Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

This link should say it all about the overheating issue https://www.eoshd.com/news/this-is-...-straight-until-empty-battery-video-evidence/

Sorry it doesn’t say anything other than you can fool the camera into recording for longer. It doesn’t tell you the medium or long term effect, but it does perhaps point to the method that Canon use is fallible to hacking.

Eos Hd was not the first to do this. There are a couple of guys from DPR and FM who did. But they are not suggesting it is a fix and even warned against possible impact to the Camera in their video.

Bottom line, if Andrew isn’t happy I suspect he could easily get a refund (well until he started doing some of the tests which bypass Canon controls). Taking it to a small claims court as he has threatened will he met with the response “did you ask for a refund and get denied?” No? Well you have no reason to be here unless that fails.

It’s his website, he can do what he likes, post what he likes, threaten Canon but ultimately I do not think his motives are he’s trying to champion the cause to make a better product or get the current one fixed.

You are free to share that here, of course, but I suspect other people in the forum will continue to say the same thing “get a refund if you’re not happy overall, cancel your pre order”, or don’t order it.... it’s great to have choice / options...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I understand. I think any stills shooters should just hire it for a day, or if they have a friendly dealer and the funds, then go try it there.

OK, I am a bit confused by this. Why would stills shooters want to do that, rather than buy the camera, which from their point of view is fantastic?

If anything, it seems your advice would make sense more for video-oriented people, to see if they like what it does enough to be willing to work around the issues.

Upvote 0
As a commercial photographer who dabbles in video (mostly b-roll for social and the occasional brand video) about 80% of what I deliver is still images. For this reason, the r5 limitations didn’t seem like they would be a big issue for me ..until I got one in hand. On a studio shoot for a whisky brand, I took my buddies r5 for a spin. I got some product stills and wanted to try a slow motion pour shot. It gave me about 5 minutes (mostly used to frame out my shot) before overheating.

Why is there not better 1080 options available? I’d love to work with 1080 120 (or better yet 240) and a good 4K downsampled. Am I alone here?

I’ve been wanting to start my transition to the RF system since it’s release but just haven’t felt like it was a safe move. As professionals, we need to depend on our gear and for my purposes the R5 is just not that tool yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As a commercial photographer who dabbles in video (mostly b-roll for social and the occasional brand video) about 80% of what I deliver is still images. For this reason, the r5 limitations didn’t seem like they would be a big issue for me ..until I got one in hand. On a studio shoot for a whisky brand, I took my buddies r5 for a spin. I got some product stills and wanted to try a slow motion pour shot. It gave me about 5 minutes (mostly used to frame out my shot) before overheating.

Why is there not better 1080 options available? I’d love to work with 1080 120 (or better yet 240) and a good 4K downsampled. Am I alone here?

I’ve been wanting to start my transition to the RF system since it’s release but just haven’t felt like it was a safe move. As professionals, we need to depend on our gear and for my purposes the R5 is just not that tool yet.
Many are hoping Canon will add some of the additional modes you mention in a firmware upgrade. It is frustrating waiting for this to happen. Canon should give some guidance as to what can be expected in future firmware along with the timeframe.

Upvote 0
As a programmer, I can see the possible logic of Canon's implementation of the thermal shutdown and recovery. The Digic processor is small as size is at a premium in a small form factor (smaller than a desktop for sure) and also from a heat generation perspective. So, how do they code the the camera to shutdown and recover? 1) There is a difference between shutting down and cooling off. When cooling off, the camera is disabled from normal operations, so you can use the thermal sensors to monitor the temperature. 2) When normal shooting, one can trigger a timer when certain functions (8K video) is activated. Canon may not want to constantly monitor the temperatures as that would mean unnecessary cpu cycles when action activated timer would be more efficient. (the heat generation for each different activity can easily determined in a lab).

The above scenario would explain why the R5 seems to have a timer shutdown and a temperature based cool off. This is only speculation on my part, but it seems likely based on some of the facts revealed in outside tests. In reality, there would likely be a more complex set of logic implemented into the camera but one that is based on a timer and temperature sensor.

Upvote 0
OK, I am a bit confused by this. Why would stills shooters want to do that, rather than buy the camera, which from their point of view is fantastic?

If anything, it seems your advice would make sense more for video-oriented people, to see if they like what it does enough to be willing to work around the issues.
Oh, sorry, as in if people here are unsure due to the FUD, hire it and see for themselves, rather than get bewildered by all the commentary here...

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at how much effort people would invest in this. Has anyone spent that much effort into other brands' cameras? What's the point? Do they think that if they prove Canon cripple hammered the camera for whatever reason, it will remove the limitations?
Everybody shoots at #1 to try to knock them off their perch.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Oh, sorry, as in if people here are unsure due to the FUD, hire it and see for themselves, rather than get bewildered by all the commentary here...

OK...nonetheless there is no FUD for stills, it's only where it's a combination of the two, or video only, that there is any FUD.

I agree with this. 1080/120 should have about the same bit rate as normal 4k/30, and I would be surprised if it were an overheating mode. 240 would have the same bitrate as 4k/60...and if I recall that's an overheating mode. So they could do that but many would not like the result. ;) 4k downsampled? Not sure if that would overheat or not; depends on how much work it is to downsample. I'd err on the side of going ahead and providing the modes, if I thought customers were rational, but putting them out there and having them overheat would cause people to throw such a fit that Canon perhaps shouldn't do it at all (ruining it for everyone, including those willing/able to tolerate/work around the restrictions).

Upvote 0
Someone has found a workaround to get usable video files indefinitely when formating the SD card to FAT32. This created new DAT files every ~45 seconds when recording 8k so you only loose the last FAT32 file. You just need to plan on finishing your recording a minute before the timer kicks in and then allow the last FAT32 file to be created by continuing to record. The last DAT file can then be tossed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
has Magic Lantern cracked any recent camera?
The most recent fully working one is the EOS M. But they have dumped the ROMs and have emulation running for most of the newer cameras except the R5/6 but I suspect those are comming soon. They don't need to have a fully working ROM to know what Canon is doing under the hood. By the time they have it working in an emulator they can definitely tell what is going on.

Upvote 0