Canon EOS R5 Specifications

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019

The two things I care about the most (not mentioned in these specs):
1. No blackout a la Sony A9 (the slide show while viewing the EVF on the EOS R is terrible IMO)
2. Better DR

The rest (increased resolution, joy stick, etc would be nice, but not as critical as the above IMO)

Upvote 0
I am wondering about this camera as a possible wildlife rig. The higher MP almost match my 5DSR and if the focusing system, frame rate, higher ISO performance and DR are improvements over the 5DSR this could make an excellent camera for BIF and other wildlife.

Will also be interested to understand how it handles extenders (1.4 or 2x). I haven't used the 5D Mark IV so would be interested to hear from those that have that camera how it handles those extenders.

Can't wait to see it if the CR3 is true!

Upvote 0
Haven't commented here in years and see the rhetoric has gotten worse. People complaining about Canon not giving them enough video features. Wah. Not enough megapixels. Sony has more. Nikon has more. Wah. It's to slow. Wah. Seems like they're delivering on all accounts now (8K, 45MP, 12/20 fps still shooting), yet still complaints without the full specs being released... If these are the real features they need to make money, so yes it will be priced at a premium. Most of you all probably don't even maximize the capability of the gear you have and this camera isn't going to improve your photos.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Seriously? I don't know of anyone who expected Canon's first full-frame mirrorless to be less than $2000. I think most people were estimating in the $2500-3200 range as it was very close to 5D4 specs (give or take), but mirrorless.

No, everyone else did not think it was overpriced.

yes, seriously, going off the specs, no one thought the R should be anywhere close to $3k lol.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I am wondering about this camera as a possible wildlife rig. The higher MP almost match my 5DSR and if the focusing system, frame rate, higher ISO performance and DR are improvements over the 5DSR this could make an excellent camera for BIF and other wildlife.

Will also be interested to understand how it handles extenders (1.4 or 2x). I haven't used the 5D Mark IV so would be interested to hear from those that have that camera how it handles those extenders.

Can't wait to see it if the CR3 is true!
I don't do much stuff that's as demanding on autofocus as birds in flight or anything, but the 2X III extender works fine on my 5D IV with the 70-200 2.8 IS II. I mean, I can't really tell the extender is in there based on how the camera operates, other than the fact that it zooms further and the aperture only goes down to f5.6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
king place. That's what I'm asking... People seem to be unable to believe that a camera could ever handle this level of video, but my question is what does the camera really nee
But none (yet) even have the same pixel density as my 7DII, and all have vastly inferior viewfinders and battery life.
Pretty safe bet that the high res model will be coming along, but you are absolutely right about the battery life. Mirror box AF sensors use WAY less power than a main sensor plus a display, but there are other tradeoffs. I have a 90D and in SLR mode it is amazingly frugal with the battery. However, in live mode the AF is more accurate and it works well down to at least f/11 and in decent light even f/16 whereas the (very good) OVF is limited to f/8. Live view does suck battery pretty much the same way as a mirrorless so those are the tradeoffs. The 7D II is a very good camera, but the niche it fills uniquely is not a very big part of the market, and that's not to say that folks who didn't NEED one didn't buy one, because they did, but rather to say that the requirement for a 7D that can't be filled by something else is small. For many, the 90D will suffice and it does have noticeably more reach and really decent video. For others, the flexibility of the RF series with the ability to shoot full or crop and offer DPAF with an EVF will be just fine. Note, also that IBIS will make AF even better, since it is easier for the camera to capture an accurate proxy to drive the AF.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I guess it's a good thing the vast majority of people who matter in the field disagree with you.
His viewpoint is not dissimilar to the worldview on photography during it's onset. Artists and critics in the mid 1800's dismissed it in general and it wasn't until pictorialism style of photography in the late 1800's in which the masses started to accept it as an artform.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).
It's the same pixel density as D850 which is only slightly less than D500, and IQ in general would be much better than 7DII, losing a little reach is something I cut off my right arm for if these specs are true.

Upvote 0
I think you may not be familiar with a lot of photographers who are artists. Edward Weston, Jerry Uelsmann, Andreas Gursky, Minor White, Stephen Shore and Jeff Wall are just a few that come to mind who are or were excellent craftsmen and also world class artists.
Didn't say was. I said is. And because I suspect there might be a bias means I don't know these photographers? Why not add Ansel to your list--I must be a total noob, huh?

Upvote 0
so pretty much canon is going from the no-go camera for video to the holly grail if all video mirrorless cameras in one single update?

Some how i think this is a Santa's wish list to Canon other than the real specs of this camera....

Unless someone on Canon got sacked and a new managing guy took over it and change all Canon's ideas of what a great camera should have for specs, i'm 110% sure those specs won't happen in the next 4 years. They only started doing 4K on their cameras 1yr ago, do you have any idea how long its going to take for them to add 8K???? not to mention there isn't technology available to do that on a mirrorless camera yet.

So i wouldn't even hope for this kind of specs on a Canon camera anytime soon.

Upvote 0