Canon Celebrates 17th Consecutive Year as Number One Shareholder of Global Interchangeable-Lens Digital Camera Market

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My Sony TV in the living room is a 46" model bought in 2009. It works as well as ever. The Sony Blu-Ray player works well most of the time, but has peculiar glitches occasionally with commercial DVDs, probably some sort of software mismatch. But it works a lot better than the Samsung it replaced.

Does that DVD player still have the annoying "feature" where it goes into standby when you turn it on, so you have to hit the power button twice?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I haven't run into that one yet.

Between that (which was a minor annoyance, but struck me as really stupid design) and the portable Sony CD player that would reset itself to FULL BLAST!!!!!! (earsplitting over headphones) volume whenever you shut it off and then started it again (and this was even if you had it on a charger the whole time so you can't blame settings going bye bye with no power)...I swore I'd never buy another Sony product again until they fired their whole human factors team.

From the comments I hear about their camera ergos, I see they still haven't done so.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Sony makes some great products, and some dogs. So does everyone else. It’s not a point to be debated. Their mirrorless cameras are pretty good, for the most part, but they have their problems that Sony hasn’t fixed yet. Ergonomics is a weak point. It took them a long time to get a decent lens lineup, and if it weren’t for Zeiss standing up with their own excellent lens line, Sony would have had little of value for years after Zeiss filled it out for them. And I’m not talking about the Sony branded Zeiss lenses either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"for 17 consecutive years 1 from 2003 to 2019."

footnote 1 reads: "According to Canon Survey". Maybe I am blind, but I cannot find any further information on their website/s.

So I ask myself whom did they survey? Select CR forum members only? ;-)

Canon's sweeping claim would be much more credible if they'd back it up with underlying data/numbers, along with sources/links and transparent information what exactly they are looking at: units (shipped? sold?) or revenue (at factory prices? at retail prices?) etc.

Failure to do so for 17 consecutive years brings me to the conclusion that underlying hard data may not nearly hold as much reason for celebration as Canon wants to believe.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
"for 17 consecutive years 1 from 2003 to 2019."

footnote 1 reads: "According to Canon Survey". Maybe I am blind, but I cannot find any further information on their website/s.

So I ask myself whom did they survey? Select CR forum members only? ;-)

Canon's sweeping claim would be much more credible if they'd back it up with underlying data/numbers, along with sources/links and transparent information what exactly they are looking at: units (shipped? sold?) or revenue (at factory prices? at retail prices?) etc.

Failure to do so for 17 consecutive years brings me to the conclusion that underlying hard data may not nearly hold as much reason for celebration as Canon wants to believe.

+++++Failure to do so for 17 consecutive years brings me to the conclusion that underlying hard data may not nearly hold as much reason for celebration as Canon wants to believe....

Do you also believe that the Earth is flat? :)

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
My Sony TV in the living room is a 46" model bought in 2009. It works as well as ever. The Sony Blu-Ray player works well most of the time, but has peculiar glitches occasionally with commercial DVDs, probably some sort of software mismatch. But it works a lot better than the Samsung it replaced.

Last Sony I had a couple years ago had brilliant picture quality, but broke within 9 months. The rma process Was terrible. they tried to give me a downgrade replacement model, and when I refused, it took a total of 3 months before they collected it and returned my money.

The tv was brilliant. Sony support was beyond bad. Such a frustrating experience. And this was a big, expensive tv that cost as much as their cameras.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Last Sony I had a couple years ago had brilliant picture quality, but broke within 9 months. The rma process Was terrible. they tried to give me a downgrade replacement model, and when I refused, it took a total of 3 months before they collected it and returned my money.

The tv was brilliant. Sony support was beyond bad. Such a frustrating experience. And this was a big, expensive tv that cost as much as their cameras.
I had heard of some bad experiences with their TVs. So to reduce the crapshoot element, I bought a service contract from Best Buy. I was in the store one day looking at TVs and had a nice chat with the salesman. I really liked this model, but it cost more than I wanted to spend in those days. So I just about settled on a lesser model. I told the salesman I'd think about it and check back later. I had just retired and moved to this house, so I needed a fair number of things. I wandered over to look at washers and dryers before I left. The salesman came running over and said that he was setting up a display and had just unboxed a TV like the better one I had considered. So now if I still wanted it, he could sell that one to me at the open-box price. However much of that may or may not have been true, I got the TV I wanted, fresh out of the box, for a lot less money. I also replaced my receiver, since my living room was wired for surround sound, so I had it all delivered together and they set it all up. The 46" set just fits in the area of the built-in shelving to the right of the fireplace. If I ever got a bigger TV, I'm not sure where I'd put it. That size is not bad from my viewing distance, and the set doesn't overwhelm the room, which is my preference. The giant windows facing the woods is its main feature. The TV picture still looks fine after I've seen 4K OLED sets, so no interest in something new. There are days that I don't even turn the TV on.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I had heard of some bad experiences with their TVs. So to reduce the crapshoot element, I bought a service contract from Best Buy. I was in the store one day looking at TVs and had a nice chat with the salesman. I really liked this model, but it cost more than I wanted to spend in those days. So I just about settled on a lesser model. I told the salesman I'd think about it and check back later. I had just retired and moved to this house, so I needed a fair number of things. I wandered over to look at washers and dryers before I left. The salesman came running over and said that he was setting up a display and had just unboxed a TV like the better one I had considered. So now if I still wanted it, he could sell that one to me at the open-box price. However much of that may or may not have been true, I got the TV I wanted, fresh out of the box, for a lot less money. I also replaced my receiver, since my living room was wired for surround sound, so I had it all delivered together and they set it all up. The 46" set just fits in the area of the built-in shelving to the right of the fireplace. If I ever got a bigger TV, I'm not sure where I'd put it. That size is not bad from my viewing distance, and the set doesn't overwhelm the room, which is my preference. The giant windows facing the woods is its main feature. The TV picture still looks fine after I've seen 4K OLED sets, so no interest in something new. There are days that I don't even turn the TV on.
Giant windows facing the woods is a trade off I’d happily make as well!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Giant windows facing the woods is a trade off I’d happily make as well!
And the dogwoods are starting to bloom.

I’ve been told that I shouldn’t get an OLED set with all the light in the room. I have a Samsung plasma in the bedroom, and moving it into the living room is probably not a good option either, when the Sony quits, for the same reason.

Upvote 0