Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t understand the point of Autofocus at -6 EV.
Weddings, dark rooms, moving subjects, fast focus, and no need for autofocus assist light from a flash, etc.
An example of exposure for a -6 EV scene: 1/8 s, f/2, ISO 204,800. I suspect his point was a perfectly focused shot at an exposure like that is still going to suck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was likely misinterpreting the spec, namely as being able to autofocus in -6EV ambient, which would be pointless.
I don't think you were. When Canon launched the 1D X and touted its -2 EV AF sensitivity, they gave the example of shooting under a full moon. Sounds like they're talking about scene light to me. Obviously the lens matters, and Canon does qualify the spec with an f/number (was f/1.4 years back, not sure if that's changed).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Once somebody said that "Canon fails every time when they have the chance to completely take over the market". Here we go.

They don't fail at much. Again: 50% global ILC share.

Sony made a lovely little FF mirrorless market out of nothing. Now Canon will take its 50%. It's not complicated.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
An example of exposure for a -6 EV scene: 1/8 s, f/2, ISO 204,800. I suspect his point was a perfectly focused shot at an exposure like that is still going to suck.

Correct, but it's another way of saying, 'Bring this thing and the AF won't let you down for lack of light. We've overclubbed this issue so hard that the problem is for all intents and purposes eliminated.' That takes one small headache off the table for available light shooters, concert folks, etc.

- A

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I think the point is that -6 EV is the extreme, but I can imagine lots of situations less extreme where I would want to take in natural light (ie without flash) where this sort of spec will save me. I'll (finally) need to move on from a 6D mk1 soon, and much better EV ability will be a factor in that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Correct, but it's another way of saying, 'Bring this thing and the AF won't let you down for lack of light. We've overclubbed this issue so hard that the problem is for all intents and purposes eliminated.' That takes one small headache off the table for available light shooters, concert folks, etc.
I think the point is that -6 EV is the extreme, but I can imagine lots of situations less extreme where I would want to take in natural light (ie without flash) where this sort of spec will save me. I'll (finally) need to move on from a 6D mk1 soon, and much better EV ability will be a factor in that.
The shot below is from a Halloween storytelling lit by a hearth fire. Exposure was 1/13 s, f/2.8, ISO 102400, processed with DxO Prime NR. At web size, it's still marginal. My 1D X locked focus without a problem, despite it being -3 EV.

I really can't see -6 EV AF being useful in 'lots of situations', but sure, once in a while it might produce a usable shot. Better to have it than not, of course.

Attachments

• Witch.jpg
    Witch.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The shot below is from a Halloween storytelling lit by a hearth fire. Exposure was 1/13 s, f/2.8, ISO 102400, processed with DxO Prime NR. At web size, it's still marginal. My 1D X locked focus without a problem, despite it being -3 EV.

I really can't see -6 EV AF being useful in 'lots of situations', but sure, once in a while it might produce a usable shot. Better to have it than not, of course.
Sure, but I'm saying the usefulness of -2, -3 or -4 EV will come about much more regularly. I don't have anything like that now, and not many of us are ever going to afford / justify 1DXs.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If we look here, we will see that it's about the minimum AF conditions for 1D X II. -3 EV (ISO 100) at 2.8, central point only.

Have you used a f/4 lens (and/or a lower reflectance subject), the autofocus would have likely failed.

Indeed. If it's that dark, focus to infinity and keep your camera on the star tracker...
Unfortunately, if you do it with 400/5.6, everything closer than a kilometer will be unsharp. Even farther if you add a teleconverter.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Well, for $0 I can keep my 7DII and 7 lenses and occasionally use it as an EVF camera by simply attaching my Hoodman Custom Finder Kit.

I’m on the same page, and probably won’t buy this body, but it’s a big step for Canon. I have 7D2 (and 7D) and six lenses. FF not useful for me except possibly 50 MP body with ability to crop. Someday.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Yeah, I know. I worked 30+ years in the PCB industry where we made backplanes and multilayered boards (At that time, up to 70+ layers). Still, close enough for our purposes. It's a straight pass through. Let's not get too literal.

What the f can have 70+ layers. I can't even imagine. I've worked I think up to 12 or 14. But why you'd need 70? You really can't route those signals in 60, or 20?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I’m looking forward to all these good autofocused (so presumably with moving subjects) images from -6EV scenes so I may be more learned.

Looking through that EVF is going to be a treat too.

When you go animal shooting at night for owls/possums/sugar gliders etc, currently you have to use a red torch to get AF to lock. Even with this, at times I can have trouble, and also the light can be enough to spook the animal. This -6 EV will be a godsend. Also the EVF can be a real help, as you can set it to amplify the light a lot more than a normal VF can manage, if you separate it from simulating the exposure. Currently when you set it to simulate the exposure with flash on the M5, it works, but keeps going dark as it seems to keep forgetting the flash is on. Its almost like having free NV goggles.

Upvote 0