IBIS and 100mp coming to an EOS R camera? [CR2]

Gotcha. I often see that term, and my profession kicks in. I’m responsible for the development of hardware we have to qualify to work in some of the most demanding environments. Wide temperatures cycles, salt fog, condensing humidity, volcanic ash, sand and dust, and ambient temperatures higher than many electronic components are made for.

I expect any of these cameras will satisfy your weather needs.

Yea I suspect most camera will do a great job except for Sony. In some YouTube test, Sony didn't do that well. Sony's archilles will always be ergonomic and weather sealing. I dropped my camera with a heavy lens on concrete and it has some scuff mark but everything works fine. I'm scare if the same scenario happens with a Sony.

That's a cool job. Yeah I'm aware a lot of manufactures do extensive testings to ensure their products are reliable in all kind of conditions. Sadly alot of companies are going away from it to chase profit and planned obsolescence

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Yea I suspect most camera will do a great job except for Sony. In some YouTube test, Sony didn't do that well.

I include Sony in my listing.

I think I saw that video, if you’re talking about the one where they subjected the cameras to a garden hose for an extended period. The Sony did fine; I would probably quit before it.

The video is not indicative of capability, it merely showed three cameras relative to eachother in one situation, one time. The Canon and Nikon did better than the Sony, but I suspect we are taking about “better than good enough.”

That's a cool job. Yeah I'm aware a lot of manufactures do extensive testings to ensure their products are reliable in all kind of conditions. Sadly alot of companies are going away from it to chase profit and planned obsolescence

It pays the bills :)

My market is unique. The products often have to be supported for decades, and there is for all intents and purposes only one customer (the US Government by way of defense acquisitions), so planned obsolescence isn’t an option. We often have contractual requirements that no components (from caps, resistors, etc. all the way up to logic devices) used will have an end of life of less than 5-7 years at the time of production. If they even smell obsolescence, we can’t move forward. It makes it difficult, but as a tax payer I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Gotcha. I often see that term, and my profession kicks in. I’m responsible for the development of hardware we have to qualify to work in some of the most demanding environments. Wide temperatures cycles, salt fog, condensing humidity, volcanic ash, sand and dust, and ambient temperatures higher than many electronic components are made for.

Sounds a very interesting day job!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

As Roger from lensrentals likes to say: Manufacturers stand behind their weather sealing claims so much that none of their warranties cover water damage :)

Upvote 0
Being sold out or not is a bad measure for popularity, the only thing you can say for sure is that it means the supply chain is failing.

It is but so is Canon FF mirrorless ranking in just Japan.

If you prefer you can go by Google search, Youtube video, sale rank on Amazon, etc. Whatever you want to use as metric. I didn't think people nit pick about certain metric. Sheesh.

Even as a Canon user, I can understand see the appeal for such a popular camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
starting with the 5D mark III, all the 5Ds have 2 slots
Yes, I know. I had the 2 and have the 3.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they get there the second generation with the R. That would be ahead of the 5D product line “schedule.”

Still, the EOS-R is full frame and more capable than the EOS 5D.
;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
well, in some ways the R is more capable; in others, not.

Sure. The EOS 5D has an optical viewfinder and can use EF lenses without an adapter. Those are probably its only “more capable” aspects.

Of course, the member I replied to meant the 5D series as a whole, not just the 5D. That changes the calculus.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Well there's actually more, the 5D IV has more customisation options (for instance, multiple AF cases that can be set, the option to assign a button to a very specific AF scenario so it's easy to instantly switch/utilise a different af mode), a multi controller (I've shot several thousands of frames with the R so I do know the body enough to know it should be there) and of course, a second card slot.

And better weather sealing and higher fps rate. Also, the sensor seems to perform slightly better (although probably not very noticeable in real life).

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Well there's actually more, the 5D IV has more customisation options (for instance, multiple AF cases that can be set, the option to assign a button to a very specific AF scenario so it's easy to instantly switch/utilise a different af mode), a multi controller (I've shot several thousands of frames with the R so I do know the body enough to know it should be there) and of course, a second card slot.

And better weather sealing and higher fps rate. Also, the sensor seems to perform slightly better (although probably not very noticeable in real life).

The 5D IV is covered under the “Of course, the member I replied to meant the 5D series as a whole, not just the 5D. That changes the calculus” part of my post. I was referring to the 5D, because I was bored and felt like being pedantic.

The EOS 5D IV is far more capable than the EOS R. But the post starting this conversation referred to the EOS 5D.

Moving on ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0