Side by side comparison of the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP

You can assign various buttons on the R for DoF. I found the location of the 5D dedicated ones way too awkward; plus, of course, the VF became too dark. So I rarely bothered. Now with the R, I use it frequently. So clear and convenient!
I don‘t use it for DoF on my 5D IV. I set it as a switch between One Shot AF and Servo AF. I just asked because it is nice to have more buttons you can use for different features. And I really like the position at the front because it‘s easy to reach with my ring finger.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I’d like it to be bigger than the R, slightly heavier too. Big heavy lenses just seem too unbalanced on the R. I’m used to the 5D series, anything smaller and lighter feels off.

It will feel fairly normal after a while. I can never go back to heavy cameras... larger for the ergonomics yes, heavier no.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
The touch screen plays a role in af point selection too of course, using the top right part of the screen to drag and drop your af point without taking your eye off the viewfinder. This would somewhat compensate the missing touch screen af on button the 1dx iii has.

However, how easy would it be to reach that screen with your thumb while holding the camera? Any thoughts from current R owners?

And I’m happy Canon gets it, the R5 looks like a very comfortable camera to hold and use

The only reason why i use the touchscreen af option is because the multi-fn bar on the R is useless and there isn't a traditional joystick. If there's a joystick, i'd ditch the touchscreen af in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I am completely against these rinky dinky cameras, not sure what appeals to you, are you hands small? A camera should fit well in your hands, the 5dIV fits perfectly, the Sony, Fuji cameras are too small, feel weird in the hands. I really hope Canon keeps their dslr ergonomics, I would be a shame to lose that. The R is small enough that its pushing the boundaries of feeling right in the hand. I'd prefer they don't break a winning design like the 5Div ergonomics.

I am completely against these fatty cameras, not sure what appeals to you, are you hands big? A camera should fit well in your hands, the RP fits perfectly, the Sony, Fuji cameras are compact and light, feel good in the hands. I really hope Canon keeps their mirrorless ergonomics, I would be a shame to lose that. The RP is big enough that its pushing the boundaries of feeling right in the hand. I'd prefer they don't break a winning design like the RP ergonomics.

;)

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
The only reason why i use the touchscreen af option is because the multi-fn bar on the R is useless and there isn't a traditional joystick. If there's a joystick, i'd ditch the touchscreen af in a heartbeat.

but isn't a joystick a limited and too slow tool in a place where AF points could be placed anywhere on the screen, and mirrorless cams could have literally thousands of them?

Upvote 0
but isn't a joystick a limited and too slow tool in a place where AF points could be placed anywhere on the screen, and mirrorless cams could have literally thousands of them?
Maybe the joystick could be setup so that a long press makes the AF point move faster? Would be nice to have the 1dx iii AF on button though

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Maybe the joystick could be setup so that a long press makes the AF point move faster? Would be nice to have the 1dx iii AF on button though

Yeah that would've been great. I've been thinking that I also wouldn't mind if you'd have the option to just see 9 or 15 focus points, maybe a bit more spread out, which you could select with the controller. Could make it a bit easier to switch points. From there on, once selected a point, it's easy to pick up a target and track it in the frame

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah that would've been great. I've been thinking that I also wouldn't mind if you'd have the option to just see 9 or 15 focus points, maybe a bit more spread out, which you could select with the controller. Could make it a bit easier to switch points. From there on, once selected a point, it's easy to pick up a target and track it in the frame
Since we're talking about how to move focus to a particular position, I'd like to mention that the way I'd want to select focus, while handholding, is to have a highlight cross in the center of the screen, I'd then adjust the camera direction so what I want to focus on is in the cross, hit a "focus here & tracking" button, reframe the picture how I want, and the camera tracks the object I wanted it to, adjusting focus on it as needed, and then I'd take the picture. That's the only way I can see it being fast, easy, & accurate. But that needs a good focus tracking ability on the camera. Does the current R or RP have this ability? I certainly hope the R5 will (oh, please!)

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020

I think it really depends on how you prefer to operate your camera and your subject matter. I'm a street photographer mostly - what I do is i use the eye tracking mode with the focus point set to the centre of the frame, acquire the eyes/face of my subject and recompose. I rarely need to manually adjust my AF point, but when I do, i want the control of the AF point to be more accurate and methodical than fast, which is what the joystick would let me do.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Since we're talking about how to move focus to a particular position, I'd like to mention that the way I'd want to select focus is to have a highlight cross in the center of the screen, I'd then adjust the camera direction so what I want to focus on is in the cross, hit a "focus here & tracking" button, reframe the picture how I want, and the camera tracks the object I wanted it to, adjusting focus on it as needed, and then I'd take the picture. That's the only way I can see it being fast, easy, & accurate. But that needs a good focus tracking ability on the camera. Does the current R or RP have this ability? I certainly hope the R5 will (oh, please!)

oh hey u replied 2 seconds before i did!

