There will be no mirrorless camera body announced ahead of Photokina

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update here: We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon
We continue to see and receive reports about a Canon full frame mirrorless camera being announced on or around September 4, 2018. We’re pretty confident that no ILC cameras with or without a mirror will be announced ahead of Photokina next month. We expect to see some lenses announced, but no camera bodies.
As we’ve mentioned previously, there is always a possibility of a “development announcement”. These type of announcements are usually quite hard to get wind of in advance.
We think the first half of 2019 is when we’ll start getting new camera bodies. The EOS 90D, EOS M5 Mark II and a full frame mirrorless camera are the obvious models to be announced next.
We had to address this again, as I continue to get questions from readers.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I can’t help but feel the whole buildup for canon’s FF mirorless will be possibly even worse than Nikon. Given that Nikon are generally a lot more generous with features compared to canon (take D850 vs 5D iv/5dsr for example), canon is surely going to cripple theirs in quite a few ways compared to the ‘gold standard of specs’ Sony A7III.

In worst case scenario I’d personally predict no ibis, no full frame 4K or no dpaf in 4K (or both), no dual card slots, no on sensor adc, no eye af, no tilty or flippy screen. Sadly deep down many of us know this could in fact be the reality, even if they perfect ergonomics, menu systems and skin tones as always.

Yet, if it had a native EF Mount it would probably still manage to become the best selling ff mirorless, just because it’s canon.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I can’t help but feel the whole buildup for canon’s FF mirorless will be possibly even worse than Nikon. Given that Nikon are generally a lot more generous with features compared to canon (take D850 vs 5D iv/5dsr for example), canon is surely going to cripple theirs in quite a few ways compared to the ‘gold standard of specs’ Sony A7III.

In worst case scenario I’d personally predict no ibis, no full frame 4K or no dpaf in 4K (or both), no dual card slots, no on sensor converter, no tilting screen.

Yet, if it had a native EF Mount it would probably still manage to become the best selling mirorless, because it’s canon.

Well the rumors point to two Canon full-frame mirrorless bodies. One prosumer, and another entry level. I'd expect the prosumer model to have dual card slots, and full sensor 4k with DPAF. I think both the prosumer and entry level will have an articulating screen, but I don't think either will have IBIS. Not sure if Canon has patents for IBIS, or if they do, it may not be at a production-ready state.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I doubt it will be worth the wait at this point. Nikon's Z6 and Z7 will be out, Sony has the A7 III and A7r III, and the A7s III will probably beat Canon's first FF mirrorless to market. The chances of Canon catching up and surpassing all of these options are pretty slim IMHO, and to find out you'll have to wait another year, by which time the Sony A7r IV will probably be released.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I doubt it will be worth the wait at this point. Nikon's Z6 and Z7 will be out, Sony has the A7 III and A7r III, and the A7s III will probably beat Canon's first FF mirrorless to market. The chances of Canon catching up and surpassing all of these options are pretty slim IMHO, and to find out you'll have to wait another year, by which time the Sony A7r IV will probably be released.

The thing is, it’s not their first mirrorless..... the M series has been out for quite a while.... As a minimum, it’s just a case of using a larger sensor. The fact that they are taking a while to release it implies that it will be a significant improvement in features over the M... WiFi, articulated touchscreens, or any of the existing features are easy, they already have proven code for them.

My suspicions are either QPAF, or hybrid OIS/IBIS.... either of which would make this a force to be reckoned with...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The chances of Canon catching up and surpassing all of these options are pretty slim IMHO...
Probably about the same chance as the EOS M line had of surpassing all the other APS-C MILC options. Since that happened, it seems quite reasonable for it to happen again in the FF MILC subsegment.

That's assuming you mean 'surpass' in terms of something that can be evaluated objectively. If you mean it in terms of which one you like better, that's your choice of course, but essentially irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
The thing is, it’s not their first mirrorless..... the M series has been out for quite a while.... As a minimum, it’s just a case of using a larger sensor. The fact that they are taking a while to release it implies that it will be a significant improvement in features over the M... WiFi, articulated touchscreens, or any of the existing features are easy, they already have proven code for them.

My suspicions are either QPAF, or hybrid OIS/IBIS.... either of which would make this a force to be reckoned with...

Canon’s FF will not be a Sony killer, but it will be a body blow.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Probably about the same chance as the EOS M line had of surpassing all the other APS-C MILC options. Since that happened, it seems quite reasonable for it to happen again in the FF MILC subsegment.

That's assuming you mean 'surpass' in terms of something that can be evaluated objectively. If you mean it in terms of which one you like better, that's your choice of course, but essentially irrelevant.

I think he meant catching up and surpassing in terms of competitive specs and features- maybe this lack of announcement of camera bodied means Canon’s not impressed with Nikon’s entry and don’t feel pressure to release anything at this point. Shame, because the consumer loses if they don’t enter the game and compete.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Guys, given the time forums on the internet have been running, and over that time the amount of cameras and lenses that Canon have introduced, it's pretty clear the way things will go when Canon finally introduce their FF Mirrorless: initial howls of derision and despair will, after nine months or so turn in grunts of respect.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Guys, given the time forums on the internet have been running, and over that time the amount of cameras and lenses that Canon have introduced, it's pretty clear the way things will go when Canon finally introduce their FF Mirrorless: initial howls of derision and despair will, after nine months or so turn in grunts of respect.
I agree. It is obvious that whatever they introduce will be a piece of useless junk that for some mysterious reason sells well and takes great pictures....

