ZY Optics releases the Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2 4.5X Super Macro Lens

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Jopa said:
slclick said:
The Mod at C anon W atch says it's a highly specialized lens for scientific and industrial needs. Yeah, and I have a container of CANONINC 50mm lenses to sell you.
I just bought 12 CANONINC lenses, 7 bucks each, going to stack them into one super duper macro. The manual says it's doable...

Best post of the hour.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
yorgasor said:
chrysoberyl said:
yorgasor said:
Chaitanya said:
whats the working distance of this lens like? with Mp-e 65 its hardly 10cms and lighting is quite difficult to achieve, cant imagine how hard it will be to light subject with this glass.

Spec sheet says:
Minimum working distance 0.2m

I assume that's the maximum focus? I can't imagine getting 4.5x magnification at 20cm. I ordered the lens, as this is a topic I've been very interested in. I'd like to see what kind of snowflake photos I can get with this.

The price really is $199?

That's what I paid for mine. Well, I also paid $20 shipping. I think there was a free or cheaper option that might get through customs within 3 weeks or so, but I haven't always been lucky with those shipping methods with other foreign sellers.

So..what's your thoughts on this lens? Worth the money? Good images? Sharpness?

I just got myself some macro rails for shooting this year and while I have the canon 100L macro and tubes for it, I'd maybe like something a bit stronger too, and if this is *BANG* for the buck, I'd like to maybe try it...

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
"Received" mine 2 days after I left for trip. Paid for the expedited shipping so it'd arrive before the trip :(

Well, now I'm back and I have the lens.

Quick summary:

-there's not much glass on this
-it focuses darn close to lens, but not as close as I was expecting based on my tube-experience. Must try with tubes too

Not commenting on quality yet, just did couple tests handheld with speedlite OCF on manual.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
tpatana said:
cayenne said:
tpatana said:
Took picture of my 70-200, the back edge just where paint ends and mount begins. To bare eye there's couple tiny nicks on the paint. Mitakon makes it look worse.

Not cropped:

WOW!!!
So, you're really liking the lens?

The big problem is what to shoot.

Well, as you are able to find fitting subjects, please keep posting to this thread!!

Thank you!!

C

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
tpatana said:
cayenne said:
tpatana said:
Took picture of my 70-200, the back edge just where paint ends and mount begins. To bare eye there's couple tiny nicks on the paint. Mitakon makes it look worse.

Not cropped:
WOW!!!

Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
tpatana said:
cayenne said:
tpatana said:

Not cropped:
WOW!!!

Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Hmm... I live only 2 hour drive from the border. Worth considering...

Upvote 0