Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Of course; we've all seen that. New RF lens: lighter, smaller, ?? better optics. If Canon wants to signal that the R series is for demanding pros, they need the glass that serious pros will want to use. See the new 50 f/1.2 as an example.

Pros are smart -- and cheap! :) They don't buy new glass for the sake of new glass but because it fills a need. Sure, someone with a new EF 400 f/2.8 III isn't buying the RF anytime soon. But there are lots of working pros who would be in the market for new glass. Canon needs to have something for them.

Hmmmm.... lighter, smaller. You didn't get the memo?

Upvote 0
It seems to me Canon is slowly relegating EF mount into entry level and low mid end range while the more expensive models go to RF mirrorless. it makes a sense since EOS R can use any EF lenses in addition to its superior RF line.

an RF-mount 26MP sounds like a lower tier EOS R to me with no Canon Log and 10 bit recording. I can't see them releasing a fast shooting Pro Grade model within a year yet.

I disagree. I think that the frames per second of the current model is so poor, that it would be rational for Canon to have released it so hindered only in the context of there being a faster body coming out very shortly.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
I think there is also an assumption here that the list represents all the bodies that are in the immediate pipeline - why would that necessarily be the case?

I don’t know why we should expect this to be all that Canon has in the pipeline. After all, there was a different shorter list leaked on Nokishita only a month ago. Who is to say there won’t be another list in a few months time. Canon did a great job keeping most of the features of the EOS R secret.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I don’t know why we should expect this to be all that Canon has in the pipeline. After all, there was a different shorter list leaked on Nokishita only a month ago. Who is to say there won’t be another list in a few months time. Canon did a great job keeping most of the features of the EOS R secret.
Exactly - if they are planning a new year's release of a semi-pro MFF (timed for then to maximise Xmas sales of the EOS-R), then registering these specs (in a form they know will be immediately made public) doesn't make any sense to me. As a matter of interest, when did they register the specs for the EOS-R?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
By the way, the head article to this is a little (I'm sure unintentionally) misleading. When I look at Canonwatch, this list is actually the updated list of all the upcoming bodies. The only all-new bodies are K435, EC808 and EC812. Most of the others (including the k433 MFF) seem to have some updated features mainly 'Maximum image size of test machine' which I take to mean sensor size.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
I disagree. I think that the frames per second of the current model is so poor, that it would be rational for Canon to have released it so hindered only in the context of there being a faster body coming out very shortly.

I would also take this view. The EF mount still has a lot of life in it. For big white lenses especially there is not as much benefit in a more compact body. The choice of mirrorless vs DSLR for a sports photographer will come down to AF and frame rate. Body size does not play a role, in fact the body needs to be large enough to be ergonomic and to handle well with a big lens on it.
Until we get to a point where RF lenses can be seen to radically outclass EF lenses (keep in mind RF has a much more advanced electronic interface) I believe Canon will continue to make the big white lenses with an EF mount and let users mount them on mirrorless bodies with an adaptor.

What would however interest me to know is whether the mirrorless APS-C bodies that Canon has in the pipeline will be EF-M or RF mount bodies. Is EF-M dead?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
I hope Canon issues some kind of a roadmap for the future fairly soon. It looks like a lot of folks here want to buy into the R system, but uncertainty about where the current and the next body sits is a problem....is it a 6d or s 5d “equivalent”? I think some clarity here and also about the next body would help people decide whether to pull the trigger or not. Nikon did that, and their shooters st least know what’s coming.

It also sure looks like I’m not the only one who really wants a 5dsr2, mirrorless or dslr.

True- this is where their ability for ultimate secrecy can hurt them. They just need a development announcement on a high MP EOS-R and perhaps a low MP high ISO video oriented version (which I am convinced they will never do) to instill confidence in the investment by first gen buyers. I bought the original EOS-M and I wasn’t thrilled with how that system developed.

Upvote 0
K437
  • Single lens reflex camera
  • Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
  • Battery level indicator is displayed in six levels (same as 5D Mark IV etc.)
  • Maximum image size of test machine: 6960 × 4640
  • Probably released in 2019 or later
This one potentially looks like 5D Mk V. 32.2Mpix. If it has an articulating screen, GPS and dual card slot it's a must have one.

But there's nothing interesting (to me) in the mirrorless department. It'd expect something like 5DMkIV mirrorless but with 36+Mpix.

I still don't buy the idea the EOS R is a 5DMkIV-grade camera. It's clearly not, at least to my needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

MVPhoto

EOS 5D mk3
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2018
AL
For everyone debating where the EOS R is placed, I'm almost positive it is closer to the 6D line than the 5D line despite having almost the exact same sensor in it! Here's why. Technology advances. The 5Dmk4 has been out for 2 years now and technology always trickles down the line. I remember when the 5Dmk3 came out and everyone was hyping up the fact it had the same autofocus unit as the 1D series cameras! Coming from the 5Dmk2 only having 9 AF points, it was a big deal! So a camera having the same sensor as a higher up model which has been on the market for nearly 2 years isn't that surprising to me. Not to mention the EOS R is much more closely priced to a 6D or to the Nikon Z6 or Sony A7 competitors rather than the 5D or the Nikon Z7 or A7r or A7s.

