Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

Jan 29, 2011
Sure but at the moment the R5 isn’t really being reviewed as a stills camera. Canon hasn’t gotten in front of the messaging to say this either. With the lack of messaging or narrative by Canon, the media (YouTubers, websites, etc) has taken over with most coverage being devoted on testing of video capabilities as opposed to camera capabilities. Canon needs to come out with a message ASAP.
No there are a decent number of stills orientated reviews out there now and without exception every single one praises the R5 as a major leap in stills performance by Canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Interestingly, when the reports first came out, people were complaining that the CFE card was hot after a few minutes of use, now the argument is that is is not hot at all.

Actual cool down time is 2 minutes? The camera is sealed and the body is magnesium ally and doesn't dissipate the heat that quickly, so where did the heat go to?
Seems magnesium is not a great insulator. The temp readings come from the internal sensors.

Upvote 0
My man... All i want is a perfect camera, and R5 can be that perfect camera, all i want is for Canon to fix it. Im just a dude who travels and takes photos and videos of my travels, right now i have to carry 2 boddies to achive everyting i want, but im waiting for the perfect camera that can do both. Like i dont understand why everyone is defending R5? why is everyone so keen on defending canon? If we all collectively complain enough MAYBE, just MAYBE this overheating will be solved, we all know now its a timer, we all know now that its software based, so maybe instead of defending canon and telling me to get a competitor, i already got a competitor i shoot on sony ATM, but its not perfect, a7r4 is inferior in video but superior in photos and a7s3 is superior in video but inferior in photos, i dont want 2 boddies i want 1 perfect camera, if canon just fixed the overheating it will be it, it will be THE perfect camera. so i will complain until it is :) and i dont understand why people defending a brand, its just a logo dude, its not a team, i shoot any camera that is good, today its sony and canon, tomorow it will be nikkon, but one day i will get the perfect camera, and i hope that R5 is that camera :) it looks great, it feels great, it smells great, it just needs to recored the god damn 4k 60p unlimited and i will call it my forever camera :)
I’m lobbying for GM to fix my Chevy so that it will perform like a Porsche. Still waiting. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Actual cool down time is 2 minutes? The camera is sealed and the body is magnesium ally and doesn't dissipate the heat that quickly, so where did the heat go to?

Dude all pro cameras made out of magnesium alloy, its not a thermos, 3 hours is ridiculous, but even say it isnt' it doesn't even work in the FRIDGE man, and 3 hours is rediculous, you can put a peace of metal in a fire and get it red hot, after 3 hours it will be room temperature, its not realistic, and according to the tests, it cools down to cool 40C within few minutes (tests done with thermal camera) i mean someting is not right here, something is not right 100%

A cool down time of 2 minutes? really? Even if it is not thermos, my ceramic cup takes longer than 2 minutes to cool down and it's not even sealed nor is it red hot metal, just steeped tea.

But the other point is; the amount of heat generated in a stills camera is much less than a video camera. Just have a look at some of the cinema cameras out there from Canon and Sony. They are much larger than stills cameras for a reason.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The concern we should all share is that these are not limitations in engineering,
Why should I share it?

What kind of expertise in thermal engineering do you have to make such a claim?

Do you realize that temperature is pretty capable of degrading electronics over time, and timers may be necessary to protect the camera aginst such degradation during its projected lifetime?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I hate to say this, but this has boiled down to two groups. One group of people who are upset at the thermal limitations and are seeking understanding for a possible solution or hope of a solution from Canon.
Even this "one" is not a single group. There are wishful thinkers, there are trolls, and there are people genuinely trying to understand.

Unfortunately, the third one of these is very far from being numerous.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
only that we measure the projected lifetime of cameras in shutter counts and minutes recorded not in time in hand, in other words, the longevity of the camera only maters in relation to the time its been used.
Who are those "we"?

And what is the "shutter count" for an electronic shutter?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
All i want ist 4k 24 and 4k60. BUt i would prefer if canon gave me oversampled 4k and 8k as a viable option. otherwise this camera is inferior to a7RIV by every measure

You started by sounding fairly reasonable but this is a stretch.