But yes, the R actually tracks people very well. I've been using that function for quite a while and it's highly reliable.

• Love
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
oh hey u replied 2 seconds before i did!

But yes, the R actually tracks people very well. I've been using that function for quite a while and it's highly reliable.
I'm SO glad this works well. Thanks for your posts.

Sooooo, I guess the only thing to ask about (for you & me that like this method) is: how best to adjust focus when the camera is on a tripod? I assume the fully articulating screen is adjusted for the best view and you use your index finger to select the spot (hopefully with fine positioning resolution) which the camera can use to track focus on that object. Maybe you also have an option to move finger to position focus point, a quick finger tap (or other hand pressing shutter button) to track & and take the picture immediately, with optional timer delay of a second or so to reduce vibration? It'd be really nice if the optional "remote shutter release" had a touchpad so you could do it remotely (wired or wireless) so you could see the screen focus position updated without your finger blocking the view (as well as eliminating vibration). I guess the remote operation could be on a cellphone app if the cellphone app was 100% reliable (which I've never found to be so far).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020

Sooooo, I guess the only thing to ask about (for you & me that like this method) is: how best to adjust focus when the camera is on a tripod? I assume the fully articulating screen is adjusted for the best view and you use your index finger to select the spot (hopefully with fine positioning resolution) which the camera can use to track focus on that object. Maybe you also have an option to move finger to position focus point, a quick finger tap (or other hand pressing shutter button) to track & and take the picture immediately, with optional timer delay of a second or so to reduce vibration? It'd be really nice if the optional "remote shutter release" had a touchpad so you could do it remotely (wired or wireless) so you could see the screen focus position updated without your finger blocking the view (as well as eliminating vibration). I guess the remote operation could be on a cellphone app if the cellphone app was 100% reliable (which I've never found to be so far).

I rarely use a tripod unfortunately. for my style of photography i generally just run and gun. However, I can see myself using the fully articulating screen to tilt at the correct angle for the best view.

If you're not using the EVF, the camera will allow u to tap and focus. If you're using the 'eye/face tracking' mode, tapping on someone's face will normally result in the camera tracking that particular face (or their eyes if they're close enough and the camera can spot them). If in the rare occasion that the camera couldn't find the subject I want it to focus on (perhaps the subject was too small, or in the current situation, wearing a mask), I would drag and drop the focus point on the subject using the LCD screen. That normally does the trick.

I can't comment on the remote shutter release gadget since I don't have it. I have had limited experience with the Canon smartphone app, but I can say that it performs decently enough if you REALLY need to remotely capture a photo and there's no one else to help you. I wouldn't recommend it though ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have found the touchbar = more buttons. I use mine to turn the level on/off and for magnify on/off. What it's useless for is changing exposure/ISO/and fstop. There may be other things that it isn't suited for, but for just turning things on/off it is great. BTW: You got yours for a great price. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

On tripod, the touch screen. BTW: eye-AF handheld works great for me even in low light. Example: I take my grandson to a trampoline park called Urban Air. The lighting is terrible dark. Eye-AF picks up his little 3 year old eye from 30 feet away.

• Wow
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
On tripod, the touch screen. BTW: eye-AF handheld works great for me even in low light. Example: I take my grandson to a trampoline park called Urban Air. The lighting is terrible dark. Eye-AF picks up his little 3 year old eye from 30 feet away.

Wow... that sounds great that eye-AF works so well in low light. I have used an EOS R on a number of occasions - mostly during the day and in good light, though I also used it a few times in the dark. I was quite impressed at its ability to focus in low light. but I never did continuous (servo) AF or eye-AF in low light

So, thanks CFB for sharing your experience with that, which is very encouraging / promising to read of - that eye-AF performs so well, both locking focus and following in really low light. As I also have a 3 year old, they usually don't sit still for very long (unless they've got a screen-based activity they're focused on... lol).

PJ

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wow... that sounds great that eye-AF works so well in low light. I have used an EOS R on a number of occasions - mostly during the day and in good light, though I also used it a few times in the dark. I was quite impressed at its ability to focus in low light. but I never did continuous (servo) AF or eye-AF in low light

So, thanks CFB for sharing your experience with that, which is very encouraging / promising to read of - that eye-AF performs so well, both locking focus and following in really low light. As I also have a 3 year old, they usually don't sit still for very long (unless they've got a screen-based activity they're focused on... lol).

PJ
Two and three year olds are the ultimate challenge. ;)

Upvote 0