Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Yup. And still it will eat into the sales of all other up-price cameras on the market.
Yes, including the 1D-X MkIII.
I mean it's not like that's any news. Ever since the first 5D was released the series was cannibalising the 1D/Ds/Dx series to some degree. The price difference was way too big compared to the price difference between the analogue 1 and 3/5 series.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've seen user of all brands do it with "push-pull" zooms, a/k/a "dust pumps", which is what the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS is. The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, on the other hand, has a zoom ring.

Cool. The RF70-200 does this fine too, though gets a little leveraged near 200. Good for fast deploy or stowage.

(I assume you're using "dust-pumps" for fun - the repair experts seem to say that dues is not a particular issue with this type, and that primes get more dust.)

Upvote 0
I still think Canon is building up a rather segmented/purpose-built/targeted FF mirrorless platform. Until we see what else makes that initial structure of offerings, it's hard to know what products Canon will pit against the competition.
Agreed. It's going to be very interesting to see where the R6 will be put both in terms of specs and ergonomics. I'm worried they're doing the classic Canon thing and taking a 6D series like road but I'm hoping for a "R5 just with a lower resolution sensor" approach.

Upvote 0
okay I spit out my water at this one.

that would make this a 160MP stills camera.
160MP? A man can dream can't he? ;)

I don't know why so many seem to expect a massive crop on 8K - almost like they don't understand that the width of 8K would require at least ~40MP at a 1:1 readout.

But in all fairness, this person has made three posts including this one, and the other two are exploring the shortcomings of the 5DIV in 2016. I see a trend...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let's Talk about the SHORTCOMINGS OF THE CANON EOS R5 : ( as compared to 5D4,Panasonic S1H,A7R4,Z7 )

1. No dedicated buttons for Mode dial , button for switching between photo & video mode, ( in the 360 render of the R5 camera cannot locate either a dedicated ISO button or AF drive button ). It has less buttons overall as compared to 5D4. Thumbs down :(

2. Megapixels : R5 will possibly have 40 megapixels (which is very less in 2020, at least 45 Mpx is a must) ...Nikon released D850 in 2017 with 45 Mpx , now Z7 in 2019 with 46 mpx, A7r4 can do 61 mpx. Canon doesn't have the DR of the Sony's & Nikons. So R5 lags behind the competition in photo specs.

3. Possibly the R5 will not have 10 bit internal video like S1H , or record externally 10 bit like Nikon z7, z6. S1H leads in video specs hands down.So R5 lags in video specs as well.

4. Possibly No anamorphic lens support like S1H. R5 lags

5. S1H can do dual ISO for cleaner video at higher ISO. R5 lags here too.

6. S1H is NETFLIX approved & imho R5 won't have those specs for NETFLIX approval. R5 lags.

6. can't do ISO 32 & ISO 64 like the Nikon Z7 when you want shallower depth of field in bright light.

7. Canon has not talked about the battery life..in all probability it will take fewer shots per battery charge as compared to Canon 5D4.

8. so the ONLY saving grace that Canon marketing found for this camera was that to give it 8K !!! :)))
if you take out the 8K from the equation what does R5 have that the competition doesn't already offer???

Further, imho that 8K will come with at least a 2x crop & 8 bit 4.2.0 codec. So basically that will be a gimmick ...not for Pro's. Not sure whether the 4K will be with crop of Full frame either. Also possibly no live AF tracking in 4K or 8K modes. Canon has NOT revealed anything on the codecs. is it 8bit? or 10 bit? or has 12bit Raw like C200. Internal 10 bit in 4K is a must in 2020. what about RAW video codec ?? it doesn't seem to have. RAW lite a must for video in 2020.

Canon is solidly lagging behind the competition by at least 2 years in Mirrorless...it is releasing cameras with specs which the competition already released in 2017 on wards.

So do u think R5 is the ONE which will destroy the competition in 2020 ???

You sure put a lot of effort in trying to paint a demeaning picture of a camera that doesn't have the specs released yet. Unfortunately the vast majority of it sounds ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Doubtful. Certainly not me—I have no use for lens hoods.

Questar telescope(s)
1982 Questar Duplex, BB; Zerodur, bought new, factory rebuilt prior to the 2017 solar eclipse.

Amen, fellow Questar enthusiast. Every hood of mine stays in the original box with the sealed manual, warranty docs, and strap, and is never deployed. I invest in good lenses with good coatings, and pay to much of a premium for convenient and compact forms to throw away the benefits with a hood that I associate with amateurs trying to make their lenses look more pro. Reminds me of those engagement ring settings with the circle of little diamond chips to "fool" people into thinking the main diamond is much larger.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let's Talk about the SHORTCOMINGS OF THE CANON EOS R5 : ( as compared to 5D4,Panasonic S1H,A7R4,Z7 )

1. No dedicated buttons for Mode dial , button for switching between photo & video mode, ( in the 360 render of the R5 camera cannot locate either a dedicated ISO button or AF drive button ). It has less buttons overall as compared to 5D4. Thumbs down :(

2. Megapixels : R5 will possibly have 40 megapixels (which is very less in 2020, at least 45 Mpx is a must) ...Nikon released D850 in 2017 with 45 Mpx , now Z7 in 2019 with 46 mpx, A7r4 can do 61 mpx. Canon doesn't have the DR of the Sony's & Nikons. So R5 lags behind the competition in photo specs.

3. Possibly the R5 will not have 10 bit internal video like S1H , or record externally 10 bit like Nikon z7, z6. S1H leads in video specs hands down.So R5 lags in video specs as well.