My man... All i want is a perfect camera, and R5 can be that perfect camera, all i want is for Canon to fix it. Im just a dude who travels and takes photos and videos of my travels, right now i have to carry 2 boddies to achive everyting i want, but im waiting for the perfect camera that can do both. Like i dont understand why everyone is defending R5? why is everyone so keen on defending canon? If we all collectively complain enough MAYBE, just MAYBE this overheating will be solved, we all know now its a timer, we all know now that its software based, so maybe instead of defending canon and telling me to get a competitor, i already got a competitor i shoot on sony ATM, but its not perfect, a7r4 is inferior in video but superior in photos and a7s3 is superior in video but inferior in photos, i dont want 2 boddies i want 1 perfect camera, if canon just fixed the overheating it will be it, it will be THE perfect camera. so i will complain until it is :) and i dont understand why people defending a brand, its just a logo dude, its not a team, i shoot any camera that is good, today its sony and canon, tomorow it will be nikkon, but one day i will get the perfect camera, and i hope that R5 is that camera :) it looks great, it feels great, it smells great, it just needs to recored the god damn 4k 60p unlimited and i will call it my forever camera :)

If you're waiting for a 'perfect camera' then you're in for a long wait. No such product exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist.

I'm not defending anything. I'm countering points that are unfair or misleading. Why does everything have to be boiled down to 'attack' or 'defence'?

You say it's just about a tool for a job, but then characterise every point you disagree with as 'defending a brand'. You can add as many smiley faces as you like, it doesn't make what you're saying any less self-contradictory or confused :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
And this is exactly what I was referring to in my opening paragraph. Instead of discussing the information at hand you immediately jump to 'all the idiots.' BTW, if this is an intentional limitation to protect the cinema line then Canon has cheated their customers. They did not announce "Revolutionary video features (for up to 20 minutes from a cold start then you must wait 2 hours to use them again)."

Hmm, all the accounts created with a single post that have shown up on CR just to bash on the R5 qualifies them as ID 10 T's to me. BTW if there is an intentional limitation that is protecting the Camera then Canon has protected their customers. Real shame that yours and others first thought is everyone is out to cheat them.

Wonder why Canon is only showing their best side in advertising they are paying for??? Shameful marketing focusing the narrative on only what they want...

mar·ket·ing

"the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising."

Don't you mean your straw man? People have taken IR cameras to these bodies and demonstrated that record limits and recovery times are not driven only by temperatures. Which means somebody absolutely could run into a limit with a seemingly cool camera regardless of your personal experience. People have hit limits doing nothing more than browsing the menu. Does your R5 get notably warm after browsing the menu?

A IR Camera can demonstrate temperature for sure. FACT√. The rest of your statement is just a WAG. You see an IR Camera cannot read the code running in the Camera it can only show you a single data point. That you make the leap to this as proof that there is something underhanded going on is more a reflection of you.

Yep my Camera gets warm when current is applied, Canon has not figured out how to break the laws of physics.

No one should toss that around as a fact. But no one should attack someone for presenting it as a possibility. Right now it is one of three theories which fit the facts. (The other two being firmware bugs and real hardware limitations.)

I agree no one should be tossing it around as fact, yet here we are everyday someone does just that so I call them ID 10 T's...

Look, we get it. You only needs stills and/or line skipped 4k. To those who need the other modes it is useless for an extended period.

I do not think you get it at all... To those that NEED the other modes what the ****** were they using 3 weeks ago for 8K, 4K120, 4K HQ, or even 4K60? Did those solutions disappear once the R5 was released or did they never really NEED anything? I get wanting these things but want and need are really very different things.

Other people have tried the freezer and gotten nothing. Even if the freezer reliably worked...is this what we've come to? "Revolutionary video features (so long as you have a freezer handy)."

Nope, I think putting a $6k (CDN) in the freezer is pretty stupid but it is his/her camera and they are free to do what they feel they need to do. No idea why others have not had success but I am not going to leap to it is some plot to cheat customers.

Well, for starters, instead of just ignoring threads discussing the issue or at least acknowledging there is an issue for some, people who don't have an issue with these limitations jump to statements like 'all the idiots' in reference to long time forum members.

I have discussed this issue ALOT and I am more then willing to continue to discuss the issue with sane and rational people that do not jump to conclusions based on what "I" see as clear bias towards Canon as company. With each data point that can even slightly seen as underhanded "all these idiots" leap to CRIPPLE HAMMER... It is tiresome.

No, I do not think you get it. These threads are for Canon users to discuss R5 and R6 thermal issues, possible work arounds, and information which might lead to some idea of whether or not Canon can and/or will fix it. If you don't have a thermal issue, you don't need to be in a thread about thermal issues playing white knight for Canon. Canon will survive without you. In fact if 'all the idiots' get their way and Canon mitigates these thermal issues, R5 and R6 sales will only increase.

My last point before I place you back on ignore is I am "playing white knight' as you say because there is a campaign of disinformation and half truths stated as FACT going on and I do not suffer fools gladly.

you don't need to be in a thread

You spelled ****** off wrong.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
+++++ it looks great, it feels great, it smells great, it just needs to recored the god damn 4k 60p unlimited and i will call it my forever camera

AM: it does record 4K60 All-I for 2.5 hours at least. So, stop complaining and call this your forever camera Already

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
it doesnt, it records 4k60 for 35 minutes. its all in the manual
Yeah...? What’s this then? Sony A7r5?
read what is says : 4K60, with or without card with battery grip : 2.5 hours.

