Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
In a quite geeky way I am really excited about the teleconverters.

Just look at Son'y FE teleconverters. They are absolutely exceptional - tiny and ultra high performance. On fredmiranda there was a lot of detailed testing of the 100-400GM with the 1.4 and in nearly every shot it wasn't possible to even tell there was a teleconverter there. It seems getting them close to the sensor really makes a big difference.

The old Sony alpha teleconverters were nothing special really. By contrast Canon has a long history of being at the cutting edge with teleconverters so I really can't wait to see what they can offer for RF teleconverters.

So Sony has almost caught up with Canon with TCs.
The 100-400mm L MII and both 1.4X and 2X MIII ihas been for years virtually no difference if the converter is on or off.
So yes, with the RF mount, Canon should take another major leap ahead optics wise.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How have you found having the 28-70 paired up with those two? I was expecting it to look much bigger than the 15-35! Can you enjoy walking around with it?
Be warned: The 28-70 is a heavy beast. A very large heavy beast.

That said, it is a cracking great lens! Really, if you don't mind the size and weight, it is wonderful.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
The touch bar is great for on/off purposes like the level and histogram. I use "swipe" for magnification.
That, and the control ring on the RF lenses for the exposure compensation. Brilliant! Talk about EOS R bad ergonomics ...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There are no good 180mm Macros left for EF system with discontinuation of Sigma 180mm OS. There are already compatibility issues with Sigma 180mm on EOS-R and with release of these new cameras the problem will just get worse and no option to upgrade firmware as its older pre Global Vision lens. Rest all macro lenses I own work just fine with EOS R as most of them are Manual focus macro with 100mm L being the only AF macro in my kit.

That's interesting, and a pity, as I recently got the Sigma 180 again! Not that I'm looking at an R body any time soon.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
So Sony has almost caught up with Canon with TCs.
The 100-400mm L MII and both 1.4X and 2X MIII ihas been for years virtually no difference if the converter is on or off.
So yes, with the RF mount, Canon should take another major leap ahead optics wise.

Though Sony does it with converters half the size - so right now they are actually probably the best (putting aside all the usual Sony quality control and build quality questions). Indeed actually if you take size into consideration, Sony has the best teleconverters bar none. If you haven't held them in your hand do so if you get a chance, you'll be shocked - their 1.4x feels not much bigger than lens cap when on the camera. It makes them nice to handle too, avoiding putting the centre of gravity even further forward with long lenses.

See how the Sony 2x is comparable in size to the canon 1.4x. I really think Canon will bring out some amazing RF teleconverters. It does appear to be an area, like wide angle lenses, where mirrorless designs pay dividends.

Attachments

• teleconverters.jpg
    teleconverters.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Most people will probably shoot at 4K60 or 4K30. 4K120 is for special situations where a 2x crop might not even be that big a deal. It's not like 8K30 is a replacement for 4K120, they're completely different beasts.
Yep, how often are you shooting 15mm full-frame slow-motion? And NEED it to be wider than say, the 22mm you could get with a Canon EF 11-24mm attached? A lot more slow-mo work is done at 50+mm anyway

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I did not know the camera benchmark is eye auto focus.
The current internet benchmark is whatever Sony has that can be said to be better than what Canon has. So eye auto focus is a benchmark but dual pixel AF, touchscreen control management and AF, or better color science are not benchmarks.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L is that bad?
Is the 180L too old/slow/soft for you? It's still in production.

- A
I found AF to be quite slow compared to either 100mm and Sigma 180mm OS macro. Also for some reason its not very popular with butterfly group here and almost all butterfliers I know own 180mm OS for for either EF or F mounts.
That's interesting, and a pity, as I recently got the Sigma 180 again! Not that I'm looking at an R body any time soon.
What camera body do you use? I found it works perfectly with 80D but since EOS R I used was a rental didnt risk using 180mm OS with that body. I am planning to get RP soon as its discounted quite heavily and it is very tempting for the price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Likely the real news:
Canon EOS R5 (assume sub $4k camera)

45mp full-frame CMOS
IBIS
12fps / 20fps ; FF / crop, respsectively
8K @ 30p ; external recording
4K @ 120p ; external recording
4K @ 60p ; external recording
Rumored announcement date of February 13, 2020

4K @ 120p and 8k is far fetch; unbelievable. They will need at least the 4K @ 60p to stay competitive to Panny. Historically, Canon's business of video (cinema or dslr) is always behind in the market. If any of these comes true, their business practice have to be transformed dramatically.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Likely the real news:
Canon EOS R5 (assume sub $4k camera)

45mp full-frame CMOS
IBIS
12fps / 20fps ; FF / crop, respsectively
8K @ 30p ; external recording
4K @ 120p ; external recording
4K @ 60p ; external recording
Rumored announcement date of February 13, 2020

4K @ 120p and 8k is far fetch; unbelievable. They will need at least the 4K @ 60p to stay competitive to Panny. Historically, Canon's business of video (cinema or dslr) is always behind in the market. If any of these comes true, their business practice have to be transformed dramatically.

Canon can either read and process the data off a 45mp chip at 30fps or they can't. As others have pointed out, these sorts of frame rates can be handled via mobile-class processors. If Canon can read the chip that fast, then there's no reason you can't internally record those frame rates. There's also no need for a crop at 20fps—the rumor seems pretty clear about the differentiator being the mechanical vs electronic shutter (something it seems like people are still really confused about!)

