Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

These are intriguing rumors! Some of my thoughts to add to the mix:

• Name -- If it truly will be called the R6, I think it's 95% likely that it's intended to fill the RF-equivalent slot of what the 6D is in the EF world. More precisely, it would fill the entry-level role for the RF mount. This also leads me to agree with the probability that the RP is a one-off.

• Sensor -- Using a 20MP sensor would point to re-using the 1DXIII sensor, which I think could be likely. It makes sense in terms of maximizing economies of scale in production. The original 6D also received a splendid sensor (some considered better than its 5D sibling at the time). Image quality alone was not held back then, and I see no reason why it would be held back now. I see no shortage of other ways the camera can be nerfed to maintain product position.

That said, it would be disappointing-but-possible that the 20MP sensor could be reused from 6DI. While I think it's unlikely, it would be a differentiation counterpoint to the FPS and other rumored features. Remember how long the 18MP crop sensor persisted in Canon models? :O

• Performance -- While many are saying the rumored specs are just too good for an "entry-level" RF MILC, when compared against the price/performance of similar Sony and Nikon MILCs, it doesn't seem crazy to me -- especially if the RP fades away without an encore. Comparing processing throughput to high-end bodies is also useless because...M6II.

Personally, I'm salivating at the possibility of the R5 (along with probably a gazillion others). If it has a fully articulating screen, and 5D-level performance, I don't really care how much it will cost. I will save for it. And love it. :)

Even if these rumors turn out to be total codswallop, just reading them with CR2.5 and CR3 attached is satisfyingly exciting and will have been totally worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sounds interesting. But with the new RF mount and those big chunky RF lenses, the idea of the whole R series is a bit strange. Why make a mirrorless line where the lenses are 1.5 times bigger that the old EF system (and two times as expensive). Simply don't get that. If Canon does not come up with some good and small primes in the 28-50mm range, I can't see any use for the R line besides well paid portrait and studio photographers.
Even a quick internet search will reveal your statement about size and price is rubbish. The equivalent lenses that have been made so far for the RF mount are all in the same ballpark as the EF lenses. Some are smaller, some slightly bigger, some almost exactly the same. The 24-105mm is exactly the same price, the RF 24-70 /2.8 has the same price at introduction that the EF model did in 2012, the RF 70-200 f/2.8 is much smaller and lighter.

Upvote 0
If this camera costs less than the Canon EOS RP in the beginning it will be below the EOS RP no matter how good the specs are. An upcoming Canon EOS RP Mark II will have better specs than this, that's it.

Despite giving IBIS and 4k@60p Canon has some options to release this camera for less money than the RP:
Less buttons, just one dial, no viewfinder, cheaper material for the body, no grip, screen with less resolution than other cameras, buttons less customizable, less menu options, 4k crop, less ports, no dual pixel af in 4k...

Good grief is that still a camera? Perhaps they can let the buyers solder their own circuit boards to. That would certainly save some cash.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Fairly sure they will as the RF 35mm f/1.8 is a great offering at it's price range with both IS and Macro capabilities. With this new entry level release there will most likely be a wave of more "affordable" RF macros and zooms to back it up.

+1. This is correct on more affordable lenses. You don't sell a $999 body and force new users to buy $2k+ lenses. Less expensive RF lenses are coming.

Whether other RF non-L primes all get the slick 1:2 macro action of the RF 35 is another matter. Shorter FL macro primes tend to be externally focusing and get a lot longer as you approach MFD (I presume) to keep it relatively compact when you aren't shooting macro:
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.43.59 PM.png

Some folks (like myself) want a robust internally focusing prime. I recognize RF 35 is not as fragile as my beloved EF 50 f/1.4, but if a new not enormous/heavy 50 is coming, I'd prefer it to be a rock solid internally focusing design.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Who cares what their names, designations are R-R2 RS R6...As long as they have the goods inside.

As a photographer: I take your point.

As a person that IRL builds systems of products to be intuitive and work well together -- which includes painstaking development of product branding / nomenclature: Please don't ruin this moment for me. ;)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Even a quick internet search will reveal your statement about size and price is rubbish. The equivalent lenses that have been made so far for the RF mount are all in the same ballpark as the EF lenses. Some are smaller, some slightly bigger, some almost exactly the same. The 24-105mm is exactly the same price, the RF 24-70 /2.8 has the same price at introduction that the EF model did in 2012, the RF 70-200 f/2.8 is much smaller and lighter.

If you read jjesp's statement factually as 'RF lenses are bigger than EF lenses', it falls apart, yes.

But if you read his statement that Canon is not leaning into building a compact system -- which is how I read it -- jjesp would be correct.

