Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Let's Talk about the SHORTCOMINGS OF THE CANON EOS R5 : ( as compared to 5D4,Panasonic S1H,A7R4,Z7 )

Further, imho that 8K will come with at least a 2x crop & 8 bit 4.2.0 codec.

It takes a 40MP+ 3:2 sensor to make 8K at 16:9... How in the hell can you 2x CROP a 45MP sensor and still get 8K?! Answer. You Can't.

Thanks for playing Troll Trivia....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I see a lot of quite wildly different expectations about price. I think two things are worth bearing in mind:

1) Canon tends to think and plan as a whole - so it will likely have to "fit in" to some scheme - if there is am R6 soon for example that allows Canon to keep the R5 higher price and spec.

2) The market these days is more volatile and technology hype drives things. Add in that this is a new mount that Canon is going to want to recoup R&D and I suspect two things follow - it will be very expensive on launch - bloggers, youtube unboxers and let's be honest those of us with GAS who despite all the evidence believe better cameras will improve our photography! - will buy it without quibbling too much on price. Canon would be mad to not milk that cash cow.

Secondly, Canon will rapidly bring it into line with competitor pricing. Sony has been aggressive with pricing its products, keeps older ones available as budget options (a tactic learned from smartphone makers) and just relentlessly keeps bringing down prices on cameras to entice customers. I expect you'll see Canon do likewise, it might start out higher but Canon won't have a situation persist long where it is being undercut substantially by Sony's A7R IV. Just look at the L lenses in RF mount, unquestionably expensive on introduction but already many of them are down to similar prices or just slightly higher than the Sony GM equivalents. A little patience will likely be rewarded with this new camera I think!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've never shot on a camera with any sort of "tilty-flippy" screen before...articulating or otherwise.

I shoot stills and video with my trusty 5D3......and never knew I was missing anything.

Can you tell me the use cases for a tilty-flippy screen that I've been missing?

TIA,

cayenne
Don't know any! It is nice though to turn it back for protection when you put your camera in the bag :D

Upvote 0
I think it will be interesting to see how they price this in comparison to the 5DV. Do they bring it in at under the 5DV to lure more people into the R system or do they price it above the 5DV to take advantage of pent up demand and maybe also boost flagging DSLR sales? Or, do they price them exactly the same and let the market sort out which is in more demand?

I would not be surprised to see a simultaneous release of both bodies.

Upvote 0
I was hoping they would have a delivery date and a little more specs listed. I have a trip to Japan scheduled for the end of May and was wishfully hoping they were going to announce it with April delivery date or something. *sigh*. Guess my 5D Mark III will be my camera for that trip and I will likely get this later in the Fall.

Upvote 0
Looks like I amcoming late to the party ... 23 pages already.

Sounds all extremely positive!

BUT: When do we get to know what the other 5 RF lenses will be?
Does the non-existing info mean we can put a wish list and Canon builds what we want .... ;-) ....

Here is my wish list:
- RF 14-28 f/2
- RF 24 f/1.2
- RF 135 f/1.8

Upvote 0
Cool. The RF70-200 does this fine too, though gets a little leveraged near 200. Good for fast deploy or stowage.

(I assume you're using "dust-pumps" for fun - the repair experts seem to say that dues is not a particular issue with this type, and that primes get more dust.)

I seem to recall the old 100-400L (I) actually did dust-pump, but Uncle Rog at LensRentals doesn't believe modern external zoomers are a problem.

(pan down to his two responses)

- A

Upvote 0
Don't know any! It is nice though to turn it back for protection when you put your camera in the bag :D
There's tons. I regularly find myself using the app to figure out composition when I have my 5DIV on a tripod in very low or high or leaning over a railing positions and I hate it cause it's really slow and just an overall terrible experience. And I'd say a tilty-flippy screen would help in about 60-80 percent of these situations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You are a well informed photographer, I gather that. So I was wondering when you posted about hoods, what are your thoughts on dealing with unwanted flare and decreased contrast? I would love if hoods were unnecessary but they also add protection which is a huge benefit in certain situations and in unfortunate accidents. I have definite and specific uses for certain lenses where I never use a hood but for more general use with the rest of my glass I usually do.
Love to hear your thoughts.

