Meike announces a 50mm f/1.2 lens for the RF mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Lens maker Meike has announced a 50mm f/1.2 manual focus lens for the Canon RF mount. The new fast prime is only $359 USD.
The Meike RF 50mm f/1.2 is available for preorder at Meike’s web site and is scheduled to begin shipping on August 15, 2020.
Meike 50mm f/1.2 Specification:

Focal Length: 50mm
Lens Construction: 12 elements in 7 groups
Aperture Range: f/1.2-f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 10
Minimum Focus Distance: 0.6m
Filter Size: ø67
Product Size: ø73*98mm (E), ø73*96mm (RF), ø73*100mm (Z),
ø73*72mm (EF)
FOV on FF Cameras: Diagonal 47° Horizontal 39° Vertical 26°
FOV on APS-C Cameras: Diagonal 33° Horizontal 26° Vertical 17°
Weight: Approx. 620g
Fit mount: E/ RF/ Z/ L/ EF-mount

MEIKE-50MM-F1.2-RF-1-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Who the hell is able to focus an f/1.2 lens manually? At least wide open? Does focus peaking make that practical?

I think the manual focus guide would be more precise here since it uses the same mechanism as the auto focus and gives you an indication of how far off you are and in what direction.

Upvote 0

Konachu

Canon EOS R
Jan 9, 2020
I think the manual focus guide would be more precise here since it uses the same mechanism as the auto focus and gives you an indication of how far off you are and in what direction.
Looks like no electronics in the lens though. So focus guide will not work. You can only use focus peeking.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Who the hell is able to focus an f/1.2 lens manually? At least wide open? Does focus peaking make that practical?
You do realize people have been manual focusing for over 60 years?

Canon even has a few less than f1 lenses, such as this f.095 one released in 1961:

It can be done, it just takes skill and practice. Focus Peaking is a handy tool that can make it much better, but on wide lenses or when stopped down it's not perfect. And critically sharp images still need to be checked using the eyeball. Luckily you can also zoom on these cameras to get it just right.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You assume, like so many others, that f/1.2 is only used for close-ups of subjects where much of the subject is out of focus? f/1.2 isn't any harder to focus than anything else if you have proper distance to subject. If one is going for a single facial feature (one eye) in focus... then it can be difficult. Wide aperture is about more than one eyed portraits.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Samples from the E-mount version in a video that went up last week:

From the photos included here, I have to say, I really dislike the way it renders :confused: I'll be much happier to stick with my vintage Yashica 50/1.7
Considering this lens is soft wide open (of course it’s no Canon 50mm f1.2 L RF) for the size and weight (plus the lack of EXIF data, lens hood and likely de-clicked aperture) I’d much rather have a smaller and lighter lens. Bigger, heavier lenses should have better optics or what’s the point.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
You do realize people have been manual focusing for over 60 years?

Canon even has a few less than f1 lenses, such as this f.095 one released in 1961:

It can be done, it just takes skill and practice. Focus Peaking is a handy tool that can make it much better, but on wide lenses or when stopped down it's not perfect. And critically sharp images still need to be checked using the eyeball. Luckily you can also zoom on these cameras to get it just right.
Back in the day, cameras had proper manual focus assist systems and the lenses were not that sharp to begin with.
All otus and mf lens users that I know use live view. Mirrorless may become very popular with them.

Upvote 0
It is a matter of training and using the right technique. Focus peaking helps a lot at f/1.x and it is a good idea to catch the focus by varying it around the optimum setting two or three times getting closer and closer, like a sine function with ever smaller amplitude.
And for more or less static situations you have always the great magnifying glass function.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Considering this lens is soft wide open (of course it’s no Canon 50mm f1.2 L RF) for the size and weight (plus the lack of EXIF data, lens hood and likely de-clicked aperture) I’d much rather have a smaller and lighter lens. Bigger, heavier lenses should have better optics or what’s the point.
Fair enough but $359?
I would also withhold judgement of the IQ until we can actually judge from something other than a web video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0