Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Wow! I'm certainly late to the party here.

Question regarding the -6ev focusing for those with a better understanding than myself (and my apologies if it's been answered already): if the camera can focus down the -6ev, could that have implications for minimum aperture for focusing? I.e. could you potentially retain autofocus on a 100-400 with a 2x teleconverter?

Also, I'm not one to care too much on what a camera looks like, but I really like the look of this camera.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

People aren't referring to the kit price, they are referring to the US body only price.

The 6D2 is a $1599 camera presently in the US, but we think of it how it launched at a ~$2k price point. Many people is where the action is for the enthusiast FF market.

But not knowing the specs, we could have a D850-->Z7 sort of situation here, and this might be a mirrorless 5D4 and not a mirrorless 6D2. The sensor is not always a clear tell. We need to know more about the other specs first.

- A
I think we can say good-bye to the DSLR classification we are used to. The mirrorless do have partly other spec sheets and will create their own classifications. We shouldn't compare the EOS R to a 6D2 or 5DIV. Instead we do have a first mirrorless FF from Canon. This one will not necessarily have the same target customers as a 6D2 or a 5DIV. Only some overlap with either of both. There will surely be some inherent mirrorless disadvantages in the years to come that many people will cause to keep their current DSLR for the time being. So there will be new target customers which can tick most of their wishboxes with an EOS R. Others will skip these first FF Mirrorless cams as long as they do not support functions they are used to on their DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Why does the new Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens in the size comparison image look like it attached to the body using a silver mount adapter ? Surely this shouldn't be required with a RF lens !

Isn't that just the back end of the lens?

canon_5.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
i find it strange, that in list of lenses, IS is specifically mentioned for the 35/1.8, but for none of the other lenses. so it does not look like a simple typo ...

has canon not always denoted IS in the lens name?

If it has IS, it's in the name.

The 24-105 has IS on the spec list as well.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A real hand grip. Canon color. Maybe a surprise or two (not likely at this point).

100% there will be a surprise, but it won't be something horsepower related. We won't see 14 FPS or a 100 shot RAW buffer.

But the controls may have a slick hand to play. Curious to see the L-R slidey thumb sensor doodad and how it works.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A lot of pros will pop one of these in the bag as a back up because of its light weight and small size

...and because it uses the same batteries + same speedlites + (with an adaptor) the same lenses as the SLR on their other shoulder.

But I feel those will be early adopter pros. Many pros will hold out for a stouter grip + two cards (if we only get one) + the 5-series control wheel and more spacious button layout around the grip.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
...and because it uses the same batteries + same speedlites + (with an adaptor) the same lenses as the SLR on their other shoulder.

But I feel those will be early adopter pros. Many pros will hold out for a stouter grip + two cards (if we only get one) + the 5-series control wheel and more spacious button layout around the grip.

- A

But -6 EV AF (if real, not shackled with a lot of fine print) + truly silent shooting could make this rig a darling for wedding photographers who don't want to pop a flash or make noise during the ceremony or reception.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I’m not use to not be immediately disappointed by a Canon rumor. But they can still screw this up. 2x crop on 4K, bad codec, no IBIS; subpar dinamic range and ISO; bad autofocus with EF lenses, battery life...

AF will be as good as DPAF on EF lenses today. Of all the things on your list, that one will likely be a non-issue.

Here's how quickly the AF works with DPAF on an M6:

I have zero concerns there. It may be as laser fast as some higher end L's on an SLR using the optical/AF mirror setup, but that's still awfully quick.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
You can't use new 28-70/2 on your 5DIV? Not nice .....

Just about everything new and neat that EF-M got was eventually made available in EF-S: a pancake, an inexpensive and sharp UWA zoom, a wide 1:1 illuminated macro, etc.

So there's a real chance Canon makes this f/2 zoom in EF someday.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
But -6 EV AF (if real, not shackled with a lot of fine print) + truly silent shooting could make this rig a darling for wedding photographers who don't want to pop a flash or make noise during the ceremony or reception.

- A
Color me skeptical, but I just don’t believe there will be useful -6EV AF. That’s what... 1/10 second exposure at f/1.2 ISO 102,400?

Upvote 0