Good points. If I'm on the sidelines with a big white, I'd leave the hood on for equipment protection (even injury reduction), and more so on a sunny afternoon. But for non-teles the scenarios in which a hood makes a difference are rare, and I'd lose more shots by adding clumsiness than by diminishing contrast.

The RF 70-200 at a soccer game is probably not going to get a hood unless I know I'm unable to locate myself favorably on a sunny day.

I certainly don't cut the petals off an ultrawide! ;-)

Contrast loss can be significantly addressed in post processing.

Everything's a compromise.

My favorite cringe is for the guy who has his hood on backward while shooting.

Upvote 0
Who told you that it will be 40Mpixels and not 45? "will possibly" is a way to stay a fact? TROLL ALERT!
ALL mirrorless cameras take fewer shots per battery charge. You compare apples with oranges! TROLL ALERT!
Panasonic has 24mp and you complain against the possibility that canon has 40! TROLL ALERT!
Panasonic takes Approx. 400 Shots so less then 5DmKiv (Which is a very good number but still it is a mirrorless camera so the difference) TROLL ALERT!
And last: Possibly, possibly, possibly: TROLL ALERT!

Thx man -- I wasn't sure. I thought we were in trouble for a minute there. ;)

- A

• Haha
Upvote 0
I've never shot on a camera with any sort of "tilty-flippy" screen before...articulating or otherwise.

I shoot stills and video with my trusty 5D3......and never knew I was missing anything.

TIA,

cayenne
I find it very handy for shooting above the crowd. For example, when I want a different angle on the coach talking to his players during a time out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I see a lot of quite wildly different expectations about price. I think two things are worth bearing in mind:

1) Canon tends to think and plan as a whole - so it will likely have to "fit in" to some scheme - if there is am R6 soon for example that allows Canon to keep the R5 higher price and spec.

2) The market these days is more volatile and technology hype drives things. Add in that this is a new mount that Canon is going to want to recoup R&D and I suspect two things follow - it will be very expensive on launch - bloggers, youtube unboxers and let's be honest those of us with GAS who despite all the evidence believe better cameras will improve our photography! - will buy it without quibbling too much on price. Canon would be mad to not milk that cash cow.

Secondly, Canon will rapidly bring it into line with competitor pricing. Sony has been aggressive with pricing its products, keeps older ones available as budget options (a tactic learned from smartphone makers) and just relentlessly keeps bringing down prices on cameras to entice customers. I expect you'll see Canon do likewise, it might start out higher but Canon won't have a situation persist long where it is being undercut substantially by Sony's A7R IV. Just look at the L lenses in RF mount, unquestionably expensive on introduction but already many of them are down to similar prices or just slightly higher than the Sony GM equivalents. A little patience will likely be rewarded with this new camera I think!

I haven't seen any guesses under $3000, nor many over $4000.

My hope is $4999 with 24-70 f2.8, which I'm deferring for that reason.

Upvote 0

TIA,

cayenne
Low angle. High angle. Macro.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
You are a well informed photographer, I gather that. So I was wondering when you posted about hoods, what are your thoughts on dealing with unwanted flare and decreased contrast? I would love if hoods were unnecessary but they also add protection which is a huge benefit in certain situations and in unfortunate accidents. I have definite and specific uses for certain lenses where I never use a hood but for more general use with the rest of my glass I usually do.
Love to hear your thoughts.
Different user responding but do a lot of shooting and have to determine which times I take the hood off and when I leave it on. I will leave it on when shooting in high contrast situations (mid-day waves) or low sun angle situations that might induce flare (near direct sun angle in morning or evening). I find them useful especially on my 70-200 and 100-400 in these situations. My wider lenses I typically don't leave the hood on or take it with me as they don't tend to help much.

I have also been fortunate that in at least one situation the hood took the brunt of a whack on the ground when I was scrambling up a hill and slipped. Glad it was on at it saved the front element on some rocky ground!

Upvote 0

TIA,

cayenne
Low angle and high angle are the desired use cases for me. I have an XT3 (sacrilege!) for travel and love the tilt ability. It is not fully articulating which I wish it were. Very hard to compose, focus, etc. on a very low angle (inches off the ground) without a tilt screen at a minimum.

A fully articulating screen that can be flipped upside down would be great as well as it is nice to be able to mount your camera upside down on a tripod extension arm for easier low angle and flipping the screen would allow you to compose without the image being upside down!

Upvote 0