DPReview Post R5 and R6 in comparison tool

Jan 29, 2011
I hate to be "that guy" (I'm lying...) but I actually see slightly less chroma noise, and less damage to detail from luma noise, in the R5 image, viewed big.

Which doesn't surprise me in the slightest...
;)

I’m sure they are within processing distance of each other, and the differences so small they would be practically impossible to see at normal output sizes.

I think we can all agree (I’m sure we won’t) that the high iso performance difference is not big enough to base a purchasing decision on.

Regarding the other long running question, I see less than a stop difference between the R5 and the R, probably 1/2 to 2/3, so anybody hoping to see big gains there will be disappointed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0
I’m not sure it is down that low. Here it is at 1,600.

Thanks for the link! They are very close at 1600. I would still give the R5 a slight edge though... glad it hasn't lost any ground to the older sensor

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
High ISO when normalized they are exactly the same...
Whaaat? Are you telling me countless comments hyping up the R6 may have been exaggerated? :eek: Sureley nobody could have gotten carried away by baseless speculation on the Internet! :ROFLMAO:

As for the more relevant comparison, both seem to show some improvements in noise and detail at low light compared to their DSLR predecessors:

Screenshot_20200725-115120.png

Nothing unexpected here, really. We've known Canon closed what ever gap there remained in terms of read noise / DR with the new high speed sensors (90D, M6 II, 1DX III) for all practical intends and purposes. But the throughput they can pull from these guys is really insane. Looking forward to this sensor generation tickling down to more bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
And the result is....

High ISO when normalized they are exactly the same...

View attachment 191531

and the reason is (likely): left and right files are identical, the same file being compared..due to a human error :) I found a spot in the image that is purely noise pattern and it is identical in both samples... I am not going to bid my house on it. but... it is a miracle otherwise.. not what TDP samples are showing. there is a difference and noticeable in the level of details available at ISO6400 specifically. R6 is slightly more detailed.

Upvote 0
and the reason is (likely): left and right files are identical, the same file being compared..due to a human error :) I found a spot in the image that is purely noise pattern and it is identical in both samples... I am not going to bid my house on it. but... it is a miracle otherwise.. not what TDP samples are showing. there is a difference and noticeable in the level of details available at ISO6400 specifically. R6 is slightly more detailed.
In the shadows, the color noise does not compare, one to one, to my eye.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Can you share this spot with us? Do you think it is the same file as well, for example in the higher ISO ranges, which I have linked to?

With the claim about the R6 having more detail, you are referring to the word 'green' having higher contrast edges on the R6? That is not necessarily an indication of detail, especially since small differences such as these can also originate from the scaling methods used.

Or did I miss an example that better illustrates this alleged detail advantage the R6 has?

I am not saying that you are wrong, but I would be surprised if the R6 would have any noteworthy advantage in IQ over the R5. And that so far, I haven't gotten that impression from the proper comparisons that are available.

Edit: To expand upon my skepticism, if the files were identical, how does this difference in aliasing came about:

Screenshot_20200725-133137.png

From: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.5782423487760326&y=0.07903900901043959

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Can you share this spot with us? Do you think it is the same file as well, for example in the higher ISO ranges, which I have linked to?

With the claim about the R6 having more detail, you are referring to the word 'green' having higher contrast edges on the R6? That is not necessarily an indication of detail, especially since small differences such as these can also originate from the scaling methods used.

Or did I miss an example that better illustrates this alleged detail advantage the R6 has?

I am not saying that you are wrong, but I would be surprised if the R6 would have any noteworthy advantage in IQ over the R5. And that so far, I haven't gotten that impression from the proper comparisons that are available.

Edit: To expand upon my skepticism, if the files were identical, how does this difference in aliasing came about:

View attachment 191535

From: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.5782423487760326&y=0.07903900901043959

1. +++With the claim about the R6 having more detail, you are referring to the word 'green' having higher contrast edges on the R6? That is not necessarily an indication of detail, especially since small differences such as these can also originate from the scaling methods used.

A.M.: it well may be that you are correct and I am incorrect. I looked at a number of methods that Bryan used: P.S., DPP... there is a difference. Is a small difference but visible to my eye. And it is not only a higher contrast edges... not only an acutance... There is a small difference in how details were rendered.
2. DPR tool:

there is absolutely no difference in details level or noise characteristics between R5, R6 or.... 5D4. I just looked at R5 vs 5D4 at ISO 6400. There is a bit of difference in colour reproduction. And that’s all.
We all know however that 5D4 is not as great as 1Dx3 at ISO 6400. Slightly less great. However the tool does not present any tangible difference. At all. I am looking at a very large screen now.

but back to your request. Here is a screen shot. (R5 and R6)B1DB71BD-D8DE-4C96-A3B7-DD26C3282FA7.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I hate to be "that guy" (I'm lying...) but I actually see slightly less chroma noise, and less damage to detail from luma noise, in the R5 image, viewed big.

Which doesn't surprise me in the slightest...
there is quite a bit of a colour banding or aliasing in the top left corner (R5), much less of the same for R6, I can detect a slight bit in 5D4 and none in 1Dx3.
Does not look right to me. I have seen this in 5D4 from time to time. but not as pronounced.

R5 R6 5D4 1Dx3 6400.jpg

p.s. there is that blotch of colour (yellowish, somewhat) on the person's face in the bottom left corner (R5). there is no such an issue in neither R6, 1Dx3 or 5D4 test image. that's crap..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
there is quite a bit of a colour banding or aliasing in the top left corner (R5), much less of the same for R6, I can detect a slight bit in 5D4 and none in 1Dx3.
Doe not look right to me. I have seen this in 5D4 from time to time. but not as pronounced.

View attachment 191537
to me its more like moire effect rather than sensor banding. as far as i know, Canon didnt put their official statement regarding their sensor OLPF on R5 and R6 yet. try to compare it with Z7 or A7RIII

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
to me its more like moire effect rather than sensor banding. as far as i know, Canon didnt put their official statement regarding their new sensor OLPF on R5 and R6 yet. try to compare it with Z7 or A7RIII
moire is unlikely. colour banding it is.. and regardless what you call this : it's crap... I am not particularly concerned about Nikon or Sony... However if that's what it is then obviously I am not going for R5.. If this is not an issue on DPR side, I hope that Canon will fix the issue sooner or later..I do not want any of this rubbish in my high ISO shots. how one is going to fix that?

Upvote 0
moire is unlikely. colour banding it is.. and regardless what you call this : it's crap... I am not particularly concerned about Nikon or Sony... However if that's what it is then obviously I am not going for R5.. If this is not an issue on DPR side, I hope that Canon will fix the issue sooner or later..I do not want any of this rubbish in my high ISO shots. how one is going to fix that?
Wow, something is definitely not right there with the R5. I have never seen noise that looks like that before... strange

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Does not look right to me. I have seen this in 5D4 from time to time. but not as pronounced.

View attachment 191537
Whatever it is, it's there at 100 ISO upwards. So it's not a high ISO noise artefact.

R5_100_ISO.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0