Upvote 0
Funny how quick some have been to dismiss Nikon. The review I saw of the autofocus was pretty good but if images still come out being out of focus that's probably a matter of fixing the firmware to deal with what happens during exposure. I think when it finally hits the shelves with proper firmware reviewers will have a more positive opinion.

Canon have been able to keep the lid on. That's fairly impressive.

Upvote 0
Funny how quick some have been to dismiss Nikon. The review I saw of the autofocus was pretty good but if images still come out being out of focus that's probably a matter of fixing the firmware to deal with what happens during exposure. I think when it finally hits the shelves with proper firmware reviewers will have a more positive opinion.

Canon have been able to keep the lid on. That's fairly impressive.

Sony and Canon have a lot more experience with video, which I think helps them with this issue. This is the first Nikon camera with decent video features (usability in addition to being 4K), so I don't think they'll get it this iteration. It took Sony until iteration 3 to get there and they had a better more videocentric experience. Take a look at the dpreview critique of the AF for someone running toward the camera. This is a basic and fundamental feature. It should have worked by now before samples were provided to pros/reviewers to critique.

Upvote 0
Canon’s FF will not be a Sony killer, but it will be a body blow.

thats what i am thinking also. it wont be like nikon's love tap, but a right hook to the ribs. I think they canon will have a sony killer by gen 3.

At this stage I would be worried going nikon, the nikon 1 didnt do so well. Should of read the market and brought out a apsc mirrorless instead.

Upvote 0

My comment specifically refers to FF mirrorless. Anyway, I hope Canon goes all in, but the wait has already been excruciating, and compounded by Canon's failure to up their video game in DSLRs and in the low end video market (C100, XF400 etc).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My comment specifically refers to FF mirrorless.
I got that, but my point was that their experience in crop mirrorless paves the way for getting into FF mirrorless.... It's not like they are jumping in cold.

That said, I'm with you about the wait.... they could have been in two or three years ago, so let's hope the wait is worth it....

Upvote 0
I think he meant catching up and surpassing in terms of competitive specs and features- maybe this lack of announcement of camera bodied means Canon’s not impressed with Nikon’s entry and don’t feel pressure to release anything at this point. Shame, because the consumer loses if they don’t enter the game and compete.

I mean an overall superior product, and of course like everyone else here, it is of course my opinion. Canon's DPAF is already the best AF system, but Canon's video performance has been among the worst for years now (cinema line excepted). Some of Canon's omissions are perplexing, like no focus peaking in some cameras while it is added to others lower down the lineup (M6), adding C1 and C2 modes to the M but not to the 77D. A lot of us need an all around photo/video solution in a small package. Nikon's Z6 may be the ticket, but reviews will tell the story. If Canon can add the a full articulating screen, DPAF, video tools (zebra, peaking, 120p, 4K ... all should be considered standards today), color science to the Z6 that would be awesome.
When Canon gets it right, they can hit it out of the park, some of their lenses for instance are awesome, the 5D2 set a new standard at the time, but they appear to be dragging their heels on the FF mirrorless, even the M series doesn't appear to be a fully-committed effort so far but maybe the mark II rounds will tighten that up.
I will probably need a lightweight full frame package by the end of this year, and I had been hoping that Canon would be in the mix. I am not comfortable jumping in on the Z6 prior to full reviews, so that leave Sony A7 III, or a possible A7s III if it gets released really soon.
I'll buy the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 for sure, but the M series isn't that great in low light, which is important to me. But the M6 is handy has a cheap pocket camera that I don't worry about.
Anyways, rambling thoughts

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
After all this "Nikon failed" discussions, may be they thought about a prolongation of their mirrorless development? :LOL:
Well - let's see. As long as it's focussing correctly I think Canon is in for a good release of a mirrorless fullframe camera.

Canon doesn't even care when there are "Canon failed" comments and discussions so they REALLY don't care about Nikon failed comments.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

In worst case scenario I’d personally predict no ibis, no full frame 4K or no dpaf in 4K (or both), no dual card slots, no on sensor adc, no eye af, no tilty or flippy screen. Sadly deep down many of us know this could in fact be the reality, even if they perfect ergonomics, menu systems and skin tones as always.

Yet, if it had a native EF Mount it would probably still manage to become the best selling ff mirorless, just because it’s canon.

Yeah. Skin tones shouldn't be the priority. Neither should ergonomics or easy to navigate, logical, menu systems. Sony the gold standard? I guess # of paper specs make Sony the gold standard. :rolleyes: Specs don't take photos. Specs don't make them good photos either. Good photos are your job. For all the "crippled" remarks about Canon, there's a reason Canon is #1... and it isn't because of the name label. It isn't "just because it's Canon."

I'm not defending Canon so much as expressing disdain and frustration with silly remarks and threads that seem to have had no thought behind them other than to %@#&* and moan. I am far from being a good photographer, but I don't sit around and hope that a camera "better" than what I have in my chosen system is going to somehow make me better. Apparently that is what most of the gearhead whiners must think.

Your opinion is that Sony is the "Gold Standard". My opinion is that nobody besides Sony (up to now) has had a FF camera in the FF mirrorless playground until now. It is easy to be the best screwdriver maker when nobody else is making screwdrivers. So, in my opinion, Sony and its FF mirrorless camera sucks. Without ever seeing one and without ever trying one I make that statement because, the truth is, that is the same experience of most people crying for a camera like the Sony. No first hand experience at all.

Upvote 0