6. S1H is NETFLIX approved & imho R5 won't have those specs for NETFLIX approval. R5 lags.

6. can't do ISO 32 & ISO 64 like the Nikon Z7 when you want shallower depth of field in bright light.

7. Canon has not talked about the battery life..in all probability it will take fewer shots per battery charge as compared to Canon 5D4.

8. so the ONLY saving grace that Canon marketing found for this camera was that to give it 8K !!! :)))
if you take out the 8K from the equation what does R5 have that the competition doesn't already offer???

Further, imho that 8K will come with at least a 2x crop & 8 bit 4.2.0 codec. So basically that will be a gimmick ...not for Pro's. Not sure whether the 4K will be with crop of Full frame either. Also possibly no live AF tracking in 4K or 8K modes. Canon has NOT revealed anything on the codecs. is it 8bit? or 10 bit? or has 12bit Raw like C200. Internal 10 bit in 4K is a must in 2020. what about RAW video codec ?? it doesn't seem to have. RAW lite a must for video in 2020.

Canon is solidly lagging behind the competition by at least 2 years in Mirrorless...it is releasing cameras with specs which the competition already released in 2017 on wards.

Just another jealous Canon-envy post...

Upvote 0
I havent ready all the comments but I beleive a THANK YOU is in order to the CR Guy for getting these rumors right well before they are announced! The quality of speculation delivered on this site is notably accurate most of the time! Awesome to have a site that you can rely on!
I agree! And although this is my #1 favorite site - although not for the rumors but for the technical conversations and the fantastic pictures of some members - I was one that did not believe it and implied it a BS rumor for clicks.

So I apologize and i congratulate him at the same time!

Upvote 0
Yup. And still it will eat into the sales of all other up-price cameras on the market.
Yes, including the 1D-X MkIII.

I seriously wonder whether Canon would be bothered if some of the pros switched to a R5. Many will buy the R1 regardless, but if some shift to a lighter form Canon might not care if they are keeping Nikon and Sony away from the pro customers. Devouring the competition while shuffling some customers internally between product lines is a pretty good goal.

The R5 is for customers (or at least for me) who didn't go Sony in part because they couldn't decide between the A7 and A9 (among a few other reasons related to ergonomics).

Upvote 0
Agreed, except I wish they would let me limit the close up focal range in firmware because 3/4 of the focus range of the RF 35 is closer than a foot and that makes focusing closer and noisier.

Maybe this will be one of the areas where AI and "machine learning" and all that stuff will come into play, it shouldn't be too hard for it to work out if you're photographing flowers, insects or food etc and require the full close up range while landscapes etc it will automatically shift it.

Upvote 0
Let's speculate on the price. Canon was never too shy to overprice new products a little. But this phenomenal monster must cost a lot more than any non-existing competitors.
So, $4500-5000?

If it's THAT much, than Canon darn well better come up some a good trade in program vis-à-vis Apple.

I've got a 5D Mark IV and a few lenses that I'm going to have to figure out work in the plan of financing the R5 and new lenses for the platform.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumor Guy I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you release more info on the EOS R6 that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
If it's THAT much, than Canon darn well better come up some a good trade in program vis-à-vis Apple.

I've got a 5D Mark IV and a few lenses that I'm going to have to figure out work in the plan of financing the R5 and new lenses for the platform.
If a lens is good enough for the 5D IV I'm pretty confident it will be dcecent enough for the R5 as well so lenses shouldn't be your main concern imo.

Also in terms of trade in program: Not happening. There's an actual market for anything Apple take back and due to sheer product volumes better and cheaper standardised refurbishing processes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They would make money at least from me. I would upgrade my 5DIV to 5DV and EOS R to EOS R5. In fact I could upgrade both my 5DIV and one of my two 5DsRs to 5DV (I would sacrifice 5Mpixels out of 50 for increased IQ in both shadows and high ISO, more fps and bigger buffer). But that's me. I cannot know about everyone else.

I want to see what a 5D5 would look like as well. As intriguing as the mirrorless technology is, the DSLR is still mature and dependable at this point. At this point I would still choose a similarly configured 5D5 over an R5, especially with this seemingly emerging trend of f7.1 RF lenses.

Upvote 0
Amen, fellow Questar enthusiast. Every hood of mine stays in the original box with the sealed manual, warranty docs, and strap, and is never deployed. I invest in good lenses with good coatings, and pay to much of a premium for convenient and compact forms to throw away the benefits with a hood that I associate with amateurs trying to make their lenses look more pro. Reminds me of those engagement ring settings with the circle of little diamond chips to "fool" people into thinking the main diamond is much larger.
You are a well informed photographer, I gather that. So I was wondering when you posted about hoods, what are your thoughts on dealing with unwanted flare and decreased contrast? I would love if hoods were unnecessary but they also add protection which is a huge benefit in certain situations and in unfortunate accidents. I have definite and specific uses for certain lenses where I never use a hood but for more general use with the rest of my glass I usually do.
Love to hear your thoughts.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Who told you that it will be 40Mpixels and not 45? "will possibly" is a way to state a fact? TROLL ALERT!
ALL mirrorless cameras take fewer shots per battery charge. You compare apples with oranges! TROLL ALERT!
Panasonic has 24mp and you complain against the possibility that canon has 40! TROLL ALERT!
Panasonic takes Approx. 400 Shots so less then 5DmKiv (Which is a very good number but still it is a mirrorless camera so the difference) TROLL ALERT!
And last: Possibly, possibly, possibly: TROLL ALERT!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0