Canon has not prioritized building great small f/2 primes and f/4 zooms for RF. Though that saddens me (I would love those things), I understand why Canon is leading with a lot of megasexy big glass:
  • Draws existing Canon users into the platform in general. #1 priority as we are the largest chunk of photographers and the easiest sale.
  • Dangles stuff the competition doesn't have to draw them in. New users to Canon need glass.
  • Dangles stuff EF doesn't have to get people already in the fold to buy pricey new glass rather than adapting their current stuff.
  • Leading with small and compact was Sony's entrance to the market and I think it's pretty clear that approeach didn't win the hearts of performance enthusiasts + pros -- everyone just kept asking for big pro glass. Based on this, Canon may have deprioritized small & light and decided to focus on migration of existing users.
We'll get smaller RF lenses. It's a certainty. But it's clearly not a high priority right now.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
These are intriguing rumors! Some of my thoughts to add to the mix:

• Sensor -- Using a 20MP sensor would point to re-using the 1DXIII sensor, which I think could be likely. It makes sense in terms of maximizing economies of scale in production. The original 6D also received a splendid sensor (some considered better than its 5D sibling at the time). Image quality alone was not held back then, and I see no reason why it would be held back now. I see no shortage of other ways the camera can be nerfed to maintain product position.

That said, it would be disappointing-but-possible that the 20MP sensor could be reused from 6DI. While I think it's unlikely, it would be a differentiation counterpoint to the FPS and other rumored features. Remember how long the 18MP crop sensor persisted in Canon models? :O

• Performance -- While many are saying the rumored specs are just too good for an "entry-level" RF MILC, when compared against the price/performance of similar Sony and Nikon MILCs, it doesn't seem crazy to me -- especially if the RP fades away without an encore. Comparing processing throughput to high-end bodies is also useless because...M6II.

There is imo zero chance Canon would use something like 6DI sensor, that just seems completly unlikely. It's not about the mpx only, it's about the ability of fast read-out. All cameras are imo going to receive new sensors. We've been there with the R and RP already and Canon seems to be scrapping those lines as a first of a kind experiment.

However - if the new R6 is supposed to be a video centric camera, well then. But if they think of that more as a 6D III one, I am not sure how ppl will accept going down from 26mpx to 20 mpx, being it their main camera, and not just their supplement body to R5, for the DR sake. I would not accept that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The more I think about it (R-mount camera series), the more I want Canon to offer:

1) a low-end full-frame (RP)
2) a workhorse full-frame (R5)
3) a video-oriented full-frame (a7s competitor, i.e., the camera possibly described in this thread)
4) a high MP full-frame (Rs)
5) a speed/sports behemoth (R1)

And, as for APS-C, let it continue in the M line and in the EF bodies, like the Rebels and 90D. If people stop buying them, so be it - full steam ahead on full-frame.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

So, this table is coming from my head (and some of the infos from these rumors). What you guys think?
Crazy? So..so..? Possible?
View attachment 188420

I think you should expect the R1 to have 20mp for the same reasons the prior 3 models have hovered around that mark. And consider the 7d might become the full frame R6(Especially as a baby 1Dx sharing the sensor) with the RS continuing to happily sail along as the 6D II successor.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So, this table is coming from my head (and some of the infos from these rumors). What you guys think?
Crazy? So..so..? Possible?
View attachment 188420

Not bad! First four lines are more or less where I am, but R3 could be a host of names: R2, R3, R4, R5S, etc. and Canon may not want the high res to be positioned as higher prestige than the R5 with this new system. And the R1 will be a mirrorless 1DX3 one would think -- lower res (possibly the same 20 MP sensor).

I see the last two lines dying off -- IBIS will become the standard expectation, those are confusing names vs. other models, etc.

R7 may never happen, but if it did, it might be a crop sensor in there.

Also, 5D4 and 5DS never had 2x cards -- they were 1 + 1. Think they'll make the jump with the mirrorless model?

- A

Upvote 0
Not bad! First four lines are more or less where I am, but R3 could be a host of names: R2, R3, R4, R5S, etc. and Canon may not want the high res to be positioned as higher prestige than the R5 with this new system. And the R1 will be a mirrorless 1DX3 one would think -- lower res (possibly the same 20 MP sensor).
This prestige thing of the 5D makes sense. Maybe they swap positions so (R3 beeing the new 5D and R5 beeing the high megapixel..)

I see the last two lines dying off -- IBIS will become the standard expectation, those are confusing names vs. other models, etc.
Yeh, i think they are gone. Thats why i put them in orange.

R7 may never happen, but if it did, it might be a crop sensor in there.
I would like to see a R7 FF, low res high fps (of course, not the R1 level)...

Also, 5D4 and 5DS never had 2x cards -- they were 1 + 1. Think they'll make the jump with the mirrorless model?

- A
I think so, because sony (the high megapixel one) has Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II). So, once it will not have high fps for shooting, i think it makes sense.

Upvote 0
I think you should expect the R1 to have 20mp for the same reasons the prior 3 models have hovered around that mark. And consider the 7d might become the full frame R6(Especially as a baby 1Dx sharing the sensor) with the RS continuing to happily sail along as the 6D II successor.
Yeh, makes sene. Maybe a 24mp, so it's more like the A9ii (witch costs now $4.500). I dont think they will stick with 20mp forever..

Upvote 0
So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A

Yep... many including me saw the RP and R as just stop gap cameras. Simply digital backs for those RF lenses. Obviously (if all this is true) canon had the lens ready go good way before they were there with the bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if the bodies of the RP and R remain the same (size wise) which would go inline that they didn't have the internals ready. And they used the R as a test for some of their newer things. Like the mode button, and MFN bar.

Upvote 0