Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I was not refering to such lenses. I know optical physics and I know that it can not be bended. ;)
It can be bent. All you need is a small black hole in close proximity, which would not only bend the light, lens, photographer......, but would suck the earth inside it, ending all life on the planet, and possibly even ending this thread!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A 400mm DO II is 233mm. A 2xTC is 52mm long. Add it to the DO and it becomes a 285mm long 800mm focal length lens. But, a Canon 800mm lens is 463mm long, so you have got an 800mm focal length lens that is 178mm shorter in physical length!
Add the 2xTC to the 800mm lens, and you get a 1600mm lens for only a 52mm increase in length!
So, that proves Canon is bending the laws of optics!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
With very good DR you got danger overdo photograph too . Its not photograph if more DR what eyes got .More like photographic art .
Just my opinion :p i know i am probably wrong :)

I find it funny in a way that folks equate DR with IQ. In my opinion, there are far more crappy photos taken today by people who believe that DR is more important than contrast when it comes to what would be considered good IQ or a GOOD photo. Not saying that more DR is a bad thing under some shooting conditions, but too much DR leads to so many washed-out, flat-looking photos, that to say today we have more good photos is really just a matter of opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I find it funny in a way that folks equate DR with IQ. In my opinion, there are far more crappy photos taken today by people who believe that DR is more important than contrast when it comes to what would be considered good IQ or a GOOD photo. Not saying that more DR is a bad thing under some shooting conditions, but too much DR leads to so many washed-out, flat-looking photos, that to say today we have more good photos is really just a matter of opinion.

More dynamic range IS one aspect of TECHNICAL IQ because more DR means better raw data. But it is the same in physics (science generally): A good scientist derives better results from bad raw data than a incompetent scientist from the best raw data. On the other hand a good scientist can produce excellent results from the best raw data.

But dynamic range is ONLY ONE aspect of PHOTOGRAPHIC image quality so I agree fully that these flat "look what I can capture" images aren't always the best images from the artistic point of view.

I myself was am happy with the 200D & M50 which have a great sensor and I added the Technicolor style to the cameras. It's a very flat style which is great to capture or better shows a lot of different levels. It is great to see all the stuff in the shadows and the highlights. BUT: the images weren't any longer photographs but just images with a lot of visible content. If one wants to convert the "data" into a photograph it is ESSENTIAL to apply appropriate tone curves and I learned that the Neutral or Faithful styles are much better as starting point for the "end product".
But I like the Technicolor style for a quick check during photographing because it gives a good feedback if you are correct with exposure, light and composition - my theory: Flat view finder (M50)/display contast makes me search for better composition, contrast, light modelling to shell out the subject from the environment ...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I was not refering to such lenses. I know optical physics and I know that it can not be bended. ;)
It can be bent. All you need is a small black hole in close proximity, which would not only bend the light, lens, photographer......, but would suck the earth inside it, ending all life on the planet, and possibly even ending this thread!
Oh Don, this I cannot leave unanswered ;)

I was not referring to light rays, that can't be bended or the space they travel within.
This can be done easier than with black holes, it happens in all cameras and is called diffraction. - and - you know that ;)
And if you think you can use black holes to bend the laws of optical physics then my answer is that the laws are not bended but they are also just subject to the theory of relativity (either general and special) as well as when it comes to quantum theory.
The physics of optics is not bended - it is just part of these higher level theories :p (sorry, there is no Einstein emojy here)

But thank you for a nice Sunday joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Oh Don, this I cannot leave unanswered ;)

I was not referring to light rays, that can't be bended or the space they travel within.
This can be done easier than with black holes, it happens in all cameras and is called diffraction. - and - you know that ;)
And if you think you can use black holes to bend the laws of optical physics then my answer is that the laws are not bended but they are also just subject to the theory of relativity (either general and special) as well as when it comes to quantum theory.
The physics of optics is not bended - it is just part of these higher level theories :p (sorry, there is no Einstein emojy here)

But thank you for a nice Sunday joke.
Thanks. We were getting a bit to serious so I thought I would inject a bit of humor.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Man, ain't nothing going to end this thread - 'announcement date' is coming on Thursday!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Foveon: Foveon suffers from the fact that different wavelengths travel up to different depths into a silicon block. The deepest layer gets strongly attenuated light in that wavelength region. Hence you have different QEs for different colors which counteracts the great principle of evaluating three different wavelength (or color) channels.

I would ask for a source but it doesn't matter because this would affect low light/high ISO images, not bright light/low ISO images.

CFA issues: CFA must NOT be changed to go from 100MP bayer image reconstrugtion to pixel binning of four R-G-G-B pixel quadruplets.

Your algorithm would result in worse fine detail than simply demosaicing the 100mp image and then using a high quality algorithm to scale to 25mp. Also: modern demosaicing algorithms typically look at all 8 neighboring pixels, not just the other 3 in a quad.

You're looking for an improvement in color accuracy/detail that simply isn't there to be gained.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Nothing can end this thread. Theoretical physicists at the Large Hadron Collider are frantically searching for the meaning to this thread, and the impact it will have on the universe itself, as we speak.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Everyone spouts nonsense from time to time on this forum but only seem to dislike other peoples nonsense. We all need to learn to have a bit of tolerance to people who disagree with our own opinions. Whether you like the potential RP or not is a matter of opinion and its formed by where we are coming from and what we want. It's an open forum where all members can freely express an opinion. You never learn anything or change if you don't consider other opinions.

You're preaching to the choir. I wonder how many newbie accounts popping up and saying 'this camera is DOA' will heed you? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
26MP is very close to the Nikon Z6, the only question is the pricing of this camera and it's video capabilities. And as to "back to 26MP sensor"..
Ahhhh cmon Canon, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
It is rather funny that someone comes to this group, complains over a camera spec, and I wonder if he had any of those cameras he complain so much about. It sound more like a BOT trying to create fake-drama to live up this group rather than a serious person. When a man is more concerted about "the size" it means he has a size problem, and the more complaints the serious the issue is... Sorry, but that is what comes to mind when hearing someone complains about a minor thing so loud.

Upvote 0
Warning! Do not try and mate a 1.4x and a 2x tele directly together. If you go that route you have to put an extension tube between them (EF-12) or you are going to scratch some glass!

That was one downside to the mark III extenders - the older ones could be stacked just fine.

Upvote 0
Pretty much everything other than the "Rebel" series has had it since the original 7D firmware update in 2012. It's old news, and not really that useful to most of us. If you need to move images so fast you don't have time to edit on at least a tablet or notebook with a larger, color calibrated screen, you might as well just shoot straight to jpeg.
Further proof about 'baby years'!:cautious:

Upvote 0