No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

I am a little bit confused: A camera with great video functionality and quality with OVF / display but no EVF? I would expect that in a camera which has at least the EVF or both EVF AND OVF which is possible but imo really expensive except you have transparent oled displays which do not disturb the OVF but light up in the "mirror up state". That would be a really cool thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
The rumored specs mentioned "Dual DIGIC8" processing, so I am going to guess that there's enough processing power for 10fps photos, and uncropped 4K video.
Rumored specs also have Canon doing 4k/60 in a DSLR for the first time since the 1DXII, which just 100% isnt happening...especially since that only does it with a 1.3 crop. Canon segments products in a way that a camera 1/4 the price wont have some major improvement randomly.
Did the 80d just grossly outsell the 7d line?
I imagine so. As the 60D probably outsold the original 7D as well. The 7D line is great for those who need the ruggedness or speed...but for the vast majority of users things like the flip out screen and 40% price savings make the XXD line make more sense. And just like I imagine the 6DII tanked in comaprison to the 6D...the 7DII didnt really improve anything on the sensor side. Wasnt til the 80D that Canon finally came to modernity on that front.

And I imagine Canon would rather see 7D users end up in the 1D line instead.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I am a little bit confused: A camera with great video functionality and quality with OVF / display but no EVF? I would expect that in a camera which has at least the EVF or both EVF AND OVF which is possible but imo really expensive except you have transparent oled displays which do not disturb the OVF but light up in the "mirror up state". That would be a really cool thing.
It does seem a little odd to boost video performance levels starting with an aps-c DSLR at this point, but I guess they have to start somewhere. I am wondering whether some of the rumored spec levels are getting mixed up between the "90D" and the next R camera in the pipeline. Then there is a good chance that some of the rumored specs are just wrong.

Upvote 0
The spread in price points does not suggest to me that 7D line sales have ever effectively poached potential 1D line customers, but having owned a 7D II and currently owning a 5DIV I can see the utility of using a 7D as a second body for 5D or 1D users to get more apparent reach out of long lenses. I would be very interested in adding a 7DIII or 90D, depending on the feature set that actually makes it to market.

Rumored specs also have Canon doing 4k/60 in a DSLR for the first time since the 1DXII, which just 100% isnt happening...especially since that only does it with a 1.3 crop. Canon segments products in a way that a camera 1/4 the price wont have some major improvement randomly.
I imagine so. As the 60D probably outsold the original 7D as well. The 7D line is great for those who need the ruggedness or speed...but for the vast majority of users things like the flip out screen and 40% price savings make the XXD line make more sense. And I imagine Canon would rather see 7D users end up in the 1D line instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Labelling it a 90D sounds very uninspiring. If its just a badge I'd have thought 7DIII would be a more attractive moniker. Could be the same camera either way.
It may be a matter of 'toughness" as a 7D series has to be tank like where an improved XX series could just have some improvement in weather sealing, the 7D is just way overbuilt for 98% of users. I randomly selected that 98% figure of course ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It does seem a little odd to boost video performance levels starting with an aps-c DSLR at this point, but I guess they have to start somewhere. I am wondering whether some of the rumored spec levels are getting mixed up between the "90D" and the next R camera in the pipeline. Then there is a good chance that some of the rumored specs are just wrong.
Don't worry, they'll probably find a way to limit or disable a current 80D feature in the 90D.

Upvote 0
I do not make video but I guess it's good to have video without crop. Some suggest that this camera will replace the current 7D and it will be better, I do not believe at all, the rumors indicate that the 7D line will be canceled and this new camera will be a replacement for the 80D. Unless you have a joystick and a great AF system, I do not see this as useful. If canon thinks that users of 7D will go to line 1D, it will not be my case. I'll go the other way. Hard times to buy and even more difficult for companies. Some bad decisions can cost even a leading company. It seems and many say that the highest profits are in the lines of entry, rebels and M system, I think that is precisely the sector most threatened by smartphones.

Upvote 0
Without oversampling, Canon's 4K has the same lack resolution as the old 1080p. It might just as well be output as 2.7K. The real problem with line skipping is the aliasing and moire. I would take a sensor crop over line skipping.

Correct, but lineskipping on a high enough resolution sensor with the proper binning makes moire not much of an issue. It isn't a noticable issue on the A7R III, Z7 or Hasselblad.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I used to be conversant with digital signal processing of audio, and understood a lot of the math. I don’t remember a lot of what I knew 25 years ago, but I remember that many things were counterintuitive. That makes me skeptical of obvious ways of thinking about how best to convert sensor data to video. Without seeing some mathematical rationale, I can’t get too excited about the differences. I’m sure that there are folks at Adobe who understand these things, and see no reason why Canon et. al. would not also have such folks. Then come in issues of practical implementation.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If the 90D specs are true, whoever does product segmentation at Canon needs to have cardiac function tests daily and be placed on suicide watch until product release. Dual Digic 8, dual card slots, eye detect AF in live view, no crop 4k... All this would be in direct competition with flagship cameras. It simply goes against how Canon has done business since the 5D Mark II. We are much more likely to be disappointed than not. That said, if you've been considering an upgrade, definitely worth waiting to see what happens.
Not in competition with the flagship. Still a crop sensor. Tech trickles "up" very often (DPAF, touch screens, etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0