DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
can be reused in minutes

Reused in minutes means nothing when your intended target just flew into the trees... If the Groom just kissed the Bride. If the bouquet was just tossed in the air.

It overheats. The severity depends on which YouTube tool you worship. If you like taking game boy sized photos, have at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Reused in minutes means nothing when your intended target just flew into the trees... If the Groom just kissed the Bride. If the bouquet was just tossed in the air.

It overheats. The severity depends on which YouTube tool you worship. If you like taking game boy sized photos, have at it.
LOL, go ahead and try to use the Canon's for video and kiss your client goodbye.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I understand the frustration and although a stills only shooter I do not like overheating in principle.

As there are many angry people regarding video I wonder if I could find any angry people to try to find issues In stills shooting.

Like shooting a few thousands of shots a day or …. wait … try to do a very old DR test: Shooting a dark object at -5EV and recovering shadows afterwards. Now my EOS 5DIV had its lmits and I just tried my EOS R which seemed fine at -3 but revealing some color patches at -4 (when the target is a black cloth). I haven't done the same test with 5DIV but it had its issues at these extreme settings.

I guess SONY fanboys would like to test R5 and R6 for that!

Before you think I try to troll Canon it's quite the opposite.

I use Canon 5DIV with 500mm to shoot the moonrise behind an ancient temple from a big distance.

Depending on the moonrise time and the sun setting time the sky sometimes retains some nice blue color and sometimes it does not. I try to lift the sky to make it deep blue instead of dark (something I wouldn't dare with my 5DIII) but still not quite there with my 5DIV (some patches appear sometimes as black lines, sometime random). The effects are not very strong and I try to compensate by darkening the sky but I would like a notch better performance.

I do not like multiple exposures I think of them as cheating.

Apart from this specific case my 5DIV (and R) are super nice cameras that I can use in low light situations and be happy about them.

SInce R5 has one stop more DR than R (see photonsandphotos) I think there is a chance to get the little something more I desire for this kind of shooting.

P.S Unfortunately (or fortunately for cost reasons) the next "window" for the specific kind of shooting is now next year ( June, July and August). I hope someone will have test R5 to exhaustion by then!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Both obviously.
Because it's complicated for you: A7sIII for video, A7r IV for stills

You’re just a rude one all the way around aren’t you? It isn’t complicated “for me” at all.

The A7SIII is useless to me because of it’s sensor size. TO ME. YMMV.

A7R IV lags the R5 in every aspect except sensor resolution. But okay. You go right ahead. We won’t even go into available lens selection.

Your definition of something ‘blowing something out of the water’ is much different than mine.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I tested R5 and R6 just now and I find the camera body barely warm while the overheat sign shows .It is almost like a software limitation intended by Canon .I bet a firmware update will fix all the significant overheat issue hype over the internet .

If it's just aggressive firmware limits that would be awesome. Easy fix.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
To me, Canon did not promise a supercar (lik Bugatti or Ferrari), they promised an Audi RS4 or BMW M5 (still 450HP) but delivered (mostly) a 150HP Audi A4 or BMW 5xx! ;)

In camera language, the R5 [even without overheating] won't replace the "supercar" cinema cameras (like Arris, RED's, or C500/700's) anytime soon. However as is, it is not much better than what is available in class for most use cases.

This is all fine, just announce the venerable A4 that you build.
My point was whatever the headline performance figure might be there are always limitations. Personally I don’t think the performance limits in the R5 are unreasonable for the price form factor and specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
...they are no use to me.
Well it took 200+ replies but someone finally understands. Note that no use to you does not mean useless to everyone. Or crippled. Or poorly designed. Or poorly engineered. It doesn't mean ZOMG CANON LIED! It doesn't mean there should be a recall.

And if you want a two body system, the A7sIII and A7r IV blow the Canon duo out of the water I'm afraid.
No need to fear. For stills, the R5 is superior to the A7r IV in every way except MP count. So for a primary stills shooter the Sony combo is not better. And also for the stills shooter that wants to be able to dabble with 8K, 4KHQ the R5 is the only answer. I don't shoot weddings, I am not a videoographer. An R5 + thousands spend on RF lenses is much more useful to me than two Sony cameras, both of which are inferior taking stills and one of which is superior taking lower quality video of which I have little use.

Etienne said:
The Sony when it does overheat can be reused in minutes, the Canon takes hours.
As I said in a different post when the Canon overheats you can switch to 4K30. When the Sony overheats you have to wait those minutes (assuming you have a fan handy) or longer. What if the overheating occurs at a critical moment? The R5 can record at lower quality, the Sony records nothing. Again use cases and requirements differ.

I get you like Sony's offerings more. I think you should buy them. But hopefully you can understand that for many (including myself) the R5 is a dream camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
LOL. No it doesn't. This is why posts like yours need to be called out for the complete and total BS they are.

The body DOES NOT OVERHEAT WHEN SHOOTING STILLS. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SHOOT STILLS in even hot weather, and extreme conditions.

Just ignore any user reports to the contrary, right? All caps means it could never happen, right?

NOBODY besides two random people on the internet posting on message forums has provided ANY evidence, or even a suggestion that it overheats with stills. To the contrary there are plenty of videos that state that IT NEVER GETS LOCKED OUT OF STILLS.

Which videos tested for this? Show me a video of a guy shooting hard...realistic but hard...on the Vegas strip right now when it's north of 100F. No failures and I'll be convinced the report we have here was a bad battery or out of spec unit.

Until then I'm not going to stomp my feet and TYPE IN ALL CAPS if someone wonders aloud about possible thermal issues with stills.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0