HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
My favorite airshow is never cancelled. Hopefully my order will get here in time for the weekend.

View attachment 191640View attachment 191641View attachment 191642
That's my kind of airshow right there! Well done, and I wish you the best this weekend. Forecast looks gross here, rain from beginning to end. Osprey haven't been super active perhaps due to the crazy heat wave (two weeks ago was the first time I saw eagles and osprey panting). I've got a 50/1.2 coming tomorrow along with the R5 so I might see if there's a museum open. Ugh...that means mixing with tourists...lol

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hallelujah!! B&H changed my R5 to Processing this morning! The extra battery is still back ordered. I ordered the camera 58 min after the order page was opened. Hope it arrives in the next few days so I can practice with it before we leave to photograph bears in Alaska in 2 wks
I'm excited for all of you guys getting the first shipment!

Upvote 0

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
CR Pro
I pre-ordered just before 11 AM on launch day from B&H. Status still says backordered. I saw on FM that someone who ordered at 8:47 AM that day contacted customer service and were told that their order will not be in the first batch that is shipped. So presumably, anyone who ordered after that time will be in the same boat.

I made a list of local spots in the northeast and started calling at around 9:30 AM this morning. Hunt's (MA) has a "long" list that may takes "months" to fill. Bergen County Camera (NJ) (THOUGH I BELIEVE THEY DO HAVE EF - R ADAPTERS IN STOCK) only received a few units and has a list. Allen's also has a list and has no idea when new shipments will arrive. The story I was hearing was that everyone was receiving less units than expected.

Finally I called Milford Photo, which is in CT but only about 1.5 hours from my home in NY. They had 3 bodies available and I was told to place the order online. I went ahead and did and called to cofirm that I was able to secure one!

Should be shipped today and delivered tomorrow!

Good luck in your search everyone...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
My R5 and 800mm f/11 just arrived in two humongous Adorama boxes. I ordered from Adorama at, I think, 8:05 am 7/9.

Camera looks great, and the battery is charging. It's been a while since I've purchased a Canon product, so seeing the jet black Canon boxes instead of the white and red ones of yore, was slightly unsettling (I guess I'm a traditionalist). The body is very "DSLR-like. I wouldn't recognize it as mirrorless by looking at it. It is noticeably larger than my A7rIII but not massively so. It is much smaller than my D850 (yes, I have entered the danger zone of three systems, but there is no way I'm giving up my 500mm pf anytime soon!). I was never one to complain about Sony ergonomics, but I suspect that using the R5 will feel a lot like coming home.

I was distressed to see that Canon is continuing its old practices of not including a lens hood with non-L lenses, grrr! B&H has one that fits the 800mm for $54. While not horribly expensive, if I keep the lens, I'll wait for 3rd parties to produce one. No tripod foot either. Instead, you can screw the tripod directly into the lens. it is extremely lightweight.

I need to get work done today, so that maybe I can go out tomorrow morning and see if the 800mm can keep up with osprey.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
I placed my order from B&H at 5:02am pst on 7/9 and the website doesn't say it has shipped yet... Starting to get nervous.

Give them a call. I learned that if you include any other items with the order that are not currently in stock, it can slow things down. If you did, tell them that you want a partial shipment.

Upvote 0
Give them a call. I learned that if you include any other items with the order that are not currently in stock, it can slow things down. If you did, tell them that you want a partial shipment.
When you call B&H right now it says they are closed for holiday vacation and they will reopen Friday, then hangs up on you.

(I did order the 800mm lens a little later in a separate order, not sure if that may be the issue or not)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
When you call B&H right now it says they are closed for holiday vacation and they will reopen Friday, then hangs up on you. Is today even a holiday?

(I did order the 800mm lens a little later in a separate order, not sure if that may be the issue or not)
I forgot that today is a Jewish holiday ( Tish'a B'Av). B&H and Adorama are both run by devout Jews who honor their holidays.

If the orders were separate you were wise. They should be treated independently. I think that they may be a bit overwhelmed with all the activity. I suspect that your order will ship soon.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Just got mine from Amazon! Ordered at about 9am eastern the day they came out. Only played with the camera for a few minutes, but pretty happy so far. Overall feels like a much more premium camera compared to the EOS R. The shutter is much quieter, and the electronic shutter seems to handle fast motion a lot better. I've been able to get pretty sharp shots with my RF 50mm f1.2 at 1/4 of a second using the IBIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
Wow!!!!

The 800mm may be very sharp. It's a bit on the rainy side here, so I didn't stay out too long, but I'm pretty blown away by the quality of the images--especially considering that I have no clue how to work this camera and change to a smaller AF area. I did get it out of P mode (I went to manual) and set the ISO to 400 to minimize the grain. Just viewing on the rear LCD and looking at some of my standard distance test images, the detail, contrast, and color seem to be excellent. Maybe later I'll upload the shots to the computer to see if the images hold up when viewed on a big screen.

I set the shutter to 1/125sec, which suggests that the IBIS is delivering as promised.

With a little luck--and some time with the manual--I can take it out to the field tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0