Here are more specifications for the Canon EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here are more (no video information) specifications for the Canon EOS R6.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:
● Equipped with a full-size CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of approximately 20.10 million pixels, which is customized based on the sensor equipped with “EOS-1D X Mark III”. High image quality and high-speed continuous shooting are achieved by the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor, high-speed processing of the new video engine “DIGIC X”, and high-performance “RF lens”.
● When shooting with the electronic shutter, high-speed continuous shooting of up to about 20 frames/second is achieved with AF/AE tracking. You can shoot without worrying about the shutter sound in scenes such as facing wild animals and playing golf.
● When shooting with the mechanical shutter/electronic front curtain, high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames/sec.
● AF performance is improved as “dual pixel CMOS AF II” by high-speed signal readout of the new CMOS...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I have a question about EVFs in general, though obviously specific to the R6 at this point. Will there be a problem when shooting while wearing my Rx polarized sunglasses? Some screens, like the one on the back of my 6D, "disappear" when held in portrait mode. I didn't really think about that in relation to an EVF until just now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So only IPB for video? And with MP4 it sounds like this will only be 8bit 420. R5 will be far superior in video over R6 then.
I think it is probably 10-bit 4:2:2 H.265 HEVC MP4 with Canon Log just like the 1DX III
Only you don't get the ALL-I compression, only the IPB as UHS-II SD can't handle the high bitrate for 4k60p
(if they disable ALL-I for all frame rates, then it might be segmentation)

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
So in terms of photography R > R6, disapointed. I can't afford 4000€ cameras. Gonna stick to my RP with normal IS lenses. If only money wasn't to consider...

Depends on the type of photography. Sports and nature are pretty painful on my 6D shooting at 4.5 fps. The R shoots at 3 fps with tracking I believe. The larger pixels might be beneficial for my Milky Way shots too, hard to know at this point. But really the low fps on the R kill it for me (otherwise I'd be super excited for the price drop on an otherwise awesome camera).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
So in terms of photography R > R6, disapointed. I can't afford 4000€ cameras. Gonna stick to my RP with normal IS lenses. If only money wasn't to consider...
Not exactly, the R is way too slow for my liking and a proper AF joystick is a much better use of space than that weird touch bar. Also, even with a lower resolution, the R's sensor is four year old tech, the R6's is much newer and should offer better DR and noise performance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Depends on the type of photography. Sports and nature are pretty painful on my 6D shooting at 4.5 fps. The R shoots at 3 fps with tracking I believe. The larger pixels might be beneficial for my Milky Way shots too, hard to know at this point. But really the low fps on the R kill it for me (otherwise I'd be super excited for the price drop on an otherwise awesome camera).
Exactly! My 5DIV is no race horse but the R is even slower and while I don't know if I really need 12 (or even 20!) fps something faster than what's available in these cameras is highly welcome.

Upvote 0

figiko

eos RP
Jul 8, 2020
Not exactly, the R is way too slow for my liking and a proper AF joystick is a much better use of space than that weird touch bar. Also, even with a lower resolution, the R's sensor is four year old tech, the R6's is much newer and should offer better DR and noise performance.
Well I am very curious to see how this so called old sensor DR compares to this 20mp. If this 20mp doesn't even have better low light capability, it will be the "only video" camera of the line. But getting an R at 1500€ dropped in september as rumored hypes me much more than a 20mp 12fps (I don't do sport and wild life, or I do wild life but not birds (finding it way too overdone, idk).
I hope they went like the 5d mark II back then (launched at 2500€) for the R5. But they still think they are the king of the situation. I doubt that. Everyone around me has a sony as I am speaking. And when I told them about the R5 yesterday, they didn't even care. Weird times.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Well I am very curious to see how this so called old sensor DR compares to this 20mp. If this 20mp doesn't even have better low light capability, it will be the "only video" camera of the line. But getting an R at 1500€ dropped in september as rumored hypes me much more than a 20mp 12fps (I don't do sport and wild life, or I do wild life but not birds (finding it way too overdone, idk).
I hope they went like the 5d mark II back then (launched at 2500€) for the R5. But they still think they are the king of the situation. I doubt that. Everyone around me has a sony as I am speaking. And when I told them about the R5 yesterday, they didn't even care. Weird times.
You can look up sensor reviews on the 1DX III, it does have better low-light capability than the EOS R.
Dynamic range is a bit better as well, but probably not very noticeable, the main differences are the speed, AF system and the video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Gives me a sleepless night! I would love, if it would have the same resolution like the R5 (what was rumored all the last weeks). Anyway, this site did an excellent job in my opinion! Thank you.
They have dumbed down on the LCD, they are probably doing it on the EVF as well, having that much of a difference in resolution does not make sense from the camera's operation (the sensor will read out less pixels for the continuous view).

Upvote 0

figiko

eos RP
Jul 8, 2020
Also, we are still supposed to have something special left for stills, at least for the R5 but maybe for the R6 also. But anyway, for me the hype is over since the price reveal. Or my poverty reality reveal :rolleyes:
Also gonna take the Samyang 85 instead of the Canon 85 since I hoped for 1:1 macro and not 1:2, for an f2 I find it inbetween everthing... missing every purpose. Not a real Macro, not a real portrait (f2 is still ok, but not really for me). So Nothing for me :cry:

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I have a question about EVFs in general, though obviously specific to the R6 at this point. Will there be a problem when shooting while wearing my Rx polarized sunglasses? Some screens, like the one on the back of my 6D, "disappear" when held in portrait mode. I didn't really think about that in relation to an EVF until just now.
Most EVF designs are fine, although Olympus had an infamously bad one in their E-M1 and E-M5.2 that would show a dark "cross" all over the EVF when placed in landscape orientation. None of my Sony's give me trouble, though, and neither have Panasonics. It's usually the rear LCD that darkens, as you say.

Upvote 0