Historically, Canon started the whole video thing with the 5D2, and they also had the best sensors for the first years of the digital revolution. I agree that they've been a solid 2+ years behind on their bodies in some key areas (DR, readout speed) but getting "better chips" from a company that has a core business around "designing and producing chips" is not a "dramatic transformation" of their business.

Upvote 0
Do they? Are you sure? Sounds like fake news
I use strobes indoors and outdoors pretty much for all my work and I would never use a frame grab or constant lights. You can’t control the ambient exposure outdoors with constant lights (unless you have a movie set lights on trucks) and even indoors on location constant is inferior to strobes, also I need the highest quality raw file and frame grabs aren’t full raw.

• Love
Upvote 0
Not entirely, there is a shift to video and photo combination, which also leads to continues lightning, which let photographers use continues lightning, also for Pro's. There would a frame grab more relevant and sufficient.

And wait, what are pro's? In my opinion Pro's are people that make content and images that works.There is no specific way to create such work.
I would never use frame grabs or constant lights

Upvote 0
What camera body do you use? I found it works perfectly with 80D but since EOS R I used was a rental didnt risk using 180mm OS with that body. I am planning to get RP soon as its discounted quite heavily and it is very tempting for the price.

I'm mostly using my old 5D3 and still hope to get a 90D soon. The R series is interesting, but I'm not tempted enough yet :)

Upvote 0
One possibility for the delay of the high res R is that there was a problem on the sensor during fabrication meaning that they needed to make a change for full production. Could easily account for a few months' delay.

I'm still futility and with complete loss of reason hoping that we'll see a scaled-up R5 sensor to 44x33 medium format. It would use the same RF mount with a small lineup of RFx lenses. This would also give us the ability to use existing RF/EF lenses as we do now by using 35mm crop mode – or – letting us use full 44x33. We know from the GFX, many EF lenses can cover 44x33, so some of the RF primes should as well like the f/1.2 RF 50 and 85.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Canon can either read and process the data off a 45mp chip at 30fps or they can't. As others have pointed out, these sorts of frame rates can be handled via mobile-class processors. If Canon can read the chip that fast, then there's no reason you can't internally record those frame rates. There's also no need for a crop at 20fps—the rumor seems pretty clear about the differentiator being the mechanical vs electronic shutter (something it seems like people are still really confused about!)

Historically, Canon started the whole video thing with the 5D2, and they also had the best sensors for the first years of the digital revolution. I agree that they've been a solid 2+ years behind on their bodies in some key areas (DR, readout speed) but getting "better chips" from a company that has a core business around "designing and producing chips" is not a "dramatic transformation" of their business.
You're gonna have to substantiate the claims, not echoing rumors; e.g. make comparison with Canon's line-up or the current market devices (of similar segment).

I still tell people that the IQ of 5Dii is still relevant today comparing to the 5Div; my first DSLR in 2008. Since the advent of video DSLR in 2008, Canon had never made dramatic stride to be the strongest competitor in the video/cinema department. Even the 5Dii was problematic for over a year, and Magic Latern (and GH1) community pushed Canon to revised the firmware, to having proper-30P and then 24p.

If R5 features are to be true, then we will likely to see the pricing structured similar to the 1Dc 4K in 2012 for $10K+.

Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
That's a lovely set up!

I am still using my EF 24-70 2.8L II adapted on the R. I have been tempted by the RF 24-70L IS mainly for the IS as I don't believe there is much optical improvement over the EF... but I think what really is stopping me buying it is the feeling that deep down I want the 28-70/2! Especially at the moment - the Rf 24-70 prices have dropped a bit but they are still obviously high thanks to its recent introduction while the 28-70 has settled a bit and at least in England currently isn't a crazy amount more than the 24-70.

How have you found having the 28-70 paired up with those two? I was expecting it to look much bigger than the 15-35! Can you enjoy walking around with it?

I used to have the 24-70 EF version. I got the 28-70 for something more unique. I can always cover the 24-28 2.8 range with the 15-35 2.8. So what the heck? The size is.. interesting. But you get used to it. Image quality is spectacular!

Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
I used to have the 24-70 EF version. I got the 28-70 for something more unique. I can always cover the 24-28 2.8 range with the 15-35 2.8. So what the heck? The size is.. interesting. But you get used to it. Image quality is spectacular!

With an F2 zoom, I also feel no need to get any primes on that focal length range.

Upvote 0
As a professional landscape photographer I've been waiting for over 2 years through hundreds of rumours of the upcoming Canon High Megapixel Camera:
CANON-RS
touted to be 75 to 100 Megapixels

This would be a huge benefit for me as I print 40x60 inches and larger

If Canon doesn't announce a high megapixel camera body in February 2020 I will be reluctantly jumping ship to Sony and buying the A7r4 or the rumoured Nikon D900 (with the Sony 64 Megapixel Sensor) or even possibly the upcoming 100 megapixel Fuji GFX Lite Body

I would much rather stick with Canon

I love their hardware and have been a Canon Aficionado since 1980 when I got my Canon A1 film camera.

The new RF lenses look simply amazing and will only continue to expand their offerings

I think Sony can be consistently relied upon to upgrade their camera bodies every 24 months and they have more resources in their sensor fabrication and electronics to stay on the cutting edge

I don't give a Rat's Ass about video although and 8K time lapse function would be great.
A 45 megapixel catch-all generalist body is not what I'm looking for.

However painful selling off my Canon 5D4 / 5DSr and 6 L series lenses is : I am almost ready.

PLEASE Canon if you're listening give the studio and landscape photographers a reason to stay.

Upvote 0