0b6bf22f-4f92-43b4-a8d8-6bc6074e3439-jpeg.192119

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
mirrorless cameras still have a normal shutter you know :D but its beyond the point, we tell the physical age by the shutter count right?
Who are those "we", again?

I don't. The only thing that the mechanical shutter count tells me is how likely I will need to replace the mechanical shutter in the near future, an event that is costly but not necessarily ends the camera life if the camera is still serviceable.

like when i buy a 2nd hand camera i dont care if its from 1985 or 2019,
Weird.

I would definitely not want to buy a digital camera from 1985. At least not for its primary function.

and We is like the entire photo/video comunity,
Not true.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Ummmmmm browski if i wanted a camera with a battery grip and an Atomos Ninja on the top for vloging, i would have bought RED or some shit, this isn't canon r5, this is a Pro video rig. I want it to work without gadgets
Yeah right. Atmos Ninja is cheaper than CFE cards. And you do not need battery grip. just pop the card out and record to ninja. same cost.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
ahh dude... this isnt Republican/democrat Debate, I dont need your little bullet points and snarky remarks,
Then why did you start it?

Now some of US, the video/photo vlogger pees are on a mission to get this camera fixed,
Is that something of that "Republican/democrat" thingy?

and you can be a brother and not get in a way.
For that, I'm afraid, you will need to ask the laws of physics, not me.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Dude, im a traveler, i use a camera for filming vlogs and taking pictures on my travels, i cant carry this rig. It beast the whole point of having a mirrorless camera, im allrady forced to use some shitty APS-C 10-18mm cropped lens for vloging on this thing, cause canon RF glass is too heavy, so im gona pass on the Ninja i dont care how much it costs i just want it to work as it is, without gadgets. i dont shoot films, i dont shoot weadings, i shoot my life while i travel so form factor is one of the biggest things for me
Canon will fix it for you way before you will afford your next travel. They will introduce a lower bandwidth codecs (via a firmware update) that will extend filming times, 1080p/120 and clog 3. Good enough for the “photo/video community“ as you put it. :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I do not think you get it at all... To those that NEED the other modes what the ****** were they using 3 weeks ago for 8K, 4K120, 4K HQ, or even 4K60? Did those solutions disappear once the R5 was released or did they never really NEED anything? I get wanting these things but want and need are really very different things.

Yep. That's what gets me about this entire controversy. Stuff was totally unavailable before. Now, because it's somewhat available, but not unlimited, the only camera that provides it at all is unusable crap? That is indeed spoiled child behavior.

I have discussed this issue ALOT and I am more then willing to continue to discuss the issue with sane and rational people that do not jump to conclusions based on what "I" see as clear bias towards Canon as company. With each data point that can even slightly seen as underhanded "all these idiots" leap to CRIPPLE HAMMER... It is tiresome.

Yep, about a week ago people turned on a dime and decided that instead of there being thermal issues, there weren't thermal issues and Canon was being deceptive, and we've had a parade of new users show up to troll us with that line. Including the guy you were replying to. And yes a few much older users who had been away for so long I didn't recognize them on return--I wonder if their accounts got hacked?

I personally suspect that there's a combination of a bona fide temperature sensor (or sensors) and a timer that operates on the assumption that people won't void their camera warranty by opening it up, defeating door sensors, etc. Now why is that timer there? Could it be it was a simple effective solution to avoid having to put many, many sensors in and devote more (heat generating) processor time to running an elaborate thermal model (all of which would have cost more money by the way)? As people have pointed out, we don't know how much of this is to prevent long term degradation of electronics due to running at just below the instant damage threshold. But no, the cripple hammer idiots (yeah, I'll agree with your usage, Ramage) leap to the conclusion this is someone trying to rip them off. In some cases it's ignorant people unable to imagine that they don't understand the situation, so they jump to the easiest answer they can think of, in others I suspect there are just people out there who assume that anyone more successful in life than they are got there by stealing or defrauding people. But when someone starts off imputing bad motives on the part of a particular actor, it's really hard to convince that someone otherwise, because any action can have sinister motives ascribed to it. If Canon put out a fix tomorrow, like these people are demanding, they'd simply consider it as proof that Canon is covering up. If they don't (like, maybe, because physics is real and can't be overcome by software), then that's just Canon continuing to try to rip them off.

• Love
Upvote 0