Sensor aside, body wise it very much seems more like a 6D series camera. The 5D mk3 and mk4 utilize dual card slots and SD card has never been the choice for the higher end cameras! At least not since I've been shooting. The 6D series on the other hand only has a single SD card slot like the EOS R. It's difficult to compare hardware layout too much as it's a radically different design being a mirrorless camera body than any of their DSLR cameras.

Sept 5 debut! During the debut they literally said the real star of the show was not the camera, but the new lens mount! While I wasn't personally too thrilled to see a new mount because of the headache of swapping over, I can understand the advantages of having this new mount. I did find it strange though that they hyped up the lens mount along with the new lenses and practically downplayed the camera body itself.

Reps! During one of the first interviews a Canon rep ( or at least someone wearing a Canon logo shirt ) literally said the EOS R was not a flagship camera, it was not a pro camera, it was not a beginner camera... but more of a general purpose all around camera body. This leads me to believe there will be a 5D and maybe even a 1D mirrorless equivalent!

Rudy Winston! Literally just a couple days ago B&H interviewed two Canon photographers as well as two of the tech advisors for Canon. One of which was Rudy Winston which I'm sure everyone has seen if you keep up with Canon's own video posts. This is how Rudy closed out the interview!
"Remember that this is simply the beginning. We're not ending here. This is the first camera body in the system. There will be more down the road at some point. And these are not the only lenses that we're going to introduce in the system. There will be more down the road. I don't have a, as I joked a moment ago, a crystal ball but I can certainly say that by everything that we've been told by our engineers the best is yet to come!"
While this may seem a bit vague, it leads me to believe that the EOS R is again just their first camera and there will be a much more advanced one to come out soon! This is a great time to be a photographer!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
They're already struggling with getting data off the sensor of the EOS R, as evidenced by the worst-in-class FPS, worst-in-class 4K, worst-in-class AF tracking with continuous AF, etc. Upping the megapixels will simply compound this issue. DPAF is absolutely fantastic and incredibly novel, but it's hamstringing the hell out of their cameras.

I wonder how Fuji's XT3 is doing AFC with over 2 million AF pixels on their sensor...

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
There is one hard-stop here: if Canon wants the R series to be taken seriously, they need a 1DX2 equivalent before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

Nah. The market is just not moving that fast. I'm not saying Canon won't introduce a high end sports R by then. But it won't hurt them or Nikon if their sports bodies are still 'flappy mirrors.'

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
They're already struggling with getting data off the sensor of the EOS R, as evidenced by the worst-in-class FPS, worst-in-class 4K, worst-in-class AF tracking with continuous AF, etc.

The reviews I've seen indicate that it tracks well at 5 fps. I realize that doesn't necessarily torpedo your argument because 5 fps isn't that quick. But it AF tracks better than the Nikon Z's.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The reviews I've seen indicate that it tracks well at 5 fps. I realize that doesn't necessarily torpedo your argument because 5 fps isn't that quick. But it AF tracks better than the Nikon Z's.

EOS R only tracks at 5 fps in "just keep firing" (shutter priority) mode. in "get it sharp before shutter is released" (focus priority) mode it drops to only 3 fps.

that is disappointingly slow by 2018 standards - even for a "non-sports / fast action" camera.

Upvote 0
EOS R only tracks at 5 fps in "just keep firing" (shutter priority) mode. in "get it sharp before shutter is released" (focus priority) mode it drops to only 3 fps.

From the looks of it the R has a much bigger problem : if Jared Polin's video is any indication, it seems that the R can't produce a liveview feed in continuous bursts (just like the Ms). The only thing you see through the EVF is a 3 or 5fps slideshow of the shot previously taken. So you're always 150 or so milliseconds behind what's really happening (vs 25 or so for other current mirrorless cameras).

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I wonder how Fuji's XT3 is doing AFC with over 2 million AF pixels on their sensor...

easy to answer: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3-first-impressions-review/2

because Fuji XT-3 is a "late 2018 state of the art" camera with
1. a new, top-notch, fast-readout speed sensor (APS-C 26.1 MP BSI) instead of a 2-year old sensor with different micro-lenses (Canon EOS R with 5D4 sensor)
2. well-designed on-sensor PD-AF (with 425 selectable AF fields) for better real-life AF performance compared to Canon's overhyped dual pixel fancy which has never fully delivered its theoretical superiority in any real-life Canon product so far (at least not for stills shooting)
3. adequately powerful 2018 ASIC with enough processing power to really drive things instead of a single, re-used 2016 mirrorflapper DIGIC processor
4. and - in fairness - APS-C sensor vs. FF makes things easier here for Fuji.

Summary: Fuji has gone "all-in" with XT-3. Canon has designed a "really right" R mount but is only able or willing to bring a "very pedestrian start model" with EOS R. Very similar to their approach with original EOS M. Better R bodies will for sure follow. But no need to run out today and pre-order a mirrorfree 6D III for 2.5k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It looks like the SW guys at Canon will be having their hands full for the next 2 years at least bumping up the performance of their mirrorless offerings. I would bet not.
This one potentially looks like 5D Mk V. 32.2Mpix. If it has an articulating screen, GPS and dual card slot it's a must have one.

But there's nothing interesting (to me) in the mirrorless department. It'd expect something like 5DMkIV mirrorless but with 36+Mpix.

I still don't buy the idea the EOS R is a 5DMkIV-grade camera. It's clearly not, at least to my needs.
dual processors might be nice too

Upvote 0