Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Jan 27, 2020
The R5 sounds like a great camera for many, but where is the RS???

I was looking to upgrade to the 5DSR last summer when the rumors of the RS dropped. At 83MP, then 80, then even at 75MP, I was not only looking forward to the mirrorless experience, but willing to spend on new glass as well, even though I have a large investment in EF L lenses.

I waited and was happy to finally hear about a February announcement and release shortly after. Then less than a month away, and just two days ago it all changed. Now it is 45MP and a July release?

I can't see spending +$6k on a new body and glass, when I can get 5MP more for $1,400, and use my perfectly good glass.

What am I missing (other than Video which is not a priority for me)?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I was looking to upgrade to the 5DSR last summer when the rumors of the RS dropped. At 83MP, then 80, then even at 75MP, I was not only looking forward to the mirrorless experience, but willing to spend on new glass as well, even though I have a large investment in EF L lenses.

I waited and was happy to finally hear about a February announcement and release shortly after. Then less than a month away, and just two days ago it all changed. Now it is 45MP and a July release?

I can't see spending +$6k on a new body and glass, when I can get 5MP more for $1,400, and use my perfectly good glass.

If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. Megapixels are everything, after all.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My conern is that while R5 rumors are two days old, RS rumors are 6 months old, and now crickets... Did the R5 replace the RS? Is there some issue with the 75MP sensor? What gives?
Only Canon knows it's road map and release schedule. A week or two ago people were expecting an R Mark II and not the R5. The high resolution camera will be here. We just don't know when, however, 45mp is nothing to sneeze at. Then there's IBIS, a higher frame rate, touch screen, articulated screen, probably better DR etc., etc., etc. as compared to the old 5DSr. I wouldn't just look at it as being just a 5mp difference. These are two vastly different cameras.

BTW: You can seamlessly use your EF glass on any RF mount camera. You don't have to buy glass. You probably already knew that though. Where would you get a new 5DSr for $1,400? Still $3,500+ at Adorama tonight. https://www.adorama.com/ica5dsr.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Only Canon knows it's road map and release schedule. A week or two ago people were expecting an R Mark II and not the R5. The high resolution camera will be here. We just don't know when, however, 45mp is nothing to sneeze at. Then there's IBIS, a higher frame rate, touch screen, articulated screen, probably better DR etc., etc., etc. as compared to the old 5DSr. I wouldn't just look at it as being just a 5mp difference. These are two vastly different cameras.

BTW: You can seamlessly use your EF glass on any RF mount camera. You don't have to buy glass. You probably already knew that though. Where would you get a new 5DSr for $1,400? Still $3,500+ at Adorama tonight. https://www.adorama.com/ica5dsr.html
I might find the articulating screen and IBIS liberating, as I mostly shoot on a tripod these days. Better DR would be good as well, but I would rather have the extra 20MP of the RS. There would have to be a spectacular piece of RF glass to justify $4k on the body (and then the glass) instead of $1,400 (grey market) on a 5DSR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
My conern is that while R5 rumors are two days old, RS rumors are 6 months old, and now crickets... Did the R5 replace the RS? Is there some issue with the 75MP sensor? What gives?
My guess is the RII, RS and the R5 may be all the same camera (the R5). These are rumors we are feeding off of. The RII name was just made up to refer to the next rumored R.....that name became the RS based on someone seeing that moniker somewhere ??? but that "S" was actually a "5" not an "S" ??, but now we have solid intel that the name is actually the R5.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Versus the R5, assuming the specs are correct? IBIS, higher fps, better base ISO DR, mirrorless features like Eye AF, and an EVF. That said the 5Ds/sR have DSLR features like OVF, long battery life, and PDAF. PDAF is not as intelligent as DPAF when it comes to subject tracking, but is very fast/reliable if you can keep an AF point on target.

I don't honestly expect the R5's high ISO to be much better, though it will probably be 1/3 - 2/3 stop better.

If none of these things matter to you then a 5DsR is the way to go. It wasn't too long ago that I overhauled my kit centered around the 5Ds, and most of my lenses now have IS. I've got nothing but praise for that camera and sensor. Sharpness, fine detail, color science, high ISO, AF/AE performance...even DR seems fine as long as you expose difficult scenes ETTR and ignore spec sheets. Lower fps means adjusting your habits a bit, but AF is superb and I'm nailing 'peak moment' shots easily.

I think the 5Ds/sR gray market (and D800/810 used for Nikon guys) are an absolute steal right now for stills photography. That said...I've wanted a 4k capable camera for a while so I'm eager to see the R5 announcement and pricing. But it would not replace my 5Ds if I do end up buying one. It would compliment it.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Better than what? 5Ds or 5DIV?

