Preorder: Canon EOS RP camera and kits

Sep 26, 2018
The biggest surprise is that this is much less stripped down than I expected. UHSII, mic/headphone jacks, 4K, Eye-AF CAF... In fact, it really is fully featured for its price point especially given how conservative Canon has been in the last few years. Although I'm not looking for an entry level body at this point, this bodes very well for the R flagship this year, especially with confirmation of IBIS around the corner.

I wasn't looking for an entry-level body either, but for the price difference from the R (and the small feature differnce), I'm really tempted to get an RP to tide me over until there's a flagship R. Originally I was going to keep my 80D and get a FF second body, but at the price of the RP I'm tempted to fully move to FF over the next year or two.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Says who? Unproven alternative facts? Just let us speak for ourselfs and be done with it. Everybodys mileage may vary.

You say mileage, I say results may vary. I'm not saying that I'm a very good photographer by any means, but I see more people with great cameras that just can't take a photo worth looking at. Regardless of good DR or not. If I need to push a photo to get the results in post and it starts looking like Swiss cheese, I dump it. I got the settings wrong. Before the specs wear you out, let the camera wear you out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I've missed the projected delivery date. Anyone seen that?

It's fear, like when a fox is backed into a corner, that often provokes attacks. The more the attacks the more you can discern the fear.;) Of course I could be wrong!:unsure: Don't misinterpret; I'd hate to see any companies going under.

Jack
I’m seeing 2/27 as the ship date of pre-orders.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
You say mileage, I say results may vary. I'm not saying that I'm a very good photographer by any means, but I see more people with great cameras that just can't take a photo worth looking at. Regardless of good DR or not. If I need to push a photo to get the results in post and it starts looking like Swiss cheese, I dump it. I got the settings wrong. Before the specs wear you out, let the camera wear you out.

More DR is great when it let's you capture more detail, like whites that might require stopping down, or more subtle color changes like during blue hour. DR is an enabler of bad photography when used as a crutch because the photographer is too unmotivated to make proper exposures our learn to use a flash.

Upvote 0
More DR is great when it let's you capture more detail, like whites that might require stopping down, or more subtle color changes like during blue hour. DR is an enabler of bad photography when used as a crutch because the photographer is too unmotivated to make proper exposures our learn to use a flash.

I think one use case of more DR is insurance when you have no choice but to push the photo into oblivion. Sometimes we make mistakes and in changing conditions, fail to anticipate those conditions. Perhaps it was a backlit bride/groom walking down the aisle or a podium speaker in a position partially shaded by a tarp in windy conditions or simply in situations you don't have full control over. If it allows the shooter to salvage the image, I think its worthwhile to have. I don't normally push any of my images +4ev even as a Sony shooter to somehow satisfy my masochistic nature. It's simply another tool in the toolbox when you need it.

Upvote 0
I just love it, but here's a big BUT! As a design engineer I keep the key elements of a new product in focus at all times. One of those key elements in the newish mirrorless cameras is that because of the lack of a prism you have to rely upon the rear LED screen or the electronic view finder for setting up the shot. This needs power -a lot more than a DSLR, which means you are going to run out of power far sooner than than your trusty DSLR ever would. YET, the mirrorless designers are more concerned about size and weight than functionality, and I absolutely cringe when I see a new potentially great mirrorless launched and it has a crappy little battery that can take 250 images! Because the new PR is so small you can fit an extender to make it more comfortable to hold!!!!! Why the hell did the design engineers not rather build a larger grip with an oversized battery that will help us all out in the field?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Let’s wait for the DR tests before getting too excited. Also at £1399 in the U.K. ($1800) it far less of a deal.

I really don't think we need to wait for the DR tests. It is the same sensor as the 6D2 and same processor as the R. So I think the DR will be somewhere between there.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

Sometimes you don't have control over those things :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think one use case of more DR is insurance when you have no choice but to push the photo into oblivion. Sometimes we make mistakes and in changing conditions, fail to anticipate those conditions. Perhaps it was a backlit bride/groom walking down the aisle or a podium speaker in a position partially shaded by a tarp in windy conditions or simply in situations you don't have full control over. If it allows the shooter to salvage the image, I think its worthwhile to have. I don't normally push any of my images +4ev even as a Sony shooter to somehow satisfy my masochistic nature. It's simply another tool in the toolbox when you need it.

It's true one doesn't always have as much control of the light as one might want.

But I've seen it time and time again: In a situation like the windy tarp you describe, the pro often finds a better shooting position with more favorable light angles, while the wanna' bees keep standing in the worst possible spot and complain about the light while hoping their camera's DR will save them.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I always carry a studio flash with me in my canoe :)

Seriously though, sometimes you don't have the proper gear with you, and in the case of flashes, often you are not allowed to use one in the venue. And often you are confined to shooting from a set position and the lighting of the scene is something that you have no control over. I can't tell you how many times I had a flash sitting in my bag and was not allowed to use it :(

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm surprised when photographers dismiss dynamic range as being unimportant in a camera.
Maybe they didn't experience earlier cameras.
Lee Filters, Kase, Hitech etc are all making money from balancing high contrast scenes.
It would be much easier if it could be done without filters and I'm sure it will be possible in the future with computational photography.

Upvote 0
Probably not important to many but why Canon has changed the packaging of the R and RP to include 2 huge plastic trays?
Why did they not choose something like cardboard when the world is already choking in plastic?

Most likely it's cheaper. The RF 24-105 that came in the kit didn't even have the "white box." Likewise, the RF 35 came bundled in paper and not with the traditional upper and lower styrofoam caps.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Most likely it's cheaper. The RF 24-105 that came in the kit didn't even have the "white box." Likewise, the RF 35 came bundled in paper and not with the traditional upper and lower styrofoam caps.
Canon , Inc. HQ recently switched to one ply in all the restrooms as well.

Meanwhile, you guys are stirring the DR hornets nest? Do you actually think you'll 'get anywhere'? It's like politics, just don't.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0