Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like these are the confirmed specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS RP, which is pretty close to the previous specification list that we posted. See the end of the article for some insight into that.
Canon EOS RP Additional Features: (Updated February 13, 2019)

35mm full frame CMOS sensor with about 26.2 million effective pixels
The latest video engine “DIGIC 8”
Optimized “dual pixel CMOS AF” and drive control of RF lens realizes fastest AF of 0.05 seconds at the fastest
When fitted with lenses, it corresponds to the distance measuring area in the range of about 100% (vertical) × about 88% (horizontal) of the imaging surface
When AF area is arbitrarily selected, you can select the part you want to focus on from the maximum 4779 positions
Detect pupil of subject and focus on “pupil AF” also function when servo AF and moving servo AF
EV-5 achieved at the central focus detection point
High-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 5.0fps and servo AF at a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Whether the RP retails for $1299 or $1599, I think Canon might try to position this camera on the shelves of popular department stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and so on; all of this in attempt capture the market of casual consumers who aren't photography professionals. It has the potential to become the most affordable, visible, and accessible full-frame system out there in that case. If they're clever, they'll use in-store promo material to demonstrate the sensor size comparisons to APS-C and M4/3, and show the differences in DoF along with all the other full-frame benefits that manufacturers like to tout.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Ahhhh cmon Canon, jesus, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Like the 6dMKII? That'd do me just fine. The 6D MKII is a superb camera; I get great results with mine with virtually no noise on A3 prints at up to iso 25600. Would I switch to Sony - no, I'm sure they make fine cameras but not for me. Specs aren't everything ...

What are you currently using?

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
Looks weird on these pictures (the EOS R looks more balanced) but maybe it is still nicer to hold than the Sonys. But the price is the biggest question (and if it gained any video features over the 6D Mark II, it will be definitely targeted as a vlogging camera)

Agreed, if the image resembles the final product it looks like it needs to be stretched upwards. It's obviously not got a built in flash, and it's doubtful if it has enough height to include a built in EVF and a 3.2 inch rear LCD like the original EOS R.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Agreed, if the image resembles the final product it looks like it needs to be stretched upwards. It's obviously not got a built in flash, and it's doubtful if it has enough height to include a built in EVF and a 3.2 inch rear LCD like the original EOS R.
It is the final product, probably the same EVF and LCD as the M50. The grip is not as tall as the R, so I guess the vertical grip may be needed to fit bigger hands properly.
It also seems that all their cameras will have EOS R written on the front and a small text elsewhere for different models.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Like the 6dMKII? That'd do me just fine. The 6D MKII is a superb camera; I get great results with mine with virtually no noise on A3 prints at up to iso 25600. Would I switch to Sony - no, I'm sure they make fine cameras but not for me. Specs aren't everything ...

What are you currently using?
You realize it was a lackluster camera back in 2017. It's 2019 now so it is even worse now by today's standards. It could the worst brand new full frame camera this year and beyond.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
It is the final product, probably the same EVF and LCD as the M50. The grip is not as tall as the R, so I guess the vertical grip may be needed to fit bigger hands properly.
It also seems that all their cameras will have EOS R written on the front and a small text elsewhere for different models.

The Canon Rumors post only states it looks like these are the confirmed specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS RP, so I assume the posted image isn't 100% guaranteed to be the final product either. If everything stated is correct however it does back up my suspicion regarding the lack of space on it's rear for a EVF and 3.2 inch LCD (3.0 inch is stated)

Upvote 0