Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
An interview with Canon executives was done in Japan by MyNavi and covered a wide range of topics in regards to the brand new Canon EOS R system.
Here are a few points from the interview (Google translated)
During the launch event, it was reported that the Canon EOS R sensor was the same as the EOS 5D Mark IV’s sensor, but apparently, that’s not the case.
Mr. Kiyota : The number of pixels itself is the same as EOS 5D Mark IV, but the sensor itself is newly developed. The content has changed a lot, such as adoption of a new dual pixel CMOS AF and arrangement of microlenses according to EOS R system. (Google Translated)
Canon feels that the Canon EOS R is an EOS 5D Mark IV level camera.

EOS R, is it positively an EOS 5D class camera?
Mr. Kiyota : I believe so. (Google Translated)
Digital lens optimizer now happens in real time, as the information comes directly from the lens.
Mr. Kiyota : I think that...

Continue reading...

Jul 21, 2010
This indicates that the next two lenses canon will release will in 2019 and will be EF, not RF.

eosrlensroadmap.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is that from translating the text?

I thought it might refer to the 400 and 600

My mistake, what I get for trying to view this on my iPhone. The two blue bars are the upgraded versions of the adapter, not new lenses as I initially thought.

I was surprised to see a Canon lens roadmap, but this one has zero new information, which restores my faith in Canon's silence about future releases.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It's from the graphic, which lists the four RF lenses announced, as well as two other concurrently announce lenses which are presumably the 400 and 600 III and have the EF–EOS R (adapter) notation appended. That same notation is applied to the two lenses slated for release in 2019 (top two blue bars).

I thought the 2 EF–EOS R (adapter) notation for 2018 are the two adapters being released right now (normal and with control ring) and the EF–EOS R (adapter) notation for 2019 are the adapters with cpl and nd filters.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Newly developed 5IDV like sensor? Why does not it utilise an electronic shutter, BSI and allow no crop 4K video then? I would say that they have just tweaked a 5DIV sensor to accomodate larger DPAF area and that's just it ...
Because it's V1.0 of EOS R

What you want will be later - at this point, if you wanted that then you need a different system... ;-)

It's made to a market segment which I'm not in and neither are you it would seem?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This really seems out of place to me. The portion where they mention that the EOS R is a 5D IV level camera doesn't fit in my mind. The 5D IV seems like the superior camera to me, and there's a considerable price differential between then. The EOS R seems more like a ramped up 6D II in my mind. Maybe that's splitting hairs to be fair.

I like that they're planning on building higher and lower level models, and the fact that they specifically mention high resolution bodies is encouraging for a 5D SR equivalent body. But if the EOS R is a 5D IV level camera, will the 5DSR equivalent just be an EOS R with a different sensor? I guess we'll find out.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I thought the 2 EF–EOS R (adapter) notation for 2018 are the two adapters being released right now (normal and with control ring) and the EF–EOS R (adapter) notation for 2019 are the adapters with cpl and nd filters.
Correct, I was evidently editing my post as you were typing a reply.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
What is the meaning of the F 2.8L text? The line immediately below my screenshot translates to 'scheduled release.'

View attachment 180301

I think they are just saying they have a family of f2.8 lenses in the pipeline without saying too much on detail. They have the headline grabbing f2 lenses to get peoples' attention and now they will be looking after the bread-and-butter pros.
From what I remember of the Z6/Z7 announcement this eclipses Nikon's planned release schedule.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Newly developed 5IDV like sensor? Why does not it utilise an electronic shutter, BSI and allow no crop 4K video then? I would say that they have just tweaked a 5DIV sensor to accomodate larger DPAF area and that's just it ...

If it’s a new sensor why isn’t it 150MP 32-bit global shutter capable of far IR and gamma-ray imaging? You see the problem with your argument? You and your kin seem to share the misguided idea that engineering iterations can always be cleanly divided into ”tweaks” and ”new products”. It doesn’t work like that in reality.
The R does have an electronic shutter, btw.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0