Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

In terms of an 80mp sensor with a 20mp 'color depth' mode I doubt there would be any gain after scaling the normal 80mp version down to 20mp and comparing with the color depth 20mp one.

If one is willing to settle for 20MP, I think adding 2 green pixels to get a single RGB pixel would require less processing than demosaicing @ 80mp and downsampling to 20MP.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
How do cell phone images have inherent DPI?
Take a picture with your phone. The output, whether RAW or JPG will be 72DPI by whatever resolution the sensor is. My current phone will spit out a 72dpi image at somewhere around 57in x 43in. You can change the DPI to whatever you want after the fact, but your phone's output will be 72DPI. Of the hundreds of Cell phone images I've handled from customers, they're always at 72DPI X whatever the output of the sensor is. Usually something rather large. Typically, I reduce the images to from my phone down 15 x 12 @300DPI. It doesn't really make too much of a difference in print, but not having a dimensionally massive file to deal with is easier. Most customers don't go beyond 8"x10" Though, I did do a 7ft. Gallery canvas wrap from an iPhone 4 (original iPhone 4) panorama image that came out looking pretty good. But that just comes down to how Apple handled Panorama mode photos compared to Android at the time (now they both just make one large image)

Upvote 0
Take a picture with your phone. The output, whether RAW or JPG will be 72DPI by whatever resolution the sensor is. My current phone will spit out a 72dpi image at somewhere around 57in x 43in. You can change the DPI to whatever you want after the fact, but your phone's output will be 72DPI.

OK, it's a value the smartphone writes there, which doesn't prevent you from printing the image in whatever DPI you want.

Though, I did do a 7ft. Gallery canvas wrap from an iPhone 4 (original iPhone 4) panorama image that came out looking pretty good. But that just comes down to how Apple handled Panorama mode photos compared to Android at the time (now they both just make one large image)

Smartphone cameras have progressed farther than I thought. I have a rather new Samsung Galaxy, but didn't think it could pull that, and would have gone straight to my DSLR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
reading posts I get the impression that the canon fails. I must admit that I did not like sony and nikon processors because they give unacceptable colors to me. Canon and maybe fuji are the most natural colors, and as for 4k and 8k, it's not clear to me why are they needed when most of the people do not even have a 1080 resolution on TVs or monitors so they are virtually unusable. I like the philosophy of canon that is based, in my opinion, for photography, that video and everything else, so buy your camcorders. It's true that the r series is a lot expensive, I can not follow it, but the 7d mark 3 with this specification I think will be good for the macro(my point of interest). In the end, people should think carefully about what they need and not to run after the news that never uses.

Upvote 0
I have an easier time seeing this as the 90D sensor, with a single Digic 8 processor, video features and autofocus capabilities at least equal to those of the 80D, and topping out at 7-8 fps for stills.

The 7D Mk. III (if indeed there ever is one) should be more about higher fps, enhanced autofocus capabilities, and perhaps an expanded video capacity as well. That will be most likely to be achieved with a lower resolution sensor (24-28 megapixels) with Dual Digic 8 processors. I would also expect it to have a fixed touch screen rather than a flippy, and enhanced water resistance and toughness as compared to the 90D.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
OK, it's a value the smartphone writes there, which doesn't prevent you from printing the image in whatever DPI you want.

DPI will affect your print output. If you change your DPI, but don't adjust your image size in accordance, you'll start to lose quality of the print. If I make a 16x20 print from a 72DPI image that was sized at 8x10, you'll have some pretty bad image degradation. That wouldn't happen if you had an 8x10 at 300DPI.

Smartphone cameras have progressed farther than I thought. I have a rather new Samsung Galaxy, but didn't think it could pull that, and would have gone straight to my DSLR.
Considering how terrible most smartphone cameras handle dynamic range, you're still better off with your DSLR. The 7ft print looked good enough for the couple who wanted it, but the highlights were blown out. The shadowy rocks and water looked okay for what they were. Insofar as a quality print, it works out just fine for your average consumer. But it wouldn't pass muster from your average photographer. On a personal level, the second rear camera on my LG G6 uses a lens comparable to about 14mm or wider. I often use it to capture a single take of a wide landscape that I'd need to take multiple photos to get the same field of view.

Upvote 0
Now 7D Mk III same as 90D. Not exist.

The article says "We’d wager that this camera will be the replacement for the EOS 80D and potentially the EOS 7D Mark II."

My point was that it would seem to be a better fit for a 90D replacement than a 7D Mark II replacement.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Snoke.
Yes you are correct, ‘not exist’ (yet) as you put it!
However it seems likely from other information available on this forum that the 90D ‘might just possibly be’ the replacement for both the 80D and 7DII so it might exist soon enough!
Let’s us all wish hard for that no to be the case unless it is really a down badged 7 and not just equal to the XXD series!

Cheers, Graham.

Now 7D Mk III same as 90D. Not exist.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
7d speed, build quality and focus system with everything else from an 80d should do it! To be honest an 80d sensor in a 7d2 would do me fine.
Putting the 80D sensor (or better) into the 7DMK3 is not combining the two bodies into one, it is 7Dmk3 and 90D different bodies. On my size, having a 24MP sensor in the 7D while increase frame rate, dynamic range and reduce noise is enough to convince me to get the new 7D. The race for "how many MP I have" is not as important for, for most works, you don't need that much MP anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Putting the 80D sensor (or better) into the 7DMK3 is not combining the two bodies into one, it is 7Dmk3 and 90D different bodies. On my size, having a 24MP sensor in the 7D while increase frame rate, dynamic range and reduce noise is enough to convince me to get the new 7D. The race for "how many MP I have" is not as important for, for most works, you don't need that much MP anyway.

I agree! I’d take low light performance and DR over MP count anyday.

Upvote 0
7d speed, build quality and focus system with everything else from an 80d should do it! To be honest an 80d sensor in a 7d2 would do me fine.

I missed the touchscreen when I upgraded from the 70D to the 7D Mk. II. I appreciated getting it back when I upgraded to the 5D Mk. IV, but I still prefer the 7D Mk. II thumb switch for toggling between AF area modes over the 5D dual button dance. As such, I would hope that a 7D Mk. III would retain the thumb switch but add a touch screen.

PS - It also wouldn't bother me if it picked up the live-view focus stacking trick from the RP. Kind of a shame that they have not yet retrofit that to the R with a firmware upgrade.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I missed the touchscreen when I upgraded from the 70D to the 7D Mk. II. I appreciated getting it back when I upgraded to the 5D Mk. IV, but I still prefer the 7D Mk. II thumb switch for toggling between AF area modes over the 5D dual button dance. As such, I would hope that a 7D Mk. III would retain the thumb switch but add a touch screen.

PS - It also wouldn't bother me if it picked up the live-view focus stacking trick from the RP. Kind of a shame that they have not yet retrofit that to the R with a firmware upgrade.

Yes the focus stacking on the RP looks very handy! I’ve thought about a feature like that in the past. I do a bit of product photography so it’d be good for that. Also some studio macro!

Upvote 0