Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
more like "the baby being fed 5 years late" ...

and if EOS R indeed has no IBIS ... the crying will start in earnest.

1) As you've already said, we don't know if it does / doesn't have it yet. We do not know.

2) If we don't get it, that's not like it means that ship has sailed and the platform will never get it. A7 /A7R I didn't have it and it was added in the 2nd gen.

3) It's possible that Canon believes that this first gen will largely be used with folks adapting EF lenses with IS (and 2 of the 4 new lenses), and that IBIS is a 2nd gen (or higher spec'd larger body to come :D) sort of move for them.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Why? Nikon Z seems very similar to me. A new FF mount that requires an adapter to use existing lenses. Why would Z be dead?

All your EF lenss will be fully functional.
Nikon will have very limited functionality if any for a vast majority of F lenses. Including the huge number of AF lenses and who knows what others.
At least every EF lens I own will work just fine and a huge giant bonus I can now use ALL my FD, FL and R lenses with no optic in the adapter to degrade the image.
I am incredibly happy with this R series.
Way to go Cannon

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Considering that the 6D Mark II MSRP is 2600 USD I would be very surprised if this one is under 2k.

People aren't referring to the kit price, they are referring to the US body only price.

The 6D2 is a $1599 camera presently in the US, but we think of it how it launched at a ~$2k price point. Many people believe that this is where the action is for the enthusiast FF market.

But not knowing the specs, we could have a D850-->Z7 sort of situation here, and this might be a mirrorless 5D4 and not a mirrorless 6D2. The sensor is not always a clear tell. We need to know more about the other specs first.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep - and I usually know where I am anyway...

(I truly don't get the "need" for GPS in a camera...)

Niche for sure, but I have done (and know people who do) nature photography for the recording of species, e.g. plants, and it would be a boon for the later submission of records to central databases. Also, when hiking it would be nice to know precisely where each shot was taken (but I don't miss the feature on my camera, which doesn't have it; my phone does though, and that can be useful).

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Do catch up, people. ;) It's not long but it's a damn linebacker diametrically -- odds of fitting in your standard 80mm lens slot in your bag are officially zero.
Surely heavy as hell to boot. I'm geeked about the prospect of it, but I'm also wincing at the high 'reality price' that physics demands we pay for this.

- A

The 28-70 looks like a tight fit for fingers on the right hand!

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Why? Nikon Z seems very similar to me. A new FF mount that requires an adapter to use existing lenses. Why would Z be dead?

Well, apart from those wanting to continue to use their Nikon lenses Canon has some Pros and some Cons. There is the better AF of Canon, lenspark is better (in my eyes), but that doesnt change the mind of a Nikon shooter. Sensor performance is on Nikons side... I guess you‘re right. Everything will stay as it is as of now.

and I would say dream on, the 30.3 MP sensor they have inside the R is probably a refined version of the same sensor from the 5D Mark IV. All things being equal, I doubt Canon will polish a sensor from a $3500 body and then offer it for $1900. Not to mention the R&D that went into the rest of the various systems (AF, metering, new mount, etc...)The world doesn't work like that.

They took the sensor from the 80D and put it into the 200D, so I don‘t see why they shouldn‘t put the 5D mk IV sensor into another FF camera that costs less. Much more cost efficient than producing a whole new sensor.

Upvote 0
Agree, but we haven't seen all the specs yet. The Z7 is trying to be a D850 mirrorless and might fool some, but it's shackled with fine print and limitations. It's possible we've got a 5D4-like sensor here in a sealed body, but it has:

1/4000 shutter

Assuming the images are legit, it shows a 1/8000 shutter speed (and ISO 40,000, Bluetooth and Wifi).

Upvote 0

Felix94K

EOS 6D Mark II
Sep 1, 2018
People aren't referring to the kit price, they are referring to the US body only price.

Oh yes you're right, 2600$ was the kit price, 2000$ was indeed the launch price for just the Body in the US. Guess I was a bit confused by our EU prices.
2k for the EOS R still semms a little low imo, but it could be possible, well unless it's intended to be a mirrorless 5D Mk4.

• 1/4000 shutter
  • 5 fps with everything turned on (AF, AE each frame)
  • No Eye AF from the M50
  • 1 SD card
  • 1/160 sync
  • 4K but no DPAF to go with it
  • No IBIS
  • Not on-chip ADC like the 6D2
  • No AF assist lamp compatibility with speedlites (Nikon Z did this for whatever reason)
Just a small note but the top screen says 8000 in all pictures, so hopefully not just 1/4000 shutter

Upvote 0