Here are more specifications for the Canon EOS R6

1DXiii sensor and shutter rated to 500,000?! I might have to rethink my disappointment at $2499. If I am shooting events again after Covid is under control I might just be in the market for a pair of R6's.

It will undoubtedly be $100-200 cheaper by the end of next year with some fresh firmware ready to go as well.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
1DXiii sensor and shutter rated to 300,000? I might have to rethink some of my disappointment at $2499. If I am shooting events again after Covid is under control I might just be in the market for a pair of R6's.
500 000 for the R5 but only 300 00 for the R6. the word ONLY being used loosely because that is still huge

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I think you need to understand the difference between a cripple hammer and a poor decision based on logical thoughts. It was a camera aimed at people who have no idea of how to do video and therefore had the frame rate that most people would use. They were probably thinking that if someone knows enough to want the 'cinematic look'(whatever that is) that they would probably want a decent video camera anyway and would not be looking at the super low end bits of kit. They were wrong and rectified it. That is NOT what the supposed cripple hammer is

To a user, that makes no difference - leaving features out of the FW, simply because of some ill-conceived "differentiation", will be noted as crippling by most. I mean, the meme of the Cripple Hammer is so widespread now, that Canon themselves had to go out and say "no, the R5 will record full frame 8K and use DPAF while doing it". This isn't due to some somber Sony- or Nikon-fueled conspiracy, it's because users are fed up of these stupid decisions. People bashed the original 6D and 5D2 because of their lower DR, and yet Canon went and made a new, worse 26MP sensor for its successor. The original M5 and M6 didn't do 4K, even though they most likely could do it with a crop, like on the M50, and Canon caught flak because of it. The EOS R was released with eye detection that worked only in One Shot AF mode, and Canon were rightfully laughed out of the room until they changed it. The SL3 lost physical features compared to the SL2 - what the hell is up with that?

I try to like Canon photographic products. I really do, as I like their interface, the original EF ecosystem, and how inexpensive it can be to mount a competent kit in their system. But they make it so damn hard. The competition, up until this point, has offered so much more for the same cost in camera bodies, that it's just a non-starter to go with a Canon body for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
To a user, that makes no difference - leaving features out of the FW, simply because of some ill-conceived "differentiation", will be noted as crippling by most. I mean, the meme of the Cripple Hammer is so widespread now, that Canon themselves had to go out and say "no, the R5 will record full frame 8K and use DPAF while doing it". This isn't due to some somber Sony- or Nikon-fueled conspiracy, it's because users are fed up of these stupid decisions. People bashed the original 6D and 5D2 because of their lower DR, and yet Canon went and made a new, worse 26MP sensor for its successor. The original M5 and M6 didn't do 4K, even though they most likely could do it with a crop, like on the M50, and Canon caught flak because of it. The EOS R was released with eye detection that worked only in One Shot AF mode, and Canon were rightfully laughed out of the room until they changed it. The SL3 lost physical features compared to the SL2 - what the hell is up with that?

I try to like Canon photographic products. I really do, as I like their interface, the original EF ecosystem, and how inexpensive it can be to mount a competent kit in their system. But they make it so damn hard. The competition, up until this point, has offered so much more for the same cost in camera bodies, that it's just a non-starter to go with a Canon body for me.
I guess I look at it as an actual user and not a spec warrior. Canons competition has up until recently offered steaming piles of barely functional Rhino s@#t(but geez they had great specs) that are uncomfortable to hold onto and would likely fail in challenging conditions(except for Nikon obviously, they have always had pretty good gear). Canon has always offered stuff that WORKS. Sonys AMAZING sensors were useless when the camera decided for no good reason to go on a bloody break. It is only in the last generation that Sony have been able to offer a decent camera body that has SOME level of comfort and seems to be reliable. I think I will stick with the company that actually cares about offering a quality product. At least, quality as I see it. In the hand and not on paper

