Industry News: Sony Alpha a7s III images leak ahead of tomorrow’s announcement

Sorry. I was thinking in Australian dollars. 256Gb card is 500-600 AUD.
MSY have a Sandisk 128GB UHS-II for AUD279 which is the cheapest I can find. The CFe cards are really expensive in comparison. If you find something cheap(ish) then let me know. I do know that CFe card readers are mostly out of stock especially the dual prograde CFe/UHS-II around the world.
On top of this, we still don't know what CFe cards are approved by Canon for the R5. The Sandisk USH-II is the fastest available and would be fine. The Sandisk CFe 128GB is not approved for the 1DXiii
https://msy.com.au/sandisk-extreme-pro-sdsdxpk-128g-gn4in-sdxc-sdxpk-128gb-u3-c10-uhs-ii-300mbs-r

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes, but my point is that I doubt the 16 bit will allow you to exposure more to the right.

Dynamic range is difference between the brightest and darkest tones, it's not affected by how far you can expose to the right, as long as you don't overexpose.
Digital sensors generate noise most visible in the shadows and the noise hides the darkest shadows which reduces the dynamic range. So the DR battle is all in the shadows.

Upvote 0
At the risk of reopening an old debate, in photography we capture images. Unless you're cropping to a single pixel, I don't really see the relevance of measuring anything on that basis.

In all popular measurements (photonstophotos, dxo) the pixel-level noise is actually the starting point. You're dealing with the pixel-level noise when you use the whole of your image before downscaling, not when you crop it to a single pixel.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
In all popular measurements (photonstophotos, dxo) the pixel-level noise is actually the starting point. You're dealing with the pixel-level noise when you use the whole of your image before downscaling, not when you crop it to a single pixel.
And what practical knowledge is the measurement from a single pixel?

Upvote 0
The Sandisk USH-II is the fastest available and would be fine. The Sandisk CFe 128GB is not approved for the 1DXiii
https://msy.com.au/sandisk-extreme-pro-sdsdxpk-128g-gn4in-sdxc-sdxpk-128gb-u3-c10-uhs-ii-300mbs-r

It might happen to be not fine btw, of you intend to shoot video on it, as it doesn't have a V rating.
This guy in turn has a V90 rating

Without a V rating, as far as I understand, it's not guaranteed to have consistent write speed.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
While I'm not a Sony shooter, know quite a few that are very happy with theirs.

This doesn't appeal to me, but wouldn't call it trash.

Yea the brand bashing no matter who it is pointed at frustrates and boggles the mind. Anyone objective can see all these brands are making amazing tools that enable us to do incredible things that would have been impossible or very, very expensive just a couple years ago. The competition and innovation is good. The compromises each product makes are good and necessary, and keep the technology evolving. Nearly every camera I have seen has lots of pros and cons. I have seen no perfect cameras and no absolutely bad cameras for years.

If anything is trash, it is people's attitudes about everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, my 1DXiii has been shooting on that card since I received it and I have had zero issues. So far. The CFe card that is. I couldn't tell in your post when you were referring to the CFExpress or the SD UHS-II.
The CFe card. See the following link under "Possible Maximum Burst Rate...." is the table. The Sandisk 512B card is support but not 128GB even though it has 1200MB/s max write speed. I'm assuming that 5.5k60 raw in 1DXiii is similar bit rate as 8k30 raw in the R5
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x-mark-iii

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might happen to be not fine btw, of you intend to shoot video on it, as it doesn't have a V rating.
This guy in turn has a V90 rating

Without a V rating, as far as I understand, it's not guaranteed to have consistent write speed.
Well that is surprising for Sandisk! Which UHS-II cards are then supported? The CFe speeds are not clear to me but I thought the UHS-II supported 4k/30 continuous video at least. UHS-I cards have been used for 4K recording in the past haven't they? If I do higher video then I will use the CFe card.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Upvote 0
Well that is surprising for Sandisk! Which UHS-II cards are then supported?

There was a compatibility sheet from Canon, but sadly I lost the link and cannot find it now. I think the link was somewhere on this forum. Basically V90 should do even for non-raw 8K. The Sandisk SD above has a decent speed but it looks like without the V rating it's not guaranteed to be consistent, so there may (or may not) be issues with video recording.
I ordered this beast from Amazon and will live with it for a while, new covid restrictions have been imposed here in Victoria after I preordered the R5 so I won't be able to do a lot of photography anyway. Later on I'll figure what CFexpress card to get. Probably a SanDisk as above, and it should be at least 256Gb.

Upvote 0
And again, what value does that have from a photographers perspective?

It sets limits on cropping, printing large and on postprocessing in general. The cleaner the image is, the more room you have for postprocessing. Full-sized image IS your photograph and starting point for any manipulations. Not a downscaled to instagram size thumbnail.

Upvote 0