Industry News: Sony officially announces the Alpha A7s III

Obviously sony trolls do not care to comment on A7S3 trashing the recorded video at "high temp warning" setting.

One could say that A7S3 does not overheat, it trashes! :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note the only thing that would get my attention in A7S3 would be astrophotography photos compared to downscaled ones (to 12Mp) from R6, R5 and R (obviously at same settings, environment, etc. I am stating the obvious for well ... sony trolls!)

I think they still have some problems with the "star-eater"

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So, this was a careful verification re-test in the Florida sun at 4K 60FPS. The A7s3 can have the overheat temp warning set to normal or high. On high it will run longer but put the camera at more risk. He put it on "high temp warning" to see how long it would last.
The results:
On one of his tests the A7s3 overheated first and shut off and trashed the recorded file - yes, it trashed it!
On the subsequent test the A7s3 overheated first and shut off well before the Canon.

Now I'm a stills shooter, but all you video shooters complaining about the Canon heating issue should take notice and start shouting about the A7s3 overheating if you want to be fair.

I'm getting the R5 for its wonderful build quality, lenses & stills use. I'll get into video for fun. Whether you get either camera I hope you get out and take stills & video and enjoy it!

I really want to see a more controlled test and verifiable with more people. All of the other testers ranging from people in North America to Hong Kong don't report the same overheating outcome or file trashing. I've even seen attacks against Gerald Undone now even though he was always regarded quite well.. In addition, Dan's rolling shutter shutter test was not mounted correctly. We will simply have to wait for both cameras to be in the market in people's hands to truly find out the outcome unless a tester with more of a pedigree in testing methodology comes out with a proper test first.

Personally, I would fail miserably at doing some of these tests TBH. I didn't even realize upon cursory observation that mounting the camera a certain way would affect the outcome. It appears to be common sense, but like any tests there are many variables that affect the outcome and is why I don't test cameras because I would probably have made the same mistake. This is also why scientific findings are usually peer reviewed. A commenter on Dan's video bringing up this point is not necessarily a "Sony troll or apologist.." In the opposing camp, most people report the R5 and R6 will overheat and I've almost seen none that says it doesn't including the lengthy recovery times. But I'm more skeptical about that one comment that video recording time was at 0min after taking a bunch of photos outdoors. If 1 tester came out tomorrow saying the opposite or even making a bold claim, I would be skeptical.. wouldn't you? Just like if the science community says close contact with people without a mask increases your chance of spreading covid-19 tenfold, would you then want to right off the bat believe "some unnamed leader" that you don't need a mask at all?

It's great forum cannon fodder to argue these points, but does little so far to move the argument in any one direction. I think I'm guilty of that too sometimes, but hope I can at least add something to this discussion because things like runtime and rolling shutter are important to me as I work with these tools day in and day out in the field. If finally a proper test comes out and the Sony does indeed overheat after 30mins in the sun, but can run essentially unlimited everywhere else, I'll find a way to work around those limitations because there is nothing else in the market that has decent AF right now that can offer more for how I work.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Sound like Bill Gates decades ago - 640 KB is enough just for anyone :)
While Bill Gates gave enough reasons to be hated, this BS is not one of them.

In fact, it was IBM that decided that 512k would be enough. Rumors say that it was Bill Gates who managed to convince them to increase it to at least 640k.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
  • Wow
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow I had forgotten about that! But I believe they had alleviated this problem somewhat. But thank you. I will stick to my trusty Canons :)

Every time Sony introduces a new model they claim they have "solved" the star eater problem. Then various independent reviewers actually test it doing real world astro work and report that Sony has improved it slightly, but it is still far more of an issue with Sony sensors than with other sensors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Probably the same way that Sony has other bodies with "weather sealing" that isn't very weather/water resistant.

