There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Portrait lighting mode from cell phones?
Some people were asking for more computational photography. Clearly Canon has an interest in not offering artificial background blur, but seeing how well they can change the light source angle, they must be able to extract quite a good depth map from DPAF. I wonder if they'll expand on that capability with firmware in the future. The hardware in these cameras is crazy. I'm curious if the updates the R got were an exception or if software updates from Canon may be the way forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Shoot wildlife. You will realise very quickly how good it is. And yes. Sometimes it means you blow the entire sky out. But often that is what is needed to expose the subject properly
While the R5 does not have the same option to link the metering to the spot focus point as the 1DX iii, the spec sheet description of evaluative metering for the R5 mentions being linked to the focus point.
I am personally very interested to see how this works!

Metering modes :
Real-time metering with image sensor (384 [24x16 zone metering])
(1) Evaluative metering (AF point-linked)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 6.1% of the area at the center of the screen)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 3.1% of the area at the center of the screen)
(4) Center-weighted average metering

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Plot twist :
While the R5 does not have the same option to link the metering to the spot focus point as the 1DX iii, the spec sheet description of evaluative metering for the R5 mentions being linked to the focus point.

Metering modes :

The R, RP and M series have had that for a while now.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

Metering modes :
That looks the goods. still looks at the entire scene but gives weight to the focus point? I like it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So what are the practical differences between this mode and the one available on the 1DX iii?

From what I've understood, size and weight of the point. On the 1Dx3 it would use a smaller surface (2.5%) and weight the exposure more heavily towards that.

On the R/RP/M you can see it happening in real time if you put someone in front of a brightly lit window: you will see a silhouette till you move the focus point to the face and you'll see the camera ramp up the exposure to get the face lit better. It isn't perfect, but the RP and M6II get things a lot further in the right direction compared to my 7D.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
From what I've understood, size and weight of the point. On the 1Dx3 it would use a smaller surface (2.5%) and weight the exposure more heavily towards that.

On the R/RP/M you can see it happening in real time if you put someone in front of a brightly lit window: you will see a silhouette till you move the focus point to the face and you'll see the camera ramp up the exposure to get the face lit better. It isn't perfect, but the RP and M6II get things a lot further in the right direction compared to my 7D.
Thank you for providing this explanation, I think this metering mode will be extremely useful for me!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Metering modes :
This is good news since now you are influencing what the exposure should be "focusing on". A quick look at my Pileated WP face and body illustrates this well.

Jack

Upvote 0
Let's revisit this. We'll know for sure in a few weeks, but looks like somehow Canon has pulled it off.

#what.are.you.smoking......

I don't believe that for a second.

There is nothing to gain in high iso DR as all manufacturers are within a hairsbreadth of each other. https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Nikon D5,Nikon D6,Sony ILCE-9M2

View attachment 191087

That would certainly be a crazy achievement. I did not think there was that much room for improvement in current sensor tech. And it would absolutely change my mind about the f11 primes.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Let's revisit this. We'll know for sure in a few weeks, but looks like somehow Canon has pulled it off.

well, here is what you said,, word for word:

"... One thing is certain: Canon wouldn't be making f/7.1 L zooms and f/11 primes if they didn't have insane (as in industry-shaking) improvements in store for high ISO noise. Canon must have achieved current f/5.6-level IQ at f/11. So that's the amount of light/improvement we're talking about here – at minimum, IMO. ..."
A.M.: f/5.6 level of IQ at f/11 is at least (that's what you said)... at least 2 stops of improvement at high ISO noise (that how you put it) , not base ISO.

expectation of at least 2 stops of high ISO performance improvement is.. can i just say.. a little bit unwarranted at this stage :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

Metering modes :
While it's always possible the new cameras aren't doing evaluative metering exactly the same was as older cameras, I think Canon's evaluative metering has been linked to the AF point (ie the camera gives some extra weight to the metering required to properly expose where the active AF point/s is/are) for some time.

For example, see https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...ecember/photographing-snow/photographing-snow

So, it's not obvious to me that the evaluative metering in the new model cameras is really doing anything different from the evaluative metering in older models.

EDIT: I have just realised Sporgon beat me to it!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It has? Shows how much I pay attention sometimes. In that case, it does very little

It doesn’t do very little. If it didn’t prioritize the selected focus point, like basically every camera in existence, getting properly exposed photos would be ridiculously harder. It’s one of those features that Just Work which is probably why you haven’t even noticed it. And you can easily see it in action, just find a high-contrast scene, start metering and watch as your camera remeters as you move the AF point around…

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It doesn’t do very little. If it didn’t prioritize the selected focus point, like basically every camera in existence, getting properly exposed photos would be ridiculously harder. It’s one of those features that Just Work which is probably why you haven’t even noticed it. And you can easily see it in action, just find a high-contrast scene, start metering and watch as your camera remeters as you move the AF point around…

I think the disconnect here is that when using it with an OVF it has less of an impact than when using it in live-view mode. The difference in results between backlit subjects using my 7D with OVF metering and RP using EVF is substantial. And on the RP I don't have to guess or use image playback to dial in EC.
I guess on a 5D or 1D series the result could've been better, since those have a better metering sensor compared to my 7D.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Not saying it doesn't do anything. Just saying that for my photography it does not work. It may prioritize the focus point but it does not prioritize it enough to make a meaningful difference for me. Which is why i have tobuse either spot metering linked to center focus point or most of the time use centre weighted average. Evaluative rarely ever cuts it with birds against a bright sky

Upvote 0