What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

Feb 13, 2018
I think the R and RP and probably a lot of the Canon mirror cameras all will get just as hot as the R5 when doing only photos. It's just that no one paid attention to it till now with the R5/R6 release. Someone mentioned that the R manual also stated the same heating issues with photos only.

IBIS is new now for Canon, so maybe that is causing more heat in these models?
But that can be turned off.

Unlikely, evidence points towards an inadequate thermal interface between the hottest parts (likely microprocessor) and the heatsink (body).
Camera overheats but the body is cold = there is a layer between body and internal components that act as an insulator. This explains also why the bodies take so long to recover after overheating.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Well I just shot some hand held video with the R5 and to my eyes the video in normal 4k looks cleaner than my Eos R in 4K. This is without a doubt the best mirrorless camera that I have used to date... by a huge margin. Colors straight out of camera look fantastic. Finally my collection of RF glass is justified.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Unlikely, evidence points towards an inadequate thermal interface between the hottest parts (likely microprocessor) and the heatsink (body).
Camera overheats but the body is cold = there is a layer between body and internal components that act as an insulator. This explains also why the bodies take so long to recover after overheating.

I'm not disagreeing about the inadequate thermal interface.
My point is for photography only, there is probably no difference in heating concerns between the R and R5 because the thermal interface is the same. So him returning it when he only does photography should not be concern.

But, having to process more jobs like IBIS will cause more heat than with IBIS not there or turned off.

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon will disable or limit some of the computational features going on during photo and/or video record. From what I understand the new bodies get hot when doing photos alone as the processors are really working overtime doing all the real time scene/face/eye recognition. Apparently the algorithm was done to search for and/or track many objects besides just human faces/eyes/animal faces/animal eyes.

If it's doing all this in video too, it could be a good thing to have the option at least to use a more basic form of tracking. Maybe a lowered bit rate too, or at least the option to.

Only so much you can do in a rubberized bodied camera.

I would think a good solution (if you can't implement a cooling fan/vents) would be to implement the heat sink into the tripod screw and have an optional finned heat sink you screw onto the bottom. Or maybe a hotshoe solution. But what do I know.
I believe that a new grip that includes additional heatsink abilities via heatpipe would be a relatively simple solution. 2 batteries for a fan or peltier solution to avoid vibration inside the main body. Additional 5GHz wifi might not be needed but use ethernet instead of HDMI 2.1 for external recorders.
Charge USD500 for it and videographers would think that it is a bargain!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Perhaps that's good news? It would have been best for the cameras to not ship with this issue. But if the issue is a thermal interface maybe it's a relatively simple fix and recall. Something roughly equivalent to changing the thermal paste on a computer heatsink, or swapping out one material for another in a piece near the processor.

Upvote 0
Well yes being a tester and not actually testing it, that is recording any useful data about use, isn't really any kind of a test by the very meaning of the word. But semantics and what Canon knew, intimated, understood or not aside, do you believe his use, 'high end mini documentaries filmed in long form' is typical user case use? I don't.

I'm not saying the camera or Canon are the best, infallible, or anything like it, what I am saying is is this a result general users are going to get in more normal and expected use cases? I do not believe so but if they do Canon deserve the outcry, if they don't this is all bullshit.

Read Johnnies comments on this, he said, they *Cinema5D* DO NOT do lab tests on pre-production cameras, as hardware AND firmware MAY not be final with this pre-production sample. I'd say that's more sane than putting lab equipment on it right now, and instantly writing it off.

Would you disagree with that approach?

Personally, I read Johnnie's analysis, and decided to wait and see what Canon do going forward.

On a side note, the Sony's went through exactly the same teething issues when they went 4K, that boiled down to a simple firmware *adjustment* (we think).

I'm still hopeful for the R5, it'd make for a better camera *for my needs* than the A7Slll.

Upvote 0
Well I just shot some hand held video with the R5 and to my eyes the video in normal 4k looks cleaner than my Eos R in 4K. This is without a doubt the best mirrorless camera that I have used to date... by a huge margin. Colors straight out of camera look fantastic. Finally my collection of RF glass is justified.

Can you answer me a question about the R5. When the camera is powered OFF, does the IBIS *park & lock* or does it rattle around like my Sony's? To my knowledge, only Nikon's Z parks and locks when powered OFF. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not disagreeing about the inadequate thermal interface.
My point is for photography only, there is probably no difference in heating concerns between the R and R5 because the thermal interface is the same. So him returning it when he only does photography should not be concern.

But, having to process more jobs like IBIS will cause more heat than with IBIS not there or turned off.

I see and definitely agreed on the photography part.

.. I don't think the heat generated by IBIS system itself is a significant problem (motors etc are efficient). However with IBIS, the sensor needs to be floating and low weight (= not attached to any heatsink). If the sensor (as opposed to the more likely microprocessor) is overheating, we are out of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wonder why this so called review is so popular here. Mac/PC price tags are not tech specs. In terms of the performance, you don't do production on a $4000 laptop, you do production on say quad-core CPU, 32G RAM, 2Tb SSD etc. Or lower. He should analyse and compare the technical h/w specs. To start with there was a glimpse of only 16Gb RAM in one of the devices, it doesn't seem to be enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Perhaps that's good news? It would have been best for the cameras to not ship with this issue. But if the issue is a thermal interface maybe it's a relatively simple fix and recall. Something roughly equivalent to changing the thermal paste on a computer heatsink, or swapping out one material for another in a piece near the processor.
I think so. I am cautiously optimistic that a reasonable fix can be implemented by Canon. In fact, there seem to mild signs that they are up to something..
Quote form EOSHD: "Another source I asked actually works for Canon. They are saying that up and down the chain of feedback and professional testers including Canon ambassadors the problem of overheating in video mode was played down or not even reported."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am cautiously optimistic that a reasonable fix can be implemented before a mkII version. There seem to mild signs that Canon is in doing something..
Quote form EOSHD: "Another source I asked actually works for Canon. They are saying that up and down the chain of feedback and professional testers including Canon ambassadors the problem of overheating in video mode was played down or not even reported."

It's kinda sad out here, a whole industry (and sponsored gravy train) has sprung up around *testing/testers/ambassadors/etc* -- objectivity plus real world feedback has gone out the window.

None wants to bite the hand that feeds them, it appears.

Try getting an honest public critique from some of these *in house* alpha and beta testers.......

I kept looking at the upside down SONY logo on the long awaited A7Rlll flip-out screen, and that low resolution menu font on the long awaited menu update, and thinking, "surely someone said something, that shouldn't be like that."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
I think so. I am cautiously optimistic that a reasonable fix can be implemented by Canon. In fact, there seem to mild signs that they are up to something..
Hmmm. That’s promising and also scary at the same time.
I have an R5 sitting on my desk. Testing time. We’ll see what Canon’s move is. They have to make an announcement sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hmmm. That’s promising and also scary at the same time.
I have an R5 sitting on my desk. Testing time. We’ll see what Canon’s move is. They have to make an announcement sooner rather than later.

Krispy, does the R5 IBIS rattle when the camera is powered OFF? Thanks!

Upvote 0