About Getting Your Camera Wet… Teardown of a Salty Sony A7sII
By Roger Cicala
I always knew how bad Sony cameras were about NOT being weather resistant, but Rogers careful teardown and analysis of how Sony designed the camera WITHOUT proper sealing in part after part after part after ... (you get the picture!) makes me not want to EVER consider buying a high-end Sony camera. For those of you considering buying the A7S3 or any A7... take a good look at this teardown! - Your "disposable income" might be buying a "disposable camera"!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I always knew how bad Sony cameras were about NOT being weather resistant, but Rogers careful teardown and analysis of how Sony designed the camera WITHOUT proper sealing in part after part after part after ... (you get the picture!) makes me not want to EVER consider buying a high-end Sony camera. For those of you considering buying the A7S3 or any A7... take a good look at this teardown! - Your "disposable income" might be buying a "disposable camera"!
To be fair, two generations have passed since then, looking at the A7RIV they have improved the weather-sealing since then, although I don't expect it to be as good as the R5.
The EOS R is overall not as well-sealed as a 6D Mark II, even though Canon claims it is. The RP is even weaker as expected.
So I am sceptical about the R5, it will be good for a mirrorless camera, but claiming to be as good as a 5D Mark IV might be a bit of a stretch.

It is the Sony IBIS fractures that seemed to slip under the radar (they never provided any response to that), those plastic retaining clips may still break under pressure, and they might not be detected without disassembly if there is only a slight misalignment on the sensor.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
To be fair, two generations have passed since then, looking at the A7RIV they have improved the weather-sealing since then, although I don't expect it to be as good as the R5.
The EOS R is overall not as well-sealed as a 6D Mark II, even though Canon claims it is. The RP is even weaker as expected.
So I am sceptical about the R5, it will be good for a mirrorless camera, but claiming to be as good as a 5D Mark IV might be a bit of a stretch.

It is the Sony IBIS fractures that seemed to slip under the radar (they never provided any response to that), those plastic retaining clips may still break under pressure, and they might not be detected without disassembly if there is only a slight misalignment on the sensor.
Thanks for the post. I'm also hoping the R5 weather sealing is good. In fact I'm counting on it, since I just got my R5 a couple days ago. I've heard that the top end Canon DSLRs have superb weather sealing, and I do know that my Olympus EM1_II has superb (possibly the best) weather sealing. Too bad Olympus stayed only with the small sensor and is now folding. But when I have all my RF lenses I'll be able to give my cherished Olympus gear to my brother who will inherit a wonderful camera & lenses that'll last longer than any new Sony bodies & lenses that are being sold now!

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks for the post. I'm also hoping the R5 weather sealing is good. In fact I'm counting on it, since I just got my R5 a couple days ago. I've heard that the top end Canon DSLRs have superb weather sealing, and I do know that my Olympus EM1_II has superb (possibly the best) weather sealing. Too bad Olympus stayed only with the small sensor and is now folding. But when I have all my RF lenses I'll be able to give my cherished Olympus gear to my brother who will inherit a wonderful camera & lenses that'll last longer than any new Sony bodies & lenses that are being sold now!

And to quote Roger @ Lens Rental on the EOSR tear down

Speaking of the Sony A7RIII, it’s taken a bit of internet trashing for its lack of weather sealing. Throw no stones from your glass house, oh Canon shooters. The Canon EOS R is just about the same; well-sealed buttons and dials, not much else. That means, I think, that it will be fine in a misty rain for a while, but don’t get it saturated and don’t set it somewhere wet.

Upvote 0
And to quote Roger @ Lens Rental on the EOSR tear down

Speaking of the Sony A7RIII, it’s taken a bit of internet trashing for its lack of weather sealing. Throw no stones from your glass house, oh Canon shooters. The Canon EOS R is just about the same; well-sealed buttons and dials, not much else. That means, I think, that it will be fine in a misty rain for a while, but don’t get it saturated and don’t set it somewhere wet.
Right, not the underwater camera that some wanted, but at least heating is not a problem underwater.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That's "fewer" or "less" pixels, not a "smaller" sensor.

Early in my computer days I told someone I wanted a larger hard drive (larger than 40MB, so now I've dated myself) and he joked about finding me a really physically huge one about ten years old that would have been as big as the rest of the PC, if not one of those ones the size of a clothes washer...but maybe only held 5 MB. He knew what I meant, of course, he was just pulling my chain (and I ended up with a 120MB hard drive that was cheaper than the 40MB had been).

And yes MB is not a typo; I still remember how excited I was to get a 1/2 GB hard drive the next time after that.

(Of course with cameras, physical size of the sensor is much more of a consideration than physical size of a hard drive, so using the word "larger" for pickle count is, as you point out, fraught with hazards.)

Upvote 0