This is just a Sunday reminder of the Canon EOS R5 specifications

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
We both share the trust that the R5 will not disappoint. However, I do think that the marketeers@Canon are playing a game by not communicating the full specs at this time. These are fixed by now, they must be. I suspect that they are holding that information back in order to steal Sony’s thunder after the Sony A7x announcement. My point is that I regret this approach and I think such behavior is detrimental to the perception of Canon’s brand. As I look at it, it portrays Canon as a company that plays marketing games instead of a company that cares about customers who consider an investment. Sorry to hear that you do not agree with this but that’s fine. And yes, this forum may be a more vocal segment of the market but isn’t that is what forums are for? As a product manager / product marketing manager at Canon, I would monitor this forum closely :), hence this post. Grtz!

If only there were some sort of ongoing global disruption of supply chains, business operations, and scheduled events/tradeshows that would explain the rollout hiccups.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Happy MONDAY!!!

In case you forgot, le't start of the day by reminding everyone of the Canon EOS R5 specifications:
Canon EOS R5 Specifications:

• 44.7/45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
  • 5-axis in-body stabilization
    • 5 stops with IBIS alone
    • 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization
  • 12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
  • 4K @ 120fps
  • 4K @ 60fps
  • Built-in 5GHz WiFi
  • 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
  • 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
  • 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
  • No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
  • Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
  • A Canon first, the EOS R5 will feature 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
  • Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.
  • New battery, but the same shape and compatibility with the EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Launching in July 2020

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Still basically 2 months from any clarity--since it's 1 June and 31 July would still be "July" but only one day shy of two months from now.

And that's assuming this mere rumor actually pans out. It could be totally bogus and we get to wait even longer. Of course, it could be wrong in the other direction and we get a surprise! announcement tomorrow. (Though those of us in North America will get an 18 hour or so forewarning as it's announced in Australia on what is, to us, the day before the intended date.)

Upvote 0
Note: From the SD association website. The new SD express 8.0 cards will be able to be used in the SD UHS II slot.
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/bus_interface/index.html

Who's going to be silly enough to spend the premium on SD8 cards (if and when they're released) just to put them in a UHS-II slot? You'll get a nice boost reading the data on to your PC, but thats about it.

UHS-II cards were expensive enough last I looked. Not to mention, CFExpress.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Upvote 0
I'm trying very hard not to be interested in this camera but that 4K120FPS sounds pretty tasty. I don't believe everything needs to be shot in super slow motion but there are many times where 60FPS hasn't been slow enough for my taste. I still think it will cost $3999.00....4K120FPS is not worth that to me.

Now if the R6 has 4K 120FPS that would be a no brainer.

Blackmagic can do 2.6K/120FPS so the Canon R6 will have to do better than FHD, IMO

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Blackmagic can do 2.6K/120FPS so the Canon R6 will have to do better than FHD, IMO

I think it will come down to how new is the new Canon? If this is the Canon we all know they will not add 4K120FPS to protect R5 sales or due to hardware limitations. Also, even the 1DXIII does not do 4K120 and if this is a reused 1DXIII sensor it could mean that they cannot control the heat or provide enough processing power for this sensor to meet that spec.

I don't think the Blackmagic is a good reference point because it has terrible autofocus, worse color science, and most importantly worse weather sealing (if any). Weather sealing in such a small camera body is what can cause it to overheat when doing something like 4K120FPS. Even the S1H which in my opinion is the current holy grail of mirrorless video does not do 4K120 and it has a cooling fan. I would take 4K60FPS and perfect AF for gimbal work any day over 2.6K 120FPS and no AF. I've been using manual focus and following all of the gimbal rules for manual focus for years....you end up throwing away a lot of footage.

This is why this spec in the R5 to me is a bigger deal than the 8K.

Upvote 0
Good question.

I'd predict no at 20fps and yes at 12fps.