Upvote 0
It said 1DXII sensor, not 1DXIII. Still a good sensor.
That translation posted a few posts back is incorrect. The Japan Cnet article posted by Nokishita says the R6 sensor is based on the 1DXIII. Even without translating the 1DXIII part is clear in the Japanese text.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
An immediate standout to me from this: the EOS R5 and R6 can simultaneously receive USB-C PD power and be filming at the same time. That is *awesome* and will probably make it far easier on long video shoots. Depending on the limits of that, would be nice if my USB-C PD external power bank could charge the camera on the go or even charge it during a long overnight startrail exposure. Interested to see where this goes.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
● Equipped with a full-size CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of approximately 2010 million pixels, which is customized based on the sensor equipped with "EOS-1D X Mark III". High image quality and high-speed continuous shooting are achieved by the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor, high-speed processing of the new video engine "DIGIC X", and high-performance "RF lens".
● When shooting with the electronic shutter, high-speed continuous shooting of up to about 20 frames/second is achieved with AF/AE tracking. You can shoot without worrying about the shutter sound in scenes such as facing wild animals and playing golf.
● When shooting with the mechanical shutter/electronic front curtain, high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames/sec.
● AF performance is improved as "dual pixel CMOS AF II" by high-speed signal readout of new CMOS sensor and high-speed processing of new image engine. When "Face + Tracking priority AF" is set, the distance measurement area is expanded to a maximum of approximately 100% (vertical) x maximum 100% (horizontal) of the screen. Furthermore, when shooting still images, the AF frame is automatically selected from a maximum of 1053 divided areas.
● Supports detection of human eyes, faces and heads. Compared with "EOS R", the detection performance of smaller eyes and profile is improved. In addition, it can detect the eyes, face and whole body of animals (dogs/cats/birds) to improve the capture rate of subjects.
● Achieved the EV-6.5 low-brightness focus limit for the first time in the EOS series. Achieves highly accurate focusing even in a dark environment where it is difficult for the naked eye to see the subject.
●High-speed AF of up to approximately 0.05 seconds is achieved by optimizing the drive control of "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" and "RF lens".
● Uses the AF algorithm installed in the "EOS-1D X Mark III". Comfortable shooting with "Case 1 to 4" that have been preset with "Subject tracking characteristics" and "Tracking characteristics against speed changes" according to the scene, and "Case A (Auto)" that automatically switches according to the subject Realized.
● The CMOS sensor reduces noise and the image engine improves noise reduction performance, achieving a standard ISO sensitivity of up to 102400 when shooting still images.
● Supports still image/video recording in the "HDR PQ" method based on human visual characteristics. HEIF (10bit) recording that was done with RAW development software is realized in the camera.
● "Face lighting correction" is newly added to the auto writing optimizer function during RAW development. When the contrast of the face is high, it is possible to automatically correct the brightness of the face.
● "Strength" is added to the "Digital Lens Optimizer" that corrects lens aberrations.
● Built-in high-definition electronic viewfinder (EVF) with approximately 100% field of view that employs an organic EL panel with approximately 3.69 million dots. By setting the display frame rate to "119.88fps (smoothness priority)", it is easier to chase moving objects.
●For the first time in the EOS series, a correction mechanism that moves the image sensor in response to camera shake is adopted in the body. Achieves in-body image stabilization with 5 axes: horizontal rotation axis/vertical rotation axis/rotation axis/left/right/up/down. Even with a lens that does not have an image stabilizer, you can shoot comfortably from wide-angle to telephoto, depending on the combination of camera and lens.
● The world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization is achieved by the coordinated control of the optical image stabilization mechanism on the lens side and the in-body image stabilization mechanism. Comfortable shooting is possible even in shooting environments where camera shake is likely to occur, such as telephoto shooting and handheld shooting.
●When shooting movies, in addition to the coordinated control of the camera shake correction mechanism inside the body and lens, it is also possible to use a movie electronic IS together.
● 4K/60P video is achieved by oversampling without cropping, enabling delicate video expression with reduced moire and noise that cause image quality degradation.
● Full HD/120P high frame rate video for smooth video expression.
● When shooting 4K/Full HD, smooth AF with "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" is possible.
● Equipped with Canon's original Log Gamma “Canon Log”, which has a proven track record in video production equipment “CINEMA EOS SYSTEM”. By gently suppressing dark areas and highlight highlights, you can record video with a high degree of freedom in editing and processing after shooting.
● Supports Wi-Fi/Bluetooth(R) connection to mobile devices such as smartphones.
● Equipped with an automatic image transfer function from the camera to "image.canon". You can automatically transfer still images to "Google Photos" or "Adobe Creative Cloud" (membership plan) via "image.canon".
● Equipped with a shutter unit that has achieved a shutter durability of 300,000 times. You can choose to open or close the shutter curtain when the power is off.
● Dust-proof/drip-proof structure is used to prevent water droplets and sand dust from entering the camera. In addition, a lightweight and highly rigid polycarbonate resin is used for the exterior to achieve both reliability and mobility.
● Equipped with dual slots for SD memory cards (UHS-II compatible).
● Equipped with a multi-controller that allows intuitive AF frame selection.
/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
500 000 for the R5 but only 300 00 for the R6. the word ONLY being used loosely because that is still huge
Wow, those are some numbers. I guess at that rate the OLED in the EVF will decay before the shutter. Unless one would regularly shoot 12 FPS just for the kick :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0