Gordon Laing explains the updates in firmware v1.1.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
My only concern is the R6. It is hit the hardest since it has no full sensor 4K modes that don't overheat.

I don't personally know many videographers besides event videographers who record more than 2 minutes at a time. I personally don't when making commercials etc.

If they apply this same fix to the R6, so I can record lots of short clips, I will be ordering two. If not, looks like I will be going Sony A7S3 or A7IV when it comes out.

Anyone preordered the R6 here?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
In my own thermal tests in hot sun, the camera was quite predictable and did overheat, and disabling IBIS and the EVF made things cool much faster and last longer. It makes perfect sense to me that even idle, just running the processor and EVF and IBIS, produces enough heat inside the sealed body that must flow away from the sensitive components where temp sensors will be placed. So no conspiracy after all, just a sub optimal algorithm that has now been improved. Can it be improved more without compromising safety and long term reliability of the camera? Can lighter codecs help? How many people actually need this and cannot just use an external recorder vs all the whining and negativity?

I am a still shooter mainly landscape and travel photography. I rarely use the video features.

Do you think it’s unreasonable to expect the R5 costs AUD$7000 to able to shoot stills all day and then occasionally shoot up to 5 minutes of HQ K4 and/or 4K 120fps video reliably when I want/need?

Getting an external recorder isn’t economic and practical as I hardly shoot video. The cost and extra space/weight when travelling and hiking just for occasional <5 minutes of high resolution 4K video.

Upvote 0
I am a still shooter mainly landscape and travel photography. I rarely use the video features.

Do you think it’s unreasonable to expect the R5 costs AUD$7000 to able to shoot stills all day and then occasionally shoot up to 5 minutes of HQ K4 and/or 4K 120fps video reliably when I want/need?

Getting an external recorder isn’t economic and practical as I hardly shoot video. The cost and extra space/weight when travelling and hiking just for occasional <5 minutes of high resolution 4K video.
but if you rarely use video features then this is the camera for you. it's people that use this as a true hyrbrid that have a problem with it, when their work is more 50/50. then it has issues.

also if you rarely shoot video I would have to wonder if you even really need 4k oversampled versus 4K30p normally, as nolifedigital has shown, there's little difference between the two - especially for those cases you need to run for much longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's sad how places like DPReview are completely taken over by trolls. While before there were some of them, now almost every single comment is total trolling or subjective opinions. They should do like IMDB and switch them off completely, there is no value added.

And it mostly seems to come from a single brand, a filter option based on the 'gear owned' would hide 95% of the trolls.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
I have a better firmware update: don't buy it for video! It's still a better - and cheaper - camera for wildlife, landscapes and portraits then the Sony's "flagship" in variety of aspects.
Forget the marketing blunder and ignore the whole online stupidity of click bait drama queens.
I really can't agree with that statement, and it makes me highly doubt your qualifications in marketing.
The demand for video content has been higher than ever, with youtube growing at astounding speeds, along with social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok pushing more and more video oriented features.

There is a reason that Sony, Panasonic, and Canon are all pushing their hybrids, or video oriented cameras as much as possible.

There is a reason Canon marketed this as the ultimate Video Hybrid.

If you market something, and it doesn't do what you marketed it as, it isn't a marketing blunder, it is false advertising. This firmware is not optional. It is necessary.

Upvote 0
It's sad how places like DPReview are completely taken over by trolls. While before there were some of them, now almost every single comment is total trolling or subjective opinions. They should do like IMDB and switch them off completely, there is no value added.
what i find interesting about dpreview is how many sub 200 message accounts are flooding the R forums. All of them morally offended by the R5 and obviously had on and returned it (well that's perhaps an exaggeration).

you know .. like how many new accounts popped up here

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I really can't agree with that statement, and it makes me highly doubt your qualifications in marketing.
The demand for video content has been higher than ever, with youtube growing at astounding speeds, along with social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok pushing more and more video oriented features.
Do they actually need a $4k 8K-capable camera with bird eye in flight autofocus, though? Would they pay that amount of money just for their TikTok camera?

