Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I just find it hard to hate on the camera. ALso it is focused on stills not video but it seems more than capable of doing good videos and still has better video features than what canon and nikon has atm. This is like complaining about the gfx100 video features or the s1r. the main purpose of this isnt video ljust like those other cameras yet people are already bashing this camera from that perspective. I would get it day 1 if i didnt invest into Canon already.
I can't find any problems in the specs either. I will assume untill proven otherwise that it has all the standard sony deficiencies but on paper it looks the goods. Thing is, on paper, all so y ff mirrorless have looked the goods. Their deficiencies tend to get exposed through use over time. And only time will tell with this one. They do seem to be ironing out some of the problems though. Good for all of us who are invested in canon as it will force improvement in canon cameras

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I use both Canon and Sony, but what I really want to know is if Sony ever shaped up their customer service fails. Sony was (is?) notorious in their lack of customer support, horrific turnaround time for repairs, denial of known Sony equipments faults, etc.
And inability to supply spare parts for a three years old (only) high cost large screen TVs.
No stock, no support. The tech is good until it fails and when it fails you better be prepared to fork out mega dollars for a replacement “toy”.
Just great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I use both Canon and Sony, but what I really want to know is if Sony ever shaped up their customer service fails. Sony was (is?) notorious in their lack of customer support, horrific turnaround time for repairs, denial of known Sony equipments faults, etc.
Even the Cinematography division has poor customer service.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I know the weaknesses of my 5DS (its very noisy in low light) but equally I know its strengths and packaging & menus is high on the list, and I simply love the resolution I can play with. Likewise with the 6D MKII which is my "go to" landscape camera it serves the purpose well I use it for.
Ive seriously struggled with the EOS R it has some really annoying features (the drag focus point being one of them, the meaningless Touch Bar another). I like the weight & size of it although the back button focus button is not as ergonomic as with the 5DS. The images from it are very good, the menus typically Canon and all the better for it but if Canon release a pro camera with the toggle switch then I would sell it in an instance because its NEVER my first choice camera and I don't have an infinity with it like I do with the 5DS or the 6D MKII. The RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM is a much better optic than the EF versions I have owned / own and the fast RF zooms & primes so far are killer optics.
No question in some areas Canon lag, in body stabilisation has been inside Olympus & Panasonic cameras for years and latterly Sony. Dynamic range has consistently been a Canon weak spot (Landscape we want more) and all Canon cameras seem to suffer from noise in high ISOs far worse than the competition.

All of the above said. A lifetime using Canon will likely never see me change to Sony, worse still for Sony professionally we buy & rent their cameras & lenses and they are inferior to both Nikon & Canon from a robustness point of view and nothing Ive seen in the A9 has changed that point of view.

Canon need to do better with the camera bodies, they need to accept the sensors lag the competition and that in body stabilisation is now a fact of life. In all other areas, business as usual.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can't find any problems in the specs either. I will assume untill proven otherwise that it has all the standard sony deficiencies but on paper it looks the goods. Thing is, on paper, all so y ff mirrorless have looked the goods. Their deficiencies tend to get exposed through use over time. And only time will tell with this one. They do seem to be ironing out some of the problems though. Good for all of us who are invested in canon as it will force improvement in canon cameras
It has the specs we want for bird photography - high resolution, superb AF, high fps when we want it and that APS-C mode. It's taken 3 generations of Sony users to be beta testers for it to get there. Canon might be slow, but its products work. I'd like to try it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
As a wildlife photographer i am kind of torn between canon and sony at the moment. On the one hand i really like canon so far and am pleased with the gear, but my needs arent getting adressed. i am longing for a native not 10k+ wildlife lens and for an up to date good high iso camera body with good reach (high mp) that can handle moving subjects.

sony seems really good regarding those requirements. 200-600 f6.3 + this 60mp beast with 10fps and supposedly a9 tracking is really all i want.

i dont know what to do. i really like canon but my needs arent getting adressed :/

Agreed.
As much as I hate to say this canon does seem to be severely falling behind.
They still have superior lenses but really do need to step up the sensor and technology of the R cameras.
I have no problem dropping the DSLRs completely if they will become industry leaders in mirrorless and that really includes battery life which is one of the last far superior aspects of the DSLR.

