Adobe has released DNG Converter 12.4 Beta, adds EOS R5 and EOS R6 support

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Just got my R5 today and disappointed Adobe hasn’t updated ACR to work yet, just DNG converter and that’s a beta.
I thought my CFexpress card had an issue when it came up with unable to import image as corrupted. :eek: I then realised it was Lightroom not the card. Phew. But so disappointing that Adobe are slow off the mark. I bet they have had access to the code for months so really frustrating it doesn't support the R5.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Finally im trying some eos R6 raw files. I can't believe how it manages 4000 iso and push up the shadows, being totally usable.. working with this camera in weddings will be pure joy
Wow, I didn't think the R6 shipped until next month, are you press?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I thought my CFexpress card had an issue when it came up with unable to import image as corrupted. :eek: I then realised it was Lightroom not the card. Phew. But so disappointing that Adobe are slow off the mark. I bet they have had access to the code for months so really frustrating it doesn't support the R5.

Adobe still has no profile for the RP and M6II and only a hacked profile for the R. So I'm not really expecting Adobe to catch up in 2020.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Adobe still has no profile for the RP and M6II and only a hacked profile for the R. So I'm not really expecting Adobe to catch up in 2020.
I never had any issues downloading RAW files from my R into Lightroom Classic and it converted them straight to DNG. I'm not an expert in Lightroom and didn't download any extra software so may be missing something?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm happy with the processing of my R files in Lightroom. Why do you say the profile is hacked?

Adobe has said they based it on the 5D4 profile, they didn't do it from scratch. We know at least the microlenses are different between the 5d4 and R, maybe the CFA has been tweaked as well.
Having said that, the few pictures I took with the (rented) R and imported into LR looked good enough to me. It was the M6II that triggered me, all skin tones are zombie grey for my kids. Thanks to sunblock and judicious use of sun hats, they are milk-bottle pale toddlers, so there's not much colour to work with, but they aren't zombies :)

Thanks to prodding by @privatebydesign I now have a colour passport to create custom profiles, which I will to when my R5 gets here. Or when the rental r5 shows up in 2 weeks, whichever happens first.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
The Mac OS (v.10.13-10.15) version of Adobe DNG Converter 12.4 Beta can be found here: https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6969
Hi, I have located the DNG converter and installed it. I'm pretty sure everything was done OK, however when I go to select a file, it finds the card, but all of the images are greyed out and cannot be selected. Any ideas? I've tried uninstalling and installing again but nope, no change. Soo frustrating

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Hi, I have located the DNG converter and installed it. I'm pretty sure everything was done OK, however when I go to select a file, it finds the card, but all of the images are greyed out and cannot be selected. Any ideas? I've tried uninstalling and installing again but nope, no change. Soo frustrating
It worked fine on files on my hard disk. Perhaps it doesn't work on files on a card and you need to copy them to a hard disk first?

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
It worked fine on files on my hard disk. Perhaps it doesn't work on files on a card and you need to copy them to a hard disk first?
Thanks for your help. I have managed to sort the issue and it was nothing wrong with the DNG Converter, my card or MAC. Basically, I assumed you select the files in the folder but in actuality you just select the folder and then the converter imports all the files within that folder and converts them all, saving them to a folder of your choice which you can then import into Lightroom. Sorted. My bad, it was me and not the programme but all good now, although it's a bit long winded to do but no other alternative until Adobe add the R5 Plugin to Lightroom. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
So disappointing! DNG files suck, skin colours with DNG files are terrible.
I got my R5 And I don't feel like using it because it ruins my workflow.
Talking about overheating... Not having Lightroom support is THE problem :mad::geek:

The DNG converter doesn't produce great results that's for sure. I find they are also 2/3 of a stop darker then when viewed through canon's DPP. Unfortunately it's the only solution available for DNG conversion at the moment.

I just really hope that when Adobe adds full suport for R5 in Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw that the results are improved. Camera matching profiles are also much needed!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
What's your guess on how long 'til we see Lightroom Classic support of native R5 & R6 CR3's?
Hi all,

I reached out to Adobe today and the chat person didn't know, but said that it could take up to 3 more months.

He recommended posting here to get more attention from their team: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Maybe if enough people request it the priority level will increase. Such a pain not being able to look at the images without annoying workarounds!

• Wow
Upvote 0
Hi all,

I reached out to Adobe today and the chat person didn't know, but said that it could take up to 3 more months.

He recommended posting here to get more attention from their team: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Maybe if enough people request it the priority level will increase. Such a pain not being able to look at the images without annoying workarounds!
Maybe Adobe did not get a camera in the first shipment? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0