Or is this a camera for a slightly different user?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

janmaly

EOS R5
Aug 11, 2020
I don’t believe you. If that is true, you turned your camera on did nothing with it no photos or video and it gave you an overheat warning after ten minutes it is broken as that is not what other users are reporting.
Beleive in what you want. Take your R5 out of bag on a sunny day, turn it on, hang it on your nack, for about 10min randomly look into a EVF/display and after that time check you video mode - 8K/4K HQ. Pretty sure your camera will look exctly the same as mine. No neet to take any videos/photos.

Unfortunately have no other proof than this. As soon at this happens again I will capture more evidence. :)))

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 11.37.56.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 11.37.56.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Do they actually need a $4k 8K-capable camera with bird eye in flight autofocus, though? Would they pay that amount of money just for their TikTok camera?

Or is this a camera for a slightly different user?
Oh no, I am not implying you need an R5 for social media videos. I am saying that if you purchase an R5, it needs to have the video features it claims. It was marketed as a hybrid camera breakthrough. It needs to be usable in equal capacity.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Out of all the reviewers, Gordon is one of the only ones worth anything. Constructive, intelligent, and not a sensationalist. Adult enough to be nuanced and careful even when criticism is warranted, and able to realize when it is not.

His conclusions make a ton of physical sense. The amount of capability in this camera generates real, problematic heat, just like any decent test shows where people aren't forcing it or disabling safeties. Canon is using 3 sensors to protect internal components for long life of the components, just like any other modern high speed circuit that throttles or shuts down (hard drives, CPU, tons of things have thermal limits). Overheating ASIC and sensors repeatedly can and will degrade them.

Very sensible that ambient temperature is measured in order to predict record time as a function of starting temp plus expected temp rise over time in that mode. That isn't actually a bad way to do it if you want to keep a conservative safe limit for the dies of the chips and sensor. Sure, if the product didn't have the huge sensor and processor activity and strong IBIS and weather sealing, it would cool better and run longer or indefinitely, but we are back to square one where any intelligent testing shows real thermal issues and the product does what Canon says without any conspiracy. People can hack all they want or complain that Canon should sample the temperature constantly and raise the limit, but without the whole engineering picture it is irresponsible to say we know better.

In my own thermal tests in hot sun, the camera was quite predictable and did overheat, and disabling IBIS and the EVF made things cool much faster and last longer. It makes perfect sense to me that even idle, just running the processor and EVF and IBIS, produces enough heat inside the sealed body that must flow away from the sensitive components where temp sensors will be placed. So no conspiracy after all, just a sub optimal algorithm that has now been improved. Can it be improved more without compromising safety and long term reliability of the camera? Can lighter codecs help? How many people actually need this and cannot just use an external recorder vs all the whining and negativity?

Sadly the comments on Gordon's video are the same confirmation bias trash we knew they would be be already: proof of the cripple hammer, fake timer, blah blah blah. I'd say these people are all paid shills for another brand, but the truth is sadder than that- average video crowd is just that dense and spoiled.
I couldn't agree more ! (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
On Gordon's video around 55s, the external one is near to the ports. The two internal ones are near the AF & Imaging sensor. That's what Canon UK told him.
From a technical perspective, this is getting more confusing with every new bit of information.

Two temperature sensors on imaging sensor assembly (and none in the Digic X) suggests that the microprocessor does not overheat at all. However if true, internal vs external recording should have approximately the same limitations.

I doubt this is information is accurate. Any microprocessor design should have on-chip thermal sensors (it's "free"). Furthermore, I'd expect that CFexpress cards also have internal thermal sensing (not sure but any NVMe disk should have that). Finally, a thermal management system based on 3 temperature sensors seems overly simple (read amateur hour) for a product like this.
This may just be the "dumbed down" information for the public..

Upvote 0
From a technical perspective, this is getting more confusing with every new bit of information.

Two temperature sensors on imaging sensor assembly (and none in the Digic X) suggests that the microprocessor does not overheat at all. However if true, internal vs external recording should have approximately the same limitations.