It's helpful to look at what the 1DXiii is capable of video-wise as this is probably the bigger bottleneck in terms of card data writing:
5.5k 12-bit raw @ 60fps. The frame is 5472*2286 -> 1073MB/s

Canon hasn't confirmed the bit depth of the R5 raw video - we just know it's 8kDCI (8192x4320) and 29.97fps. Let's look at how many pixels/second each camera is pushing in raw video at their highest frame rates:
1DXiii: 750,539,520 pixels/s
R5: 1,060,621,516.8 pixels/s

So, the R5 is pushing 41% more pixels in raw video over the same CFexpress interface at its peak frame rate compared to the 1DXiii at its peak frame rate, so I'd guess Canon will be nerfing the bit depth a bit compared to the 1DXiii. At 8bits, the data rates at the highest frame rates are very close (So, I'd predict the R5 has 8 bit raw video, at least at it's highest frame rate. At 23.98 fps it could conceivably fit in the 1GB/s envelope at 10 bit although I kind of doubt that Canon would go to that sort of trouble)

Now onto images:
raw image files will be a full 8192x5262 (3:2) pixels.
If those are 14bit, 20fps yields a data rate of 1494 MB/s - a bit higher than the data rates we see in the 1DXiii and enough so that I doubt the CFexpress interface could keep up (especially not with cards that are available today). At 12fps, the data rate drops down to 896 MB/s which is in the envelope of what the 1DXiii can manage.

So with mechanical shutter you're probably never going to fill the buffer. With electronic shutter, you'll start off with a 20fps burst and then drop to 14 fps or so once the buffer is saturated - which is still pretty respectable.

If you want to shoot this way, you should probably be saving up for CFexpress cards as much as you're saving up for the camera.

Also - this totally ignores the UHS-II SD card which is much slower.
So it was June now July. Most of the world is experiencing delays in product stock arrivals due to COVID-19 so delaying the price and formal spec announcements because of slipping shipping dates doesn't cut it. There's no reason the announcements couldn't be in June with a rider that due to COVID-19 there will be delays in shipping dates. People would understand that, but to leave them hanging will backfire because it will rapidly go from being hardware whetting their appetite to becoming vapourware that appears be just be a tease. The rate things are going, unless Sigma release their brilliant 70-200 f2.8 Sports lens with a RF mount, I doubt I will be jumping to a R body, especially after this drawn out R5 and R6 announcement, even moreso because most of the gossip seems to revolve around video specs *yawn*. Canon should be better at planning than this.
Couldn't agree more. So frustrated at Canon, right now.

• Haha
Upvote 0
has it changed from the rumor that it will be big anouncements in June? Is there a new rumor of july instead of june or are we talking actual time for it to hit the chelfs? -Rassmus
[/QUOTE

It looks like July, however, there is no reason to keep customers waiting on an announcement. Ship it in August, if it's as good as it sounds, people will buy it. Canon doesn't get it. A sign of a good company is that their customers don't look over the shoulders to see what Nikon or Sony are doing? The customer has confidence this company is solid and no need to look elsewhere. In the past two months I've looked over the shoulder of Canon NUMEROUS times.

Upvote 0
I think it will come down to how new is the new Canon? If this is the Canon we all know they will not add 4K120FPS to protect R5 sales or due to hardware limitations. Also, even the 1DXIII does not do 4K120 and if this is a reused 1DXIII sensor it could mean that they cannot control the heat or provide enough processing power for this sensor to meet that spec.

I don't think the Blackmagic is a good reference point because it has terrible autofocus, worse color science, and most importantly worse weather sealing (if any). Weather sealing in such a small camera body is what can cause it to overheat when doing something like 4K120FPS. Even the S1H which in my opinion is the current holy grail of mirrorless video does not do 4K120 and it has a cooling fan. I would take 4K60FPS and perfect AF for gimbal work any day over 2.6K 120FPS and no AF. I've been using manual focus and following all of the gimbal rules for manual focus for years....you end up throwing away a lot of footage.

This is why this spec in the R5 to me is a bigger deal than the 8K.

All valid points except Blackmagic is known for their color science. It's fantastic, as is their BRAW codec.

Upvote 0