018
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Our local zoo opened up again after a really long preiod of COVID lockdowns and only short gaps of openings.
Our children were more interested in rushing through from enclosure to enclosure and ending up at the playground.
So for me it was more a fast snapshot summary but I still got some nice ones.
Here's the first batch ;)

20210509_0033.JPG 20210509_0041.JPG 20210509_0046.JPG 20210509_0062.JPG

20210509_0028.JPG 20210509_0044.JPG

20210509_0067.JPG hawk_owl_2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Our local zoo opened up again after a really long preiod of COVID lockdowns and only short gaps of openings.
Our children were more interested in rushing through from enclosure to enclosure and ending up at the playground.
So for me it was more a fast snapshot summary but I still got some nice ones.
Here's the first batch ;)

View attachment 197603 View attachment 197604 View attachment 197606 View attachment 197607

View attachment 197602 View attachment 197605

View attachment 197608 View attachment 197609

Nice! Regrettably I haven't been to a zoo since I took the snow leopard picture on the prior page. Our local zoo is in a magnificent setting, but the selection of animals doesn't seem to have changed in about 50 years.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Nice! Regrettably I haven't been to a zoo since I took the snow leopard picture on the prior page. Our local zoo is in a magnificent setting, but the selection of animals doesn't seem to have changed in about 50 years.
I can understand that the same setup of species gets boring eventually.
I have the advantage that for several years I support our local zoo in a friends' association which gives me access to an annual pass.
So I have chance and the time to go there, to focus on a few species and stay there for a longer time - of course that is only possible without my children that don't have the patience and passion.
But if you stay at one enclosure for some time you can see a lot of action and special behaviour.
And if you ask the staff in advance as preparation you'll get the information what time of day is the best to come for action.
And I always had the great experience that if they have the time they are tell a lot of stories if you kindly show your interest in "their pets".

To me it is great that I can go there again at all after all that lockdowns.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I have the advantage that for several years I support our local zoo in a friends' association which gives me access to an annual pass.
So I have chance and the time to go there, to focus on a few species and stay there for a longer time - of course that is only possible without my children that don't have the patience and passion.
But if you stay at one enclosure for some time you can see a lot of action and special behaviour.
And if you ask the staff in advance as preparation you'll get the information what time of day is the best to come for action.
And I always had the great experience that if they have the time they are tell a lot of stories if you kindly show your interest in "their pets".

I definitely had that info for the snow leopards. They were quiescent when I first walked by their enclosure (and this was the San Diego zoo, not my local one), but I heard they got active in the late afternoon, so I went back and "parked" there. And yes they got active. Which matches what had happened at the Denver zoo many years earlier, when I got some blurry shots because it was getting quite dark by the time I saw them.

What was more interesting was the local photo shop asking me if I my photographs were of them in the wild. They're very elusive and you have to get up into the very high parts of Asia, not a trivial trip. It's much easier to see, say, Komodo dragons in the wild.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... What was more interesting was the local photo shop asking me if I my photographs were of them in the wild. They're very elusive and you have to get up into the very high parts of Asia, not a trivial trip. It's much easier to see, say, Komodo dragons in the wild.
That was a really funny story :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

The one thing the Cheyenne mountain zoo does very well is giraffes. You can get to them at eye level. My first time ever with a full frame was an event hosted by the local camera shop, where you could borrow cameras and wander around the zoo. I took an R plus the 24-105L and found myself not being able to get close enough in many places (whereas my M6-II plus 100-400 was too close in a lot of places). A direct result of the difference between full and crop frame! What I SHOULD have done was put the 100-400 onto the R.

Alas I missed some very good shots of the giraffes.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Our local zoo is proud to have offspring among its Asiatic lions. Those are "critically endangered".
The Zoo is part of the EAZA Ex-situ Programme for several species.
wikipedia said:
The Asiatic lion currently exists as a single subpopulation, and is thus vulnerable to extinction from unpredictable events, such as an epidemic or large forest fire.
Because of the cold temperatures here, the two lion cubs have to stay inside.
That gets me close :), behind reflective panes :( and at awful light :(
But it was lovely to see that little family so lovingly.
All ISO 6400, R6m2@500mm, f/7.1, 1/40 to 1/125. Thank god, IS and IBIS exist :)

20231218_0001.JPG20231218_0011.JPG20231218_0012.JPG20231218_0016.JPG20231218_0018.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0