5Ds/sR. The R5 might not be any better than a 5D IV.

Note that I'm speaking about noise in a gray card test. In the real world with detail I would rank the 5Ds higher than the 5D IV. Even at 12,800 sharpness and fine detail are considerably better leaving plenty of room to eliminate small noise differences with LNR/CNR. From a real world perspective I'm sure I would judge the R5 better, even if it has the same noise levels as the 5D IV when shooting a gray card or color chart, simply because of the 45mp.

Upvote 0
5Ds/sR. The R5 might not be any better than a 5D IV.

Note that I'm speaking about noise in a gray card test. In the real world with detail I would rank the 5Ds higher than the 5D IV. Even at 12,800 sharpness and fine detail are considerably better leaving plenty of room to eliminate small noise differences with LNR/CNR. From a real world perspective I'm sure I would judge the R5 better, even if it has the same noise levels as the 5D IV when shooting a gray card or color chart, simply because of the 45mp.

This chart shows 5Ds lags 1.1 stops behind 5DIV and 1.9 (!) stops from A7RIV.

1/3 or even 2/3 stop improvement won't be enough to take me in tbh. If it's at least as good as 5DIV it'll be ok, but otherwise I'll probably switch to Sony...

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK

Patience

Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
The a7r4 shoots files that are 9500 pixels wide. D850, which is also 45 mp like supposedly the R5, files that are about 8300 pixels on the long side. Only 1200 pixel or 15% difference :). If that makes all the difference in your pictures I’d think you are doing something wrong. Better buy a GFX 100 then.
I think photography is the only gadget hobby I know of where people are openly criticized for wanting more features. It gives manufacturers excuses to be lazy and leads to smartphones that perform better than cameras.

If you seriously believe anyone needs to justify themselves for wanting more megapixels, better video, or ANYTHING, doesn't matter what it is — you should probably just go back to film. I don't know why you're here.

There are types of photography that benefit from heavy cropping. Assuming everyone is doing the same type of photography you are is extremely childish. Have an open mind. And this isn't just directed at the post I quoted, but earlier ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
My guess is the RII, RS and the R5 may be all the same camera (the R5). These are rumors we are feeding off of. The RII name was just made up to refer to the next rumored R.....that name became the RS based on someone seeing that moniker somewhere ??? but that "S" was actually a "5" not an "S" ??, but now we have solid intel that the name is actually the R5.
The RII was the minor upgrade to 32MP of the original, and we had only heard about it for a few weeks, with no hands on leak. The RS was a guess at the name due to the high MP, but had solidified over the fall, and was the most solid rumored R. I find it hard to believe that 20MP fell off the sensor, and the S changed to 5 in process, especially as we have only known that massive change for a few days. Maybe the DIGIC X gives Canon the flexibility to ship an APS-C R, R6, RII, R5, and the RS in the first half of the year, but why would they flood the zone. It is not their style.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017

Rumor says 2020 have 4 EOS R cameras.

1. R5
2. R6
3. Rs
4. R??

Old list now bad list. New list better.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm gonna cross-post what I said in the R6 thread, since it's relevant here as well.

The more I think about the R-mount series as a whole, the more I want Canon to offer:

1) a low-end full-frame (RP, which fully replaces the 6D, the previous low-end FF series)
2) a workhorse full-frame (R5)
3) a video-oriented full-frame (a7s competitor, i.e., the camera possibly described in the R6 thread)
4) a high-MP full-frame (Rs)
5) a speed/sports full-frame (R1)

As for APS-C, let it continue in the M line and in the EF bodies, like the Rebels and 90D. If people stop buying them, so be it - full steam ahead on full-frame.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The a7r4 shoots files that are 9500 pixels wide. D850, which is also 45 mp like supposedly the R5, files that are about 8300 pixels on the long side. Only 1200 pixel or 15% difference :). If that makes all the difference in your pictures I’d think you are doing something wrong. Better buy a GFX 100 then.
It doesn't make 'all' the difference. It allows to crop more and/or print larger. I like sometimes to convert aspect ratio to 4:5 or 16:9. Effectively it's cropping.

This image is one shot (not a composite) on 30Mp 5DIV but very heavy crop. I only had a few seconds to shoot it and didn't have time to change the lens to a longer one. Even at 70mm it's a heavy crop. It's somewhat usable on the web but not printable. If I had a 20Mp camera, it'd be even less usable, but had I had a 80Mp monster it'd be printable.

Not that I'm having such conditions forcing me to crop all the time. But it's my money and there are 45 and 60Mp cameras on the market already, I don't have to buy a hugely expensive GFX100.

Attachments

• 20191214-IMG_6217-Edit.jpg
    20191214-IMG_6217-Edit.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0