ZY Optics releases the Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2 4.5X Super Macro Lens

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
slclick said:
The Mod at C anon W atch says it's a highly specialized lens for scientific and industrial needs. Yeah, and I have a container of CANONINC 50mm lenses to sell you.
I just bought 12 CANONINC lenses, 7 bucks each, going to stack them into one super duper macro. The manual says it's doable...

slclick

EOS R3
Dec 17, 2013
Jopa said:
slclick said:
The Mod at C anon W atch says it's a highly specialized lens for scientific and industrial needs. Yeah, and I have a container of CANONINC 50mm lenses to sell you.
I just bought 12 CANONINC lenses, 7 bucks each, going to stack them into one super duper macro. The manual says it's doable...

Best post of the hour.

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
yorgasor said:
chrysoberyl said:
yorgasor said:
Chaitanya said:
whats the working distance of this lens like? with Mp-e 65 its hardly 10cms and lighting is quite difficult to achieve, cant imagine how hard it will be to light subject with this glass.

Spec sheet says:
Minimum working distance 0.2m

I assume that's the maximum focus? I can't imagine getting 4.5x magnification at 20cm. I ordered the lens, as this is a topic I've been very interested in. I'd like to see what kind of snowflake photos I can get with this.

The price really is $199?

That's what I paid for mine. Well, I also paid $20 shipping. I think there was a free or cheaper option that might get through customs within 3 weeks or so, but I haven't always been lucky with those shipping methods with other foreign sellers.

So..what's your thoughts on this lens? Worth the money? Good images? Sharpness?

I just got myself some macro rails for shooting this year and while I have the canon 100L macro and tubes for it, I'd maybe like something a bit stronger too, and if this is *BANG* for the buck, I'd like to maybe try it...

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
"Received" mine 2 days after I left for trip. Paid for the expedited shipping so it'd arrive before the trip :(

Well, now I'm back and I have the lens.

Quick summary:

-there's not much glass on this
-it focuses darn close to lens, but not as close as I was expecting based on my tube-experience. Must try with tubes too

Not commenting on quality yet, just did couple tests handheld with speedlite OCF on manual.

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
Couple pics from the first tries (still handheld).

What's the object on first one?

And interesting bokeh on the second one.

(both fairly heavily cropped)

Attachments

• 5D4_2952.jpg
    5D4_2952.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 5D4_2958.jpg
    5D4_2958.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
Took picture of my 70-200, the back edge just where paint ends and mount begins. To bare eye there's couple tiny nicks on the paint. Mitakon makes it look worse.

Not cropped:

Attachments

• 5D4_3024.jpg
    5D4_3024.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 157

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
tpatana said:
Took picture of my 70-200, the back edge just where paint ends and mount begins. To bare eye there's couple tiny nicks on the paint. Mitakon makes it look worse.

Not cropped:

WOW!!!
So, you're really liking the lens?

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
cayenne said:
tpatana said:

Not cropped:

WOW!!!

The big problem is what to shoot.

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
tpatana said:
cayenne said:
tpatana said:

Not cropped:

WOW!!!

Well, as you are able to find fitting subjects, please keep posting to this thread!!

Thank you!!

C

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
tpatana said:
cayenne said:
tpatana said:

Not cropped:
WOW!!!

Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Hmm... I live only 2 hour drive from the border. Worth considering...

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
With 12mm tube. Not cropped.

Attachments

• 5D4_4765.jpg
    5D4_4765.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 142

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
OH man...this is tempting.

I just got the canon 11-24L.....need to save my pennies and wait till I have time to devote to playing with and learning extreme macro...

But wow...the images for THIS price....tempting....

C

<-- start Taboola -->