I doubt this is information is accurate. Any microprocessor design should have on-chip thermal sensors (it's "free"). Furthermore, I'd expect that CFexpress cards also have internal thermal sensing (not sure but any NVMe disk should have that). Finally, a thermal management system based on 3 temperature sensors seems overly simple (read amateur hour) for a product like this.
This may just be the "dumbed down" information for the public..
Delkin do have a temp sensor on their CFE, I would assume others do also.

Upvote 0
Beleive in what you want. Take your R5 out of bag on a sunny day, turn it on, hang it on your nack, for about 10min randomly look into a EVF/display and after that time check you video mode - 8K/4K HQ. Pretty sure your camera will look exctly the same as mine. No neet to take any videos/photos.

Unfortunately have no other proof than this. As soon at this happens again I will capture more evidence. :)))

Have you contacted Canon? I've certainly not experienced that. I've shot for multiple hours with the camera, and if I am sensible then I can still get a few mins of high bitrate in the first part. Its rubbish weather here today, so I can't try out anything with the new firmware.

In the video, Gordon says Canon confirms if you are using sleep or eco modes, it will start the cooldown, just not as well as complete power off. I've been using both to maximise my video clip side.

But 10 mins in the menu - I would contact Canon as it is possible there is a small fault on yours.

Upvote 0
Out of all the reviewers, Gordon is one of the only ones worth anything. Constructive, intelligent, and not a sensationalist. Adult enough to be nuanced and careful even when criticism is warranted, and able to realize when it is not.

His conclusions make a ton of physical sense. The amount of capability in this camera generates real, problematic heat, just like any decent test shows where people aren't forcing it or disabling safeties. Canon is using 3 sensors to protect internal components for long life of the components, just like any other modern high speed circuit that throttles or shuts down (hard drives, CPU, tons of things have thermal limits). Overheating ASIC and sensors repeatedly can and will degrade them.

Very sensible that ambient temperature is measured in order to predict record time as a function of starting temp plus expected temp rise over time in that mode. That isn't actually a bad way to do it if you want to keep a conservative safe limit for the dies of the chips and sensor. Sure, if the product didn't have the huge sensor and processor activity and strong IBIS and weather sealing, it would cool better and run longer or indefinitely, but we are back to square one where any intelligent testing shows real thermal issues and the product does what Canon says without any conspiracy. People can hack all they want or complain that Canon should sample the temperature constantly and raise the limit, but without the whole engineering picture it is irresponsible to say we know better.

Sadly the comments on Gordon's video are the same confirmation bias trash we knew they would be be already: proof of the cripple hammer, fake timer, blah blah blah. I'd say these people are all paid shills for another brand, but the truth is sadder than that- average video crowd is just that dense and spoiled.
Well Said!

Upvote 0

not really. increased CPU temperature will increase ambient. what it probably means is that Canon is more concerned about a temperature lower than the threshold temperature of the CPU.

they could be simply referring to the actual descrete thermal sensors.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
While all this has been going on, I played with a 1DX III. Amazing camera. But, on the last day I had it, I transferred 1,000 images, then immediately took out my CFExpress card. I was actually shocked at its temperature...I would call it very warm.

These things do get hot. And I would prefer a camera that will stand the test of time.

Upvote 0
Have you contacted Canon? I've certainly not experienced that. I've shot for multiple hours with the camera, and if I am sensible then I can still get a few mins of high bitrate in the first part. Its rubbish weather here today, so I can't try out anything with the new firmware.

In the video, Gordon says Canon confirms if you are using sleep or eco modes, it will start the cooldown, just not as well as complete power off. I've been using both to maximise my video clip side.

But 10 mins in the menu - I would contact Canon as it is possible there is a small fault on yours.
I just sat on my balcony. It's nearly 7pm, I would guess the air temp is around 25 deg, humidity the same as where I did a test earlier. I sat and went through every menu, took pictures of the menus, and then left it on liveview.

before starting, 15mins on 8k25 - which is the same as my tests with the new firmware which I posted on page 3 of this thread.

10 minutes after, I still have 15 mins video. If yours doesnt show this after the firmware, I would contact Canon.

Upvote 0