Upvote 0
OMG! Canon Rumors is trolling themselves with Sony announcements! Have they become paid shills for Sony? Ask 'Aussie Shooter'...only he knows for sure.

On a more serious note, where are the Canon engineers? What are they doing? Why is Canon not on the leading edge as they have been for decades? Giving the technological lead to a movie company...ROTCOL.

Upvote 0
On a more serious note, where are the Canon engineers? What are they doing? Why is Canon not on the leading edge as they have been for decades? Giving the technological lead to a movie company...ROTCOL.
I don't think it's that hard to figure out. Sony is hungry in the market and Canon is fat, rich, and happy.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
OMG! Canon Rumors is trolling themselves with Sony announcements! Have they become paid shills for Sony? Ask 'Aussie Shooter'...only he knows for sure.

Nope. If you take not you will see that Canon rumors used the appropriate 'Industry news' section of the forum. Not a 'future canon 1dx mirrorless equivalent ' thread. You should follow their example.

Upvote 0
EOS R is 10 bit externally and only in 4k not even in 1080. makes no sense, example of crippling and thinking for customers. I dont know about the AF claims. Where is the verification of this. True the menus are still ass. S35 is a like 1.5 crop. Do you have evidence that the FF 4k is bad? Liek samples and comparisons. 1.5 is still better than 1.7/1.8. i have video lens and they all are tighter then they should be. this is the a7riv and they claim better oled and weather sealing. So far the only thing you are right about is the terrible menus. I dont see what is cut from this camera at all.
Only Panasonic S1 has internal 10bit recording (under 2500 USD) and that is the reason why S1 is huge compared to other FF mirrorless cameras. No other model does that. It isn't Canon crippling or thinking for customers. This is Sony propaganda.
Which AF verification? Sony says A7R IV has a special AF mode for low light focusing. Sony can verify this if you ask them, but Sony doesn't claim AF at -6EV so that must be true.
I never said 4K video in A7R IV was bad, I talked about the crop mode which Canon has been criticised a lot. Now Sony has the same crop if you want a good quality 4K video.
Sony claims better weather sealing than A7R III which had no sealing around battery/card cover.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I too am a wildlife shooter currently three 5DIV bodies with 500mm f4, 100-400 II and 70-200 2.8 II, TC's as needed. I recently had the opportunity on a game drive in Zambia to try a Sony A9 and A7III with 400 2.8 and 100-400 lens. The A9 action focus system is superior to the 5DIV and would love to see something equal in Canon's new offerings. But the killer for me is the horrible ergonomics of Sony bodies particularly when used on longer lens. Canon has that down to a perfection and their decision to make the R bodies design follow the DSLR's was brilliant. Hard to judge whether the Sony changes in design of the news body might make a difference to ergonomics.

The R does not seem very similar to other bodies to me. One of my favourite thing on Canon DSLRs was the big wheel on the back, replaced on the R with a flimsy and small directional pad.
Also touchscreen cannot replace the joystick for quick operation or with gloves.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's interesting. I wanted to figure out what that means, google it and google only returned your own 2 year old crypto post https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ny-mf-cmos-sensors-out-now.34000/#post-697702
Further back:

Upvote 0
We've been holding our hats for many years, and each year it's the same... wait a little longer and Canon will catch up. And with every release Canon crimps their cameras to protect the top of the line. Oh, joy ... keep the faith... Canon is coming. But Sony isn't sitting on their hands. Canon should become a lens company, and release their lenses in sony, nikon, panasonic mounts.... we'd have the best of both worlds, great lenses on great cameras

nonsense,
you can't have the awesome Rf lensea for e mount. Tjey would be